car jerks after replacing shift solenoids

Old 07-26-2017, 12:13 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
car jerks after replacing shift solenoids

original solenoids felt like they were getting worn out and lagging behind when shifting etc

i bought a pair or solenoids from a guy parting out his car . he said he replaced them about 500 miles before he crashed the car and they looked brand new. the car only had 64000 original miles also so in either case they were newer than mine

replaced both with new gaskets and orings

went to test drive and it jerks really hard when shifting

code says p0797 clutch pressure solenoid valve C stuck ON
i run diagnostics on that valve with autel DS708 and it says valve is working ok
i reset the code and it comes back on during test drive. so im like wtf is wrong with this car
there havent been one part that i sucessfully fixed so far. it always has some kind of issue
its fn cursed or something
Old 07-26-2017, 06:16 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
lol instead of justnspace, my car friends call me justonjacks!
my car is always on jacks cuz i cant fuckin repair the thing correctly. sorry for your troubles, but just chiming in to say, I understand your troubles.

one thing to note; you'll become a master of the RL after it's all said and done.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts

You have bad luck with this frankencar.. maybe get rid of it and start again new.

Have you tried putting the existing solenoid back to see if the problem exists? Maybe the wiring to the solenoid is the culprit?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Racer

not yet it was dark already took forever to swap it out because of all the crap blocking the access to it
I was looking online and maybe the filter got clogged. might be something inside the solenoid that was stuck

because when I run diagnostics and function test with a scanner it comes back as good solenoid
but when I drive it throws a code
Old 07-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Racer

its just annoying as fk all these little issues constantly breaking
replaced the wheel bearing with a good one. now its bad again
horn suddenly stopped working
stereo either works or doesn't or works half way
keys are pairing all funky causing memory loss etc just one big pile of bs all the itme

on a sidenote it made to a 400 mile round trip like a champ
pulled up the stevens pass like a baws no struggle at all
just crappy gas mileage 23mpg overall
could be because wheel bearing
Old 07-26-2017, 10:50 PM
Racer

weird
replaced the top solenoid and it went away
the solenoid c is the dual solenoid unit that was throwing the code

but when i replaced the top single solenoid it started shifting right
Old 07-29-2017, 01:02 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzysig
its just annoying as fk all these little issues constantly breaking
replaced the wheel bearing with a good one. now its bad again
horn suddenly stopped working
stereo either works or doesn't or works half way
keys are pairing all funky causing memory loss etc just one big pile of bs all the itme

on a sidenote it made to a 400 mile round trip like a champ
pulled up the stevens pass like a baws no struggle at all
just crappy gas mileage 23mpg overall
could be because wheel bearing
About the wheel bearing. They should go the distance. It won't affect your gas mileage as that is a separate system. It will make noise when rotating and you can hear that with a stethescope on the lift as the wheel is rotating. Are you sure it isn't the drive shaft that is bad?
Just a note, when you buy a used car you most likely can get someone else's delayed maintenance issues. Then all you do is play catch up until they are all resolved. As my signature shows, we have a 1991 Alfa Spider "automatic" that was a barn find. It looked good and needed what appeared to be a few issues to resolve. The PO didn't do anything to keep up the maintenance and it wound up being parked. The more I dug into the car the more cr*p I had to fix. It has been a year and a half and I am ready to put the car on the road.
Your RL is a great car and doesn't need a lot of maintenance once you catch up. I love our RL with 212,000 miles.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:12 PM
Racer

driveshaft is bad too I know about that one. and already have a low mileage replacement that I haven't installed yet

the wheel bearing is I belive faulty because it started after I replaced the knuckle with a used one fro blown out ball joint but threw away my old wheel bearing
Old 08-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzysig
driveshaft is bad too I know about that one. and already have a low mileage replacement that I haven't installed yet

the wheel bearing is I belive faulty because it started after I replaced the knuckle with a used one fro blown out ball joint but threw away my old wheel bearing
So, how is the car shifting now? Today something weird happened with my car also. Driving normally and all of sudden i get multiple lights: Check emission system, Check AFS system, Check engine light and blinking, "D" indicator blinking and when i hooked up my code reader i get P0848 code (3rd pressure switch stuck in high). So far i have cleared codes and will see if they come back. Do you have the part # for pressure switches you replaced, in case i need to do that? Car only has 106k miles. I bought it about 2 months ago and changed all the fluids (did 2 drains for atf).
Old 08-15-2017, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Deepa, check your battery.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acura05rl
Deepa, check your battery.
Yeah, that's what i did. When i opened the hood and behold: the postive terminal was barely touching the battery, it just came off when i touched it. The reason for it was the wrong sized battery installed by previous owner, and the lights lit up like a Christmas terr when i tooks a sharp turn. The battery has 2 protrusions on top in between terminals which prevent + terminal to screw in and on top of everything there is no battery hold down. Do you know any alternative for our 24 BCI group battery? I bought size 34 from costco and will see tomorrow how it fits with the battery hold down. Both 34 and 24 have same dimensions other than size 34 is about 1" shorter.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I think there's a thread somewhere in here about battery size. I don't want to give you the wrong answer. Glad you found the issue though.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Racer

Well today it happened again (i changed the battery so that is not the reason) and car wouldn't shift past 4th gear. So is it solenoids? Does anyone knows where are they located on transmission?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Racer

could be anything. please dont hijack the thread
Old 08-21-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^he's not hijacking. seems to have similar problems to you and is talking outloud ( brainstorming) on what it could be, since there was no real conclusion.

Search this Thread