Chrome molding on front of car question

Old 07-19-2018, 07:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I Have purchased the replacement bottom molding and am trying to figure out how to use the 3m PPF material to protect it. As you may know the 3m Paint Defender Spray is NLA.

The problem, after reviewing the videos and talking to a CS rep about installing the PPF material, is how to hold the molding in place to install the film. This is a problem because you have to tack the film well in one spot, and then stretch the other edge to a point where it will then be tacked. With tiny screws holding it in place in the grill, it may be tough to get the molding steady enough to do the stretching bit. If I screw the molding down tight, it will be very tough to get the film over its edges for stretching and a neat job.

I hope someone has tried this project and would like to hear results, suggestions, whatever!

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:21 PM
2007 LSM KB1 Tech w/CMBS

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Well, my PPF guy did all 4 of my bumper protectors before I put them on the car with no problem. Same for the upper & and lower chrome pieces for the grille so maybe you need to find a PPF installer that has a bit more experience, my guy has been installing window tint and PPF (either 3M or Xpel) for 15-20 years. Good luck---
The following users liked this post:
vayankee (07-27-2018)