Check Charging System

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check Charging System

So heres the story. 06 RL Tech 120k with original starter and alternator, battery is about 1.5 years old.
This problem seems to only happen when the temp outside is over 100 degrees or once when I returned from a 250mi trip.
1st time it happened, its was a hot sunny day, jumped in car, turned the ignition and nada. All the lights were on, key turned all the way, but no click or engaging. Let the car sit a few hours, car started with no problem. I figured I needed a new starter so I brought it to my mechanic and he couldnt find anything wrong with. 2nd time it happened was a very hot day 105-110 degrees. Same thing, running some errands, went to start car and nada. Brought it back to the mechanic and he changed the starter, I figured it needed it. The very next day it happened again, and the check charging system light appeared. Brought it to Acura and they checked the charging system and said everything was A ok. The service guy said unfortunately we need the car to not start in order for us to fix it. BS
Anyway, does anybody have any ideas on how to approach this or what the problem might be? I dont want to just start blindly replacing sensors.
Appreciate everyones feedback!!
Old 09-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
check all your cables for corrosion. It could very well still be the battery.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Cruisin'

Checked my battery connections and found the positive to be a little loose. Fingers crossed. Thanks so much Thoiboi
Old 09-13-2017, 03:22 PM
2006 RL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Having the same issue

I just changed my battery cuz it would not hold a charge, and for about a week the car would start fine, although my windows stopped functioning properly (no auto up/down or control of other windows from drivers side). Today, I just tried to start it after I parked it yesterday and it just won't start.
it is not even engaging the starter. if I leave the key in position II, then all the dash lights blink and i hear a clicking sound, in position I it seems that there is enough juice to the car. I removed the positive batter connection and reconnected it and no change. I checked the wires that I can see, and there does not seem to be anything corroded.

I cannot even get in into neutral right now to get it out of the garage. I guess I'll have to pop the tab next to the gear to get it into neutral.

what could this be?

Thx.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
That's the battery not having enough power to start the car. What kind of battery did you put in it? These cars are sensitive to the battery
Old 09-14-2017, 07:12 AM
2006 RL

It’s a 720 I am told. What do I need in there?

thanks.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by miserable
It’s a 720 I am told. What do I need in there?

thanks.
Intersting, that's a good battery. I'd try charging the battery. If it doesn't start then, it might have a bad cell. Does the car sit a lot? Do you do short drives only? If it's that, you might want to consider a trickle charger as that may be why it's dying on you.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

UPDATE Happened again, this time I put the car in neutral and its started right up! Gonna change the neutral safety switch.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 05:35 PM
2006 RL

Originally Posted by projektvertx
Intersting, that's a good battery. I'd try charging the battery. If it doesn't start then, it might have a bad cell. Does the car sit a lot? Do you do short drives only? If it's that, you might want to consider a trickle charger as that may be why it's dying on you.
so, I jumped it and took it to the shop that is literally like a 2 mike drive. They never found anything and it never did it again. Blamed me for the lights or something, but they are always on auto. Did notice the seat warmers on, so there may be an electrical issue that uses up the battery? Anywho, for now it’s not happening anymore.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (09-17-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi, I'm intrested in your post because i'm having a similar issue, however i'm getting the check starting system code.
Have had my car in to an Accura dealer 6 times for this issue in a north suburb of Chicago. The service manager has given up on my problem, his comment was
what do you want me to do just keep throwing parts at your car. I think the problem is my neutral safty switch, when the car won't start I place the car In gear and then back into
park and the car allways starts. How big of a project is it to replace the neutral safty switch. thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by gogogoldrl
Hi, I'm intrested in your post because i'm having a similar issue, however i'm getting the check starting system code.
Have had my car in to an Accura dealer 6 times for this issue in a north suburb of Chicago. The service manager has given up on my problem, his comment was
what do you want me to do just keep throwing parts at your car. I think the problem is my neutral safty switch, when the car won't start I place the car In gear and then back into
park and the car allways starts. How big of a project is it to replace the neutral safty switch. thanks in advance.
Pauly or Libertyville?

Sounds like it it could definitely be the neutral safety switch. Check to see if your brake lights are coming on when this happens. If they don't, it's the switch at the brake pedal. I understand that's a common Honda problem.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dealer in Morton Grove.
Thank you, I'll check on the brake lights next time it happens.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
4 to 6 weeks my yellow 'Check charging system' appeared and red battery icon. Car was making a strange wheeing sound. Drove to dealer and battery replaced.
Car worked fine until 2 days ago, very same error appeared again with wheeing sound drove to dealer and alternator replaced yesterday.
I am very disappointed with Acura quality for a 2011 RL with 70,000 miles.
Dealer said nothing unusual with the alternator and that it just went defective.