E-004: DIY: Windshield wiper/ and wiper insert replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Cool E-004: DIY: Windshield wiper/ and wiper insert replacement

The reason I made this DIY because alot of new comer that bought their 2005-2012 RL raise the same question. "where can I get my wiper blade for my RL?" or "how do I replace the wiper?" Its time to settle this common question as I will explaining in detail why 2005-2012 RL wiper does not exist for regular catalog.

****** I do not responsible for your work, DIY at your own risk *****

NOTICE IF YOU DIDN'T MADE THE SAME MISTAKE LIKE MINE, YOU CAN SKIP AND GOES DIRECTLY TO STEP 4.

Step 1

Turn your wiper blade up to this position by turn on your wiper blade and turn the ignition to off position.

Step 2

Use a flat head screw driver to pop the cover like picture showed and remove the cover.

You can see how the clip looks like once it goes back in

Step 3

unscrew the two screw to remove the entire blade (careful not to drop to 2 screws or you will have fun time finding them)

Now you can see why no one out there makes the wiper for 2005-2012 RL. Look at the profile of the wiper

Step 4

I recommend use long nose pliers as its work best for me to squeeze and full as picture directed below (you need to careful not to bent the metal piece that give the wiper rigidity/ tension or your wiper won't wipe at the bent area).

Step 5

The blade side goes as follow
Driver side 28" and Passenger side 19" Whatever brand of your personal reference.

I personally use PIAA Super Silicone insert.

They come with a prep package with instruction how to prep your windshield, my other one written in English and this one is not. Basically clean your windshield then use the supply wipe to wipe down the entire windshield. Wait 10-12 mins before use a damp towel and wipe down your windshield.

Step 6

Make sure you put the notch that secure your insert to the wiper itself facing up like this picture OR you have to remove the entire wiper again to remove the insert.

Step 7

Rinse and repeat for the other side insert.

Step 8

Grab a beer and called it a successful easy DIY, cheer

Finish product.... for those of you wonder why the Red TL hood stay up you can see my progress thread on the 3g TL section.

Last edited by truonghthe; 04-05-2018 at 06:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by truonghthe:
projektvertx (04-06-2018), teh CL (04-07-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Thank you good sir! I'll sticky this. It's kind of sad that with everything I do myself, this is the one task I'd rather outsource
Old 04-07-2018, 04:07 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Nice DIY! I always struggle with installing wiper blades for some reason lol. This will come in handy. PIAA is awesome.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:44 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 rdx wiper mounting point

Originally Posted by truonghthe
The reason I made this DIY because alot of new comer that bought their 2005-2012 RL raise the same question. "where can I get my wiper blade for my RL?" or "how do I replace the wiper?" Its time to settle this common question as I will explaining in detail why 2005-2012 RL wiper does not exist for regular catalog.

****** I do not responsible for your work, DIY at your own risk *****

NOTICE IF YOU DIDN'T MADE THE SAME MISTAKE LIKE MINE, YOU CAN SKIP AND GOES DIRECTLY TO STEP 4.

Step 1

Turn your wiper blade up to this position by turn on your wiper blade and turn the ignition to off position.

Step 2

Use a flat head screw driver to pop the cover like picture showed and remove the cover.

You can see how the clip looks like once it goes back in

Step 3

unscrew the two screw to remove the entire blade (careful not to drop to 2 screws or you will have fun time finding them)

Now you can see why no one out there makes the wiper for 2005-2012 RL. Look at the profile of the wiper

Step 4

I recommend use long nose pliers as its work best for me to squeeze and full as picture directed below (you need to careful not to bent the metal piece that give the wiper rigidity/ tension or your wiper won't wipe at the bent area).

Step 5

The blade side goes as follow
Driver side 28" and Passenger side 19" Whatever brand of your personal reference.

I personally use PIAA Super Silicone insert.

They come with a prep package with instruction how to prep your windshield, my other one written in English and this one is not. Basically clean your windshield then use the supply wipe to wipe down the entire windshield. Wait 10-12 mins before use a damp towel and wipe down your windshield.

Step 6

Make sure you put the notch that secure your insert to the wiper itself facing up like this picture OR you have to remove the entire wiper again to remove the insert.

Step 7

Rinse and repeat for the other side insert.

Step 8

Grab a beer and called it a successful easy DIY, cheer

Finish product.... for those of you wonder why the Red TL hood stay up you can see my progress thread on the 3g TL section.

My question is the mounting point on a 2015 RDX wiper blade is it off set so the blade covers mote of the windshield . I do not have OEM blades and wondering if is wise to replace the after market blades with original equipment. I have seen photographs of the drivers side wiper arm mounting point below the arm itself.