Car & Driver RL Review

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16696
Old 11-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good find Domn..

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=8532

Acura RL
A very trick drive system puts a middle roller among the high rollers.
October 2004
Honda was the first Japanese automaker to challenge the luxury-car establishment—epitomized at the time by BMW and Mercedes—with its Acura line in 1986. It drove a wedge into this profitable segment with its Legend and, over the years, secured its position with a succession of vehicles that sold well and were favorably reviewed; in recent times Acuras have been regular residents on our 10BEST list.

Despite its success, Acura never quite attained the prestige of the traditional luxury brands—J.D. Power usually ranked its cars in a near-luxury category—nor did it produce any iconic models, with the exception of its world-class sports car, the NSX.

The fault did not lie in what Acura submitted—its cars were always well built and fitted with the requisite allotment of polished wood, soft leather, and other luxury accouterments—but in what it omitted. There was no Acura to match a Mercedes S-class, or a BMW 7-series, or a Lexus LS sedan. Forget a V-12 option—Acura didn't even offer a V-8. Nor was there a rear-drive model, save for the NSX. It's a perception thing, to be sure, but in the luxury-goods business, perception is everything—it's the difference between a Timex and a Rolex, each of which serves the same function equally well.

With the introduction of this RL sedan, however, the perception of Acura as being not ready for admission to the high-rollers club may get a rethink—well, for medium rollers, anyway, since it competes against the likes of BMW's 5-series and Mercedes' E-class. Still, this is the first Acura sedan that can belly up to the no-limits table with the major players.

The main reason the RL deserves such consideration is something Acura modestly calls Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive (SH-AWD). By itself, this system would give the RL parity with its rear- and four-wheel-drive competition. But when you add to that 300 horsepower and some elegant engineering, it makes the car somewhat more than equal.

SH-AWD eliminates some four-wheel-drive staples such as conventional center and rear differentials. Instead, it uses a pseudo rear diff with two electromagnetic clutches that control torque distribution on the orders of a computer that monitors front and rear g-forces, yaw, steering input, rpm, throttle position, gear ratio, and individual wheel speeds. As you cruise along, the system pumps 70 percent of the power to the front wheels. But as conditions change, it can reverse the balance to the rear wheels, pretty standard four-wheel-drive stuff. What's different about the SH-AWD is its ability to apportion torque side to side on the rear axle. In fact, the system can route as much as 100 percent of the rear axle's power to just one rear wheel if necessary. The torque-shifting function is tied into the vehicle's stability-control system and is designed to give the RL agile yet foolproof handling.

All this power mongering is never apparent to the driver, but its effect is obvious. This we discovered in the course of running dozens of laps in several RLs around a tight little circuit at Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia.

Driven quickly but short of its limits, the RL's steering is responsive. The car is well balanced and feels as solid and safe as an investment in Honda stock. Pushed harder into turns, it eases into understeer, which can be moderated by feathering the throttle or taking a slightly wider line. If you get back on the power either too hard or too early in exiting a turn, you will transition into a four-wheel drift, at which point the car can be easily throttle-steered into the next straight stretch. Although this isn't the quickest way around, it's kind of fun. But try as we did, we could never bull the RL into the dramatic opposite-lock, power-oversteer slide so beloved by photographers. The SH-AWD frowns on such shenanigans and simply will not allow them; with its electronics and mechanicals toiling mightily away, the RL is so tightly reined in that it seems incapable of unpleasant surprises.
In the straight stretches between turns, the RL was quick, sounded appropriately authoritative, felt as firm as a Bradley fighting vehicle, and revealed no untoward traits. With the aforementioned 300 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque, its 3.5-liter VTEC V-6 engine is never lacking. Its five-speed automatic transmission shifts imperceptibly and can be manually controlled by either a floor shift or paddles on the steering wheel.

After lots of track time, the RL's steering began to feel a bit light and its suspension too soft—there's certainly room for Acura to add a more stiffly sprung sport model down the line—but as the red mist receded and we headed back to the highway, the RL resumed being what it is, a comfortable luxury car.

As such, the RL is packed with standard items (there are no options) that include all the power-operated gadgets one expects but adds an interesting new item called AcuraLink, which uses the same satellite signal as the car's XM radio to graphically display on the navigation screen real-time traffic conditions in 20 U.S. metro areas.

The price for all this? "Significantly under $50,000," according to Tom Elliott, Honda's executive V-P of auto operations. Definitely luxury-car territory.

