Did the Dealer Dupe Me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the Dealer Dupe Me?

• I have a rebuilt 05 RL. Don't judge me, I have put over 100,000 miles on it and it is the most reliable vehicle I have owned in 50 years. Since I bought it at a very fair price it has had the airbag warning light on. I have in the past had the local dealer scan and determine it's due to the Drivers AB being a later model 06 or 07 and a sensor issue on the passenger side. I lived with it for years then Acura offers a new airbag! Wallah, one issue resolved for free. So they put the new airbag in but I notice it has the same wear and nicks on the AB cover. I understood the cover was part of the AB and I questioned the service department and was told no it is not. So today I'm cruising this great forum to find a thread about the same thing. That the AB and cover go together and it is not possible to replace an airbag without the cover. Can I get some feedback from someone who knows for sure if its true and what I should do now?
Old 04-05-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
I think the airbag system is the one thing that the manufacturer HAS to offer lifetime service on assuming no crashes. The airbag on the driver side comes as one piece with the cover. The dealer won't change the airbag for a cosmetic issue like the trim deteriorating, it would have to affect the functionality of the airbag itself.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Intermediate

But this was a recall to replace the airbag. I guess I didn't make that clear.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by frostbitten
But this was a recall to replace the airbag. I guess I didn't make that clear.
If you're referring to the Takata airbag, that just replaced the canister loaded with the propellant that inflates the airbag. That's separate from the airbag itself. This image should help clarify that, the Takata airbag recall just replaces the inflator/ignitor

Old 04-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Intermediate

Okay that explains it then. I really appreciated the diagram and explanation