Can a cracked intake air flow boot trigger VSA & CMBS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 03:34 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Can a cracked intake air flow boot trigger VSA & CMBS?

Well, it seems this Emissions light can be due to a cracked air flow boot. Today after replacing the headlight bulb, and clearing codes, i suddenly had a chrisrmas tree. The Triangle was on. Then, Emissions on startup, few secs later SHAWD, and then CMBS! How on earth?

The triangle, VSA & CMBS are new, as i drove away. I go back, and the mechanic opens the hood and spots a cracked intake boot. He says it surely triggers emissions, which he thinks triggers the SHAWD. And also thinks it can trigger VSA. The CMBS is a total mystery.

What on earth can crack that intake boot? my engine is quite clean.

He cleaned the throttle body, and ordered the boot. He taped it up in the meantime.

Lights are still on.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
does it throw a CEL if yes plugin the vanilla scan tools and see what cause the code. If no code stored you might need to get access to a in depth scan tools similar to HDS, the RL has complex systems of computers that talk to each other.

I am willing to bet anything that has to do with a sensor reading vehicle speed or current gear position because all of those need the same info input.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by truonghthe
does it throw a CEL if yes plugin the vanilla scan tools and see what cause the code. If no code stored you might need to get access to a in depth scan tools similar to HDS, the RL has complex systems of computers that talk to each other.

I am willing to bet anything that has to do with a sensor reading vehicle speed or current gear position because all of those need the same info input.
When I turn the ignition to II, the CEL is already lit before starting the car, along with the Check Emissions light. What became new today, after a small headlight bulb install, and hooking up the scanner to clear codes, the triangle came up, and the VSA goes on once I drive for 2-3 mins followed by CMBS. Those were not there before. Only the CEL + check emissions systemn, and occasional SHAWD which is following the 'check emissions' light.
Now the triangle is there with the check engine light with ignition turned On before startup. After, the lights start one after another. Sometimes, SHAWD also joins them.

The mechanic did pull a code, and initially said it seems like an oxygen sensor. But after I was leaving with the car, and saw there was a triangle now, and VSA on + cmbs shortly after, i went back in. He opens the hood, then puts his fingers on the intake air flow boot, and pulls, and a slit clean crack is across it's front, you can fit a hand in there.

They taped it, but the lights are still there.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:19 AM

The scan result yesterday btw was AF sensor error.

Does disconnecting the battery for a bit help clearing codes to see if they come back?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

just replace the AF sensor, once you got them replace you might see some MPG increase :P
Old 01-04-2019, 12:28 PM

If there was a big crack in the AF boot, does it still make sense to change the sensor?
Old 01-04-2019, 06:33 PM

New AF boot in place, and air filter. But, the Christmas lights are a plenty. CEL, emissions, shawd, triangle, VSA, CMBS. Mechanic going nuts. I told him, let's try disconnecting the battery, and reconnect. he said no don't wanna lose programming.

Went back home, decided to do it myself. And, lo and behold, I freaking needed a kick on my head/ass. Didn't even remember my own advice I gave others as in this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-light-948449/

Freaking negative cable is loose! The metal ring is tightened all the way, can't screw more, yet, it became loose. How?

So I cut a metal washer in half and jammed it in there. Start up, All gone,

except that damned triangle VSA and cmbs.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RL09
If there was a big crack in the AF boot, does it still make sense to change the sensor?

I highly doubt the intake pipe cause the light to be lit. I has seen several 3G TL with completely torn boot and yet no light anywhere, I already got a set of AF upstream sensor for back up. My RL is now getting reasonable MPG for city and highway driving anyway.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:03 PM

It seems to have been the loose battery ground cable.

But now, triangle is on when i turn on the car, and if i drive, 2-3 mins later VSA & CMBS come on.

I just tried this: https://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-g...s/31353?page=1

Since my ABS light didn't go on, I did the second part, i shorted 4 & 9 on the scanner connector, and tried the procedure. Nothing changing. I press the VSA off button, but, nada. Triangle still there.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:53 PM

Nailed the motherfucker!

The guy in the TSX forum in the link above, the one who came in later and added that one does not have to find a chassis ground, the 4 slot is ground, so the vsa reset can be done like that, is an ass.

To reset ABS you short 4 & 9. To reset that damned triangle, which is neutral position memorization, you must ground 9 to the chassis. That bolt up behind above the brake is great. All lights gone!

Now, having said all that, there remains one mystery, for those grinning and reading: while at mechanic, we decided to pull the plug on the newly installed 20bucks ebay AFS sensor, disconnecting it's plug, thinking maybe it is not carrying the current properly. And, we kept it off when i left and AFS was blinking all the way home.

When i tightened the battery ground cable once home, AFS was no longer there blinking on startup. I assumed it's coz it was never connected so not recognized by the computer or something and it remained off.
But now when i test drove celebrating VSA light gone, my freaking headlights are swiveling!

How the fuck are the headlights swiveling. AFS comes on like usual then disappears. The only difference, my headlights seem like weaker than before.

How on earth are the headlights swiveling if the freaking sensor power cord is disconnected???

Oh well, im gonna go have him reconnect whatever it is he disconnected behind that tire, and hopefully all is well.

So, the lesson to all those who didn't read the other threads: when you go to your indy, and he go to do you the nice favor "clearing all codes", the VSA memorization also vanishes, and you need to re-do it. The wire way is too easy. I'll post it here in video: