Cool "finds" and features of the RL (Did you know.... )

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:55 AM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is probably in the manual, but as a male, I can't find myself to spend the time reading from cover to cover.

On the audio controls on the steering column, holding down the track advance button will switch to the next CD/DVD-A in your tray.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 PM
8th Gear

When switching between AM and FM or just changing the radio station, all you really need to say is "MMM" and the station number. The radio will figure out if it is AM or FM as the two bands use a different range of numbers. For me, this is better than the presets which I no longer use.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello all,

I have had my 2006 Silver RL for about 9 months now.

I have read through the forum and learned some very interesting things about the car which I had never known.

However, I had some questions.

When you have the heated seat on, it seems as though it only heats your butt, but not your lower back. I used to have an Audi A6 and it used to heat both. I currently have a Lexus SUV and it also does both. Why did Acura choose to only heat my butt?

I must say I don't like this, my butt is toasty, yet my lower back is quite cold.

Also, in the DVD changer for nav in the trunk there is a pci-card slot of some sort. Anyone know the use of this?

If I think of anything else I will let you know.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by retep222
Hello all,

I have had my 2006 Silver RL for about 9 months now.

I have read through the forum and learned some very interesting things about the car which I had never known.

However, I had some questions.

When you have the heated seat on, it seems as though it only heats your butt, but not your lower back. I used to have an Audi A6 and it used to heat both. I currently have a Lexus SUV and it also does both. Why did Acura choose to only heat my butt?

I must say I don't like this, my butt is toasty, yet my lower back is quite cold.

Also, in the DVD changer for nav in the trunk there is a pci-card slot of some sort. Anyone know the use of this?

If I think of anything else I will let you know.
The driver's side heated seat is supposed to heat the butt and the lower back area. The passenger side only heats the butt. Bring it into the dealer if it's not working the way it should.

The PCI card slot in the Nav system is for factory diagnostic use and has no use beyond that. Don't some cars allow MP3's to be played through PC cards inserted into the Nav system?
Old 12-31-2006, 04:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I had only tested the passenger seat, but now I must try the drivers!

I was thinking of either putting some music or trying to transfer my cell phone phone book to the care. It takes forever to enter the names and numbers of people.

Thanks Again
Old 01-02-2007, 12:00 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by legendguy
I was hoping that folks here would post any unusual or interesting "finds" they have noticed on their RL. I have a few that I have found or borrowed from other members of this forum (and another forum that I go to). Some are in the manual as features, but I think are easy to miss. Anyway, here are a bunch of finds you may or may not have seen, please add yours.

1. Hot looking spare - if you lift out the nicely designed jack holder and look at the compact spare you will notice that it is ALLOY rather than the usual steel. Perhaps weight saving? Then unscrew the binding plate and lift out to reveal ... a bright yellow paint job on front side. Good motivator for people to get the original put back on asap.

2. The parking brake on the floor. I have managed to bump it exiting a few times. Still better than the console mounted ones of other cars which just mess with the clean appearance.

3. The rear sunshade automatically retracts when you put the car into reverse.

4. There are two buttons inside the glove box. One is to disable the trunk lock (valet lock-out feature). The other is to open a hidden compartment to store the owner's manual. A hidden compartment, hmmmmm.

5. Auto roll down windows in the rear

6. Rear door windows submerge completely into the rear doors.

7. Also, the doors open wider than previous Legends. The rear doors open almost 90 degrees.

8. You probably know that if you push your fob open 2x and hold it ... all windows and sunroof open. This is great but how do you close them? Well, you insert the key in the door and and turn left (lock) 2x and hold and they all shut back up.

