Cooling System Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 01:02 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling System Help!

Hey Guys!

So I recently had a small front end collision with my 07 Acura RL - only 32k miles on it and ended up having to get the radiator/condenser, radiators fans, etc replaced.

The radiator and condenser were brand new Denso units and the fans were used (along with the fan control module that mounts on the fan housing).

Once I hooked all the hoses up, I began to fill the radiator with some Honda Coolant. Half a gallon later, the radiator is beginning to get filled to the brim. Was there coolant already in the engine? Are there massive air pockets inside? What's going on?

I ran the car for a little while, with the heat blasting to try to get the coolant moving, hopefully eliminating air pockets. I also had the radiator cap off in some of the runs I did to help burp/bleed the air. Fans haven't turned on yet and I think the longest run I did was about five or so minutes. I tested the fans individually by connecting them directly to the battery and they work good.

Prior to getting the cooling system in, I did have the car run for about a minute or so without a radiator to quickly move it here or there but I've kept an eye on the level of heat and it never went up more than 1/3 on the dash. The system blows hot air out without a problem in the cabin interior.

Both intake and outake hoses eventually got hot - at first, the outake hose was cool and then after a few minutes it began to get hot. Fans never turned on like I said, but I've read that it could be due to air in the system/low coolant.

Does it sound like I have massive air pockets in the engine? A drain and fill is usually around 2.6 gallons for my car, but I managed to put in a total of about 3/4-1 gallon overall.

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated. Want to get this beautiful car back on the road as soon as possible!

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2017, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I use this lisle spill free funnel
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1506560187&sr=8-4&keywords=Lisle https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1506560187&sr=8-4&keywords=Lisle
to remove the air. U can watch it on YouTube on how it’s done.

Originally Posted by RKRL
Hey Guys!

So I recently had a small front end collision with my 07 Acura RL - only 32k miles on it and ended up having to get the radiator/condenser, radiators fans, etc replaced.

The radiator and condenser were brand new Denso units and the fans were used (along with the fan control module that mounts on the fan housing).

Once I hooked all the hoses up, I began to fill the radiator with some Honda Coolant. Half a gallon later, the radiator is beginning to get filled to the brim. Was there coolant already in the engine? Are there massive air pockets inside? What's going on?

I ran the car for a little while, with the heat blasting to try to get the coolant moving, hopefully eliminating air pockets. I also had the radiator cap off in some of the runs I did to help burp/bleed the air. Fans haven't turned on yet and I think the longest run I did was about five or so minutes. I tested the fans individually by connecting them directly to the battery and they work good.

Prior to getting the cooling system in, I did have the car run for about a minute or so without a radiator to quickly move it here or there but I've kept an eye on the level of heat and it never went up more than 1/3 on the dash. The system blows hot air out without a problem in the cabin interior.

Both intake and outake hoses eventually got hot - at first, the outake hose was cool and then after a few minutes it began to get hot. Fans never turned on like I said, but I've read that it could be due to air in the system/low coolant.

Does it sound like I have massive air pockets in the engine? A drain and fill is usually around 2.6 gallons for my car, but I managed to put in a total of about 3/4-1 gallon overall.

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated. Want to get this beautiful car back on the road as soon as possible!

Thanks!