ACURA RL
Vehicle type: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan
Estimated base price: $48,000
Engine type: SOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
Displacement: 212 cu in, 3471cc
Power (SAE net): 300 bhp @ 6200 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 260 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm
Transmission: 5-speed automatic with manumatic shifting
Wheelbase: 110.2 in
Length/width/height: 193.6/72.7/57.1 in
Curb weight: 4000 lb
C/D-estimated performance:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.4 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 15.0 sec
Projected fuel economy (mfr's est):
EPA city driving: 18 mpg
EPA highway driving: 25 mpg

Old 11-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
They gave it a better initial review than the 2004 TL last year. They were drooling, even! Great find.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C/D love the interior which I don't! I found the buttons were confusing and I really hate the "i-drive like" turn knob.

The 05 RL I test drove didn't feel more powerful than my 04 TL. At that time I thought it was because my TL had broke in already and 05 RL demo car wasn't. Now C/D sort of confirm it on the 0-60 time. However, I must say that the SH-AWD makes RL faster because it can go up the RAMP faster than my stock 5at 04TL. My 04 TL 5at lean too much when cornering but 05 RL can accelerate out a cornering with ease!

Old 11-04-2004, 07:01 AM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Don't buy one then.

Mine is great and could not be happier with everything that this car offers.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:35 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
I have seen the car in person..Its beautiful.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrose
Don't buy one then.

dtrose, how about a review since you seem to be the only one so far on the site with an RL.

Some pics would be great as well.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:54 AM
04 remembrance

Don't buy one then.

Welcome aboard!

Anything negative about the RL yet?
Old 11-04-2004, 09:59 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Unconfirmed info on some trouble with the AWD systems, my other post has a link to some info, but not proven. just anecdotes.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I thought the RL was quite good when I drove one. As a brand new model, always expect to see some issues in the first model year.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by domn
dtrose, how about a review since you seem to be the only one so far on the site with an RL.

Some pics would be great as well.
I second that...I like reading reviews from an owner, rather than just hearsay.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Outnumbered at home

Funny thing on that article was the little snapshot of good and bad. They had expensive as one of the bads

Uhmm what car withing 10k has what it has?

Overall good review of it. I really want to see one in person.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 95gt
Funny thing on that article was the little snapshot of good and bad. They had expensive as one of the bads

Overall good review of it. I really want to see one in person.
Try your local dealer?

They let me take one out for a spin, so I don't see why they would stop you.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Drifting

wow, im drooling over the car as well...
Old 11-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't buy one then.

I'm curious that you haven't mentioned that your RL has been in the shop due to the AWD locking up. Not denying this is a great car... I will be taking delivery of mine within 2 weeks... but I'm curious as to why you didn't mention the problem. Is it fixed?
Old 11-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts

Audi gives you a virtually bare bone A6 for 40K. If you price out the new Audi A6 with similar equipment levels, it's almost the same price as the RL, give or take a few hundred bucks. Granted, there are certain things you can't get on the RL, such as the 6-speed transmission and side airbags for rear passengers.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phile
Audi gives you a virtually bare bone A6 for 40K. If you price out the new Audi A6 with similar equipment levels, it's almost the same price as the RL, give or take a few hundred bucks. Granted, there are certain things you can't get on the RL, such as the 6-speed transmission and side airbags for rear passengers.
Actually, I just configured one on the Audi website and it came out to $50k with all of the things that the RL has. Plus, the new A6 front end is .
Old 11-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Racer

Don't get me wrong! I like 05 RL. I just don't like certain aspect of 05 RL. I test drove it for a good hour (15 min on the road & 45 min in the lot playing with interior and navi etc). I would be the first one to admit it is impossible to find out everything about 05 RL within 1 hr.

I love the SH-AWD. This 4000 pound car handles much better than my 04 TL auto. However, it will cost me US$25,000 more in debt if I trade up my 04TL to 05RL. It is a great car and it probably offer too much than I needed. Like On-Star service and also the XM- realtime traffic Navi (which they don't offer in my area). I love the handling of the 05RL very much but US$25,000 more in debt weights in more.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I really like the brake calipers
Old 11-05-2004, 01:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Wow, C/D liked a high end Acura (of course it was the AWD that wont them over). Elusion, I agree about the interior, some parts a little too cluttered for my taste, but the package as a whole is very appealing to me.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Outnumbered at home

actually wasn't an a6 in the same C&D? I thought its price ended up being 59k

Think C&D was just trying to find something wrong with the car since it is low priced, good looking, and finally handles as good as their coveted rear drive cars.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Pinky all stinky

actually wasn't an a6 in the same C&D? I thought its price ended up being 59k

Don't know, I don't have the C&D mag. The A6 probably costs that much with the V8? Like I said, an A6 for 40K looks like a better deal than an RL at close to 50K, but the A6 is bare bones (the wood paneling is optional for the V6 model....you'd think for 40 large, it would be standard), but price-wise, the optioned out A6 and RL were VERY similar in price with similar levels of equipment, with the A6 coming out just a bit more expensive, but there were some differences, some standard equipment and some optional equipment.