9. Either the right or the left outside mirror can tilt downward when in reverse by selecting the L or R on the control

10. There is a blue strip light found inside each inside door opener. So you can find the door handle in the dark.

11. The windshield spray jets are mounted on that strip of black plastic that overlays the wipers.

12. If you unlock the RL with your fob the door handle lights BRIGHTLY for you.

13. If you push the number button of the CD you are playing, the CD is "paused" until you push the button again.

14. The start is autoregulating, that is to say once you turn the start knob the RL decides how long to crank to start the car. So there is no need to crank for a couple seconds - once you turn to start and release, the car cranks itself the correct amount.
so what year rl and on those all of these feature apply for?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:15 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by legendguy
I was hoping that folks here would post any unusual or interesting "finds" they have noticed on their RL. I have a few that I have found or borrowed from other members of this forum (and another forum that I go to). Some are in the manual as features, but I think are easy to miss. Anyway, here are a bunch of finds you may or may not have seen, please add yours.

1. Hot looking spare - if you lift out the nicely designed jack holder and look at the compact spare you will notice that it is ALLOY rather than the usual steel. Perhaps weight saving? Then unscrew the binding plate and lift out to reveal ... a bright yellow paint job on front side. Good motivator for people to get the original put back on asap.

2. The parking brake on the floor. I have managed to bump it exiting a few times. Still better than the console mounted ones of other cars which just mess with the clean appearance.

3. The rear sunshade automatically retracts when you put the car into reverse.

4. There are two buttons inside the glove box. One is to disable the trunk lock (valet lock-out feature). The other is to open a hidden compartment to store the owner's manual. A hidden compartment, hmmmmm.

5. Auto roll down windows in the rear

6. Rear door windows submerge completely into the rear doors.

7. Also, the doors open wider than previous Legends. The rear doors open almost 90 degrees.

8. You probably know that if you push your fob open 2x and hold it ... all windows and sunroof open. This is great but how do you close them? Well, you insert the key in the door and and turn left (lock) 2x and hold and they all shut back up.

9. Either the right or the left outside mirror can tilt downward when in reverse by selecting the L or R on the control

10. There is a blue strip light found inside each inside door opener. So you can find the door handle in the dark.

11. The windshield spray jets are mounted on that strip of black plastic that overlays the wipers.

12. If you unlock the RL with your fob the door handle lights BRIGHTLY for you.

13. If you push the number button of the CD you are playing, the CD is "paused" until you push the button again.

14. The start is autoregulating, that is to say once you turn the start knob the RL decides how long to crank to start the car. So there is no need to crank for a couple seconds - once you turn to start and release, the car cranks itself the correct amount.
so what year those this feature apply to? i have an rl 2002 will the fob window thing work?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 AM
3rd Gear

Exclamation

so what year those these features apply to? i have a 2002 rl
Old 01-02-2007, 02:50 AM
Instructor

Maybe if you ask one more time in another 15 minutes or use a bigger font and different color, somebody will answer.

First, I'll say that this is posted under the 2nd Generation RL portion of the board, so I'm guessing it applies to the 2nd generation.

Now, being new to the RL and not knowing the history, I'm not sure what years the 1st generation was, but if you click into that area of the board, you'll see people talking about the 1999-2004 model year range a lot, so I'm going to guess you have a 1st gen.

Secondly, if you want to know if the "fob window thing" works, why not just take yourself outside and try it?

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Although the doors open to at least 90 degrees, I love how solid they are, and how they open up in increments. Having the door open to 45 degrees (and stay there) saves me from banging my door against my garage.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
This doesn't work for me... only work for 2006?

Originally Posted by Riddler2222
This is probably in the manual, but as a male, I can't find myself to spend the time reading from cover to cover.

On the audio controls on the steering column, holding down the track advance button will switch to the next CD/DVD-A in your tray.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
I learned this on my TL, but it works on the RL as well. If you hold down the eject button, it will eject all of your cd's! It's really convenient for when i'm switching cars in a hurry!
And if you hold down LOAD for several seconds, you can fill it up without pushing LOAD between discs.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Instructor

door unlocking is different from passenger vs driver side

I have my RL set up to only unlock my drivers door when I touch the drivers door handle. I have since discovered that if I open my car by touching the door handle on the passenger side, it unlocks all four doors. I think this is a great idea.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry if this has been posted before, but DYK that on the right of the manual tray there is another small space where you can put credit card sized objects, or your remote?
Old 06-12-2007, 05:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I apologize in advance if this is a repear but I'm too lazy to read through all previous posts again...

If the fan is on high, when you push the voice recognation button (or phone button), teh fan slows to reduce background noise (I assume so the car will have less trouble recognizing the command). Once the voice command is recognized, the fan returns to the previous setting.

LL
Old 06-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Pro

If you hit the wiper fluid spray button the wipers work 3 times , if you push the stalk up after they have wiped one time, they will then stop rather than go the 3 times.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I restuck this thread because of a recent thread asking where it was.

Enjoy!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Coolest find in my Rl is the person in the drivers seat....ME! LMAO

I think you guys pretty much covered everything.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:11 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Not sure if this is news for all, but after 2.5 years of ownership, I just figured this one out today.

Did you ever find yourself on a road trip wondering when the next McDonalds, or a particular gas station would appear?

Well when you have your destination set, push the control joystick/knob. You'll get the mini-menu. Select the option that displays the directions. Now scroll through each of the directions and select one of the sections of your destination (assuming you're on a highway). The Nav will display all of the exits you'll pass during that stretch. If you select any of those exits, it'll display all of the POIs at that exit. Gas stations, restaurants, hospitals, etc.

I guess it's the same as when you scroll across the map and click on an "i", but this is an easier way of looking for a particular restaurant or gas station.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
that indeed is a cool find gohawks. Have not noticed in my 3.5 yrs and probably never would have.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Instructor

not much of a tip, but:

The headrests go up and down .. but also pull apart so the pad is closer to your head. This is great for those quick naps on the highway!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Intermediate

New RL Oddity or Me?

Have an annoyance on my '07 RL can't figure out. When I eject a CD to replace it with another in its position, the audio system automatically goes to whatever radio station, XM or regular, it was on before I stopped the CD. So I have to push the CD button and then select the available slot position again before I can insert. This seems wrong. My old TL audio would hold that position available while you insert a new CD into the same position. Am I being clear??? Is there some way to reset this?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

not sure why you have to select a specific cd position. In 05, you hit load cd and it loads the cd into any available slot. I think it does switch to radio though when you unload a cd. Not sure if that can be avoided.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by b0n3
not much of a tip, but:

The headrests go up and down .. but also pull apart so the pad is closer to your head. This is great for those quick naps on the highway!
LOL this is funny i have had my car for over a year and never knew of this feature. I saw another RL parked and wondered how the hell did they manage to break their head rest. Then thought to myself..... hmmmmm you know i wonder......OMG!!!!! They pull apart like that??? Oh shit now i just open them up for the hell of it. Even if i'm not driving it cause it just looks so cool.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

Cool Find Continuation

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, when loading cd's, if you hold load button till you hear beep, you can dump all 6 disc continually and the same step when ejecting all 6 cd's at once.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 PM
2nd Gear

Question, please. When you turn on the car, do both the right and left headlights sweep through the full range of motion? I swear before my "accident" both sides swept upon turning on the car. Now, the right side sweeps and the left side "twitches". The dealership is telling me this is "normal". What is true "normal"?

John

Originally Posted by Shotgun
This evening I noticed that when you leave your headlights in the "auto mode" and upon opening the car door;

1. The headlights come on (this is nothing new) and,
2. The headlights sweep from side to side as if to test it's swivel capability or mechanism - now this is NEW to me and I might add "hyper-cool"

Anyone else notice this?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jstevens53
Question, please. When you turn on the car, do both the right and left headlights sweep through the full range of motion? I swear before my "accident" both sides swept upon turning on the car. Now, the right side sweeps and the left side "twitches". The dealership is telling me this is "normal". What is true "normal"?

John
only my right side sweeps. Not sure I even see a "twitch" on the driver side
Old 02-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Only the right headlight moves. Left one NEVER moves as that would blind the oncoming traffic.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 037
Only the right headlight moves. Left one NEVER moves as that would blind the oncoming traffic.