A6 - 6 speed transmission, rear foglights, height adjustable center console, optional side airbags for rear passengers (RL has them only for the front, not even optional to get for rear passengers), power folding side mirrors.

RL - SH-AWD, real time traffic updates.

Of particular note, I thought the A6 would have the bigger interior given its long wheelbase, but that's not the case. The RL had a larger interior, RL 99.1 cubic feet vs. A6 97.9 cubic feet, but trunk space gives the A6 the upperhand...it offers more than 2 extra cubic feet than the RL's.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:38 AM
Team Owner

Don't know, I don't have the C&D mag. The A6 probably costs that much with the V8? Like I said, an A6 for 40K looks like a better deal than an RL at close to 50K, but the A6 is bare bones (the wood paneling is optional for the V6 model....you'd think for 40 large, it would be standard), but price-wise, the optioned out A6 and RL were VERY similar in price with similar levels of equipment, with the A6 coming out just a bit more expensive, but there were some differences, some standard equipment and some optional equipment.

A6 - 6 speed transmission, rear foglights, height adjustable center console, optional side airbags for rear passengers (RL has them only for the front, not even optional to get for rear passengers), power folding side mirrors.

RL - SH-AWD, real time traffic updates.

Of particular note, I thought the A6 would have the bigger interior given its long wheelbase, but that's not the case. The RL had a larger interior, RL 99.1 cubic feet vs. A6 97.9 cubic feet, but trunk space gives the A6 the upperhand...it offers more than 2 extra cubic feet than the RL's.
But other things the RL has standard, such as the Navigation system, leather seating, HID headlamps, and other things all come only as options. Adding those things in alone raises the price of the A6 significantly. Sure the few things you can't get on the RL add to the price, but why pay for the weaker 6-cylinder engine at that point?
Old 11-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Banned

Acura cars are great...but as in the magaizine said..."its all about perception"...hopefully Acura over comes that with the New TL and RL to get them into the high end market.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
But other things the RL has standard, such as the Navigation system, leather seating, HID headlamps, and other things all come only as options. Adding those things in alone raises the price of the A6 significantly. Sure the few things you can't get on the RL add to the price, but why pay for the weaker 6-cylinder engine at that point?

I don't think you understand me...I know those things on the A6 are optional...but if you do option it out to the levels of the RL, they're very close in price...

And despite the weaker engine, the A6 weighs less, I point I already made.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:25 PM
2005 Carbon Grey RL

HI all, I just traded in my 02TLS last Wed for an 05 RL..Carbon Gray with taupe interior. My wife is getting an 05 MDX also and I thought we were going to find hers and have to wait for the rl as they are relatively scarce in LA, let alone the right combo. But as the reps told us the ETA of the car is 10 days, but it could be sooner, the trailer shows up with the new RLs..and 2 were exactly my choice. It was eerie to say the least! The car had 6 miles on it was "shrink-wrapped" in plastic for protection..just like a new born baby. The only thing about the car I didn't care for was the wheels has a plastic (y) look to it, so I am getting those chromed for $495.
I have really enjoyed driving this car and continue to get compliments on this car. The only other downside is having to relearn using the Navi, etc The first 2 days was hard not to resort to old instinctive habits in operating things..but I can see how much better the new systems are. the new navi is fast, great visibility & graphics and the traffic info is wonderful. The audio systems are neat..nice to have a variety from dvda, xm, mp3, etc.
I'll try to post additional info as the miles pile on...
Old 11-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by peter97
I'll try to post additional info as the miles pile on...
Congrats! If possible, take pictures...
Old 11-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Excellent. Looking forward to it!

I'll be taking a test drive tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Advanced

dont follow a MB or a BMW....you might hit them!

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Excellent. Looking forward to it!

I'll be taking a test drive tomorrow.

The RL did the worst in the brake test (70mph-0) !!! and didnt do well in the G's either ???

So if your following a current model German car, and they hit the brakes full-on, dont expect the RL to stop without kissing the tail end of the MB or BMW in front of you...wierd eh?

At least you'll have 5.1 sound going so you wont hear much else......

sorry for bursting the bubble and all.....but honestly, whats up with the brakes on the new RL????

...............over to you Mr Moderator
Old 11-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I need to go see one

But What really has my eye right now is Land Rover: LR3 !

Absolutely Beautiful....I'm in a Truck / SUV Mood.....

Originally Posted by 1killercls
I have seen the car in person..Its beautiful.