Hope that helps.
the left one moves when you are turning left and the car is moving. It does not move if you are stopped and turn the steering wheel left as that would blind oncoming traffic, but once you start moving it swivels left.
However, left one does not swivel during start-up as the right one does.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

nav does street names

I saw this is another thread, but i'd thought i'd throw it in here.

at first I thought it was weird that our voice nav doesnt say street names -- but it actually does..

you have to turn the guidance setting to "max" and then it works.. pretty cool stuff..
Old 03-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by johnhayd
I have my RL set up to only unlock my drivers door when I touch the drivers door handle. I have since discovered that if I open my car by touching the door handle on the passenger side, it unlocks all four doors. I think this is a great idea.

This can be changed via the driver setting.... when your key fob is link to your car, turn key to position II, hold down the up and down button on the right side of the steering wheel simultaniously for 5 sec, you can change the door lock behavior, lighting(external/internal), display, seat, alert, beep, etc. via MID display

I have mine set to open all 4 doors on both the driver and passenger side door handle!!!

Last edited by psheu; 03-30-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Safety Car

as far as I know, you only need to hold the UP which has a star on it.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 PM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
this car has so much stuff i forget to use it! lol
Old 03-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
as far as I know, you only need to hold the UP which has a star on it.
hmmm.... is that a new feature for 09? that's what the 06 manual said to do to access the driver preference setup
Old 03-31-2009, 04:57 AM
Safety Car

yea...I guess so then.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:49 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by sdacuraguy
Have an annoyance on my '07 RL can't figure out. When I eject a CD to replace it with another in its position, the audio system automatically goes to whatever radio station, XM or regular, it was on before I stopped the CD. So I have to push the CD button and then select the available slot position again before I can insert. This seems wrong. My old TL audio would hold that position available while you insert a new CD into the same position. Am I being clear??? Is there some way to reset this?
I also thought the same thing when I was trying to replace a CD. The truth is, while you're listening to the given radio station you can still insert the disc. This way you won't have to deal with the awkward silence while waiting for your next CD. It just seems like you can't insert a disc but that's not the case.

I definitely like this feature.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Safety Car

Dropped CMBS does not seem to be giving any problems on the road.

50116 H&R springs are a go.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Cruisin'

Just noticed today that the steering wheel Channel buttons will cycle to the next XM channel when you hit and hold the button, instead of just going to the next preset.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

Temp mute navigation voice while driving

First off - I love my RL and I keep learning more and more. I hope this tip is helpful. For me, I drive and talk via the handsfree A LOT! Sometimes my NAV gets pretty chatty.
A few weeks ago I was driving from PA to NC and I hit the screen display button to toggle to off (bright, night, off). A while into my drive I noticed I hadn't heard from my Nav. Out of curiosity I hit the screen display toggle and saw that I was still on course and up to date. As I came up on the next manuver my Nav announced it as usual. Then a light came on! My Nav continues to track but does not talk when the screen is off!
Now I use the feature all the time. My phone rings, I verify my next few manuvers then black out the the screen and talk in complete silence. Now what kind of car manufacture thinks of that kind of feature?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lv2wap
First off - I love my RL and I keep learning more and more. I hope this tip is helpful. For me, I drive and talk via the handsfree A LOT! Sometimes my NAV gets pretty chatty.
A few weeks ago I was driving from PA to NC and I hit the screen display button to toggle to off (bright, night, off). A while into my drive I noticed I hadn't heard from my Nav. Out of curiosity I hit the screen display toggle and saw that I was still on course and up to date. As I came up on the next manuver my Nav announced it as usual. Then a light came on! My Nav continues to track but does not talk when the screen is off!
Now I use the feature all the time. My phone rings, I verify my next few manuvers then black out the the screen and talk in complete silence. Now what kind of car manufacture thinks of that kind of feature?
That is a cool find. I've always had to explain "who's with me" when the Nav is talking while I'm on the phone.

Quick Reply: Cool "finds" and features of the RL (Did you know.... )