A/C compressor is making noise. Replace it or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
A/C compressor is making noise. Replace it or rebuild?

I recently had to replace the tensioner assembly. My A/C compressor was getting noisy before I replaced the tensioner. With the new tensioner installed I can hear the compressor. When the A/C is on it is louder and with it off it is almost silent. It is still blowing cold but I know it is going to fail soon.

Is it possible to rebuild it? If not what brand compressor is recommended? The factory option is almost $800. I am hoping there is a much cheaper aftermarket option that isn't junk.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
I've actually seen rebuilt compressors, and while I have no experience with them, I can't imagine them being that bad considering power steering pumps are rebuilt all the time with a high rate of success
Old 05-22-2017, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Put a pag oil 46 on ur ac compressor.

Originally Posted by beekermartin
I recently had to replace the tensioner assembly. My A/C compressor was getting noisy before I replaced the tensioner. With the new tensioner installed I can hear the compressor. When the A/C is on it is louder and with it off it is almost silent. It is still blowing cold but I know it is going to fail soon.

Is it possible to rebuild it? If not what brand compressor is recommended? The factory option is almost $800. I am hoping there is a much cheaper aftermarket option that isn't junk.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:05 AM
Pro

I haven't driving my car in a few days but I did ask the tech that replaced the tensioner and belt last week to listen for the noise. After he replaced the tenisioner I heard a squealing sound a few times after starting. Well he couldn't narrow it down in the parking lot with the engine cover on. This was on Tuesday. He told me it should be ok to drive since it was intermittent. I took a dealer car home Tuesday night because I was going to an auction the next day. Well I didn't drive my car again until tonight. When I first started it I heard a slight whinny noise but it went away quickly. I drove over 30 miles home and it seemed ok. I got home, changed my clothes and headed out to watch the Celtics game. After the Celtics got crushed I got in the car and attempted to back up. I heard a very loud whining noise and then the battery light popped on and I had no power steering. I knew what had happened. What caused it I still don't know for sure but something locked up, a/c compressor or power steering pump. Of course it was pouring out but I was able to cut off the serpentine belt and luckily I made it home on battery power.

Tomorrow I will try to diagnose what locked up. It could have been the A/C compressor but I am leaning towards the power steering pump. I will post more info when I have it.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I'm going to need a new a/c compressor. I was also wondering which brand to go with.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
It happened to me, those noise coming from AC compressor is a sign that there less oil or none at all inside the compressor. It seems like your AC compressor seized on u. Thats why i suggested on my previous reply to put a pag oil. It will cost u $1000 at least for the OEM parts.

Originally Posted by beekermartin
I haven't driving my car in a few days but I did ask the tech that replaced the tensioner and belt last week to listen for the noise. After he replaced the tenisioner I heard a squealing sound a few times after starting. Well he couldn't narrow it down in the parking lot with the engine cover on. This was on Tuesday. He told me it should be ok to drive since it was intermittent. I took a dealer car home Tuesday night because I was going to an auction the next day. Well I didn't drive my car again until tonight. When I first started it I heard a slight whinny noise but it went away quickly. I drove over 30 miles home and it seemed ok. I got home, changed my clothes and headed out to watch the Celtics game. After the Celtics got crushed I got in the car and attempted to back up. I heard a very loud whining noise and then the battery light popped on and I had no power steering. I knew what had happened. What caused it I still don't know for sure but something locked up, a/c compressor or power steering pump. Of course it was pouring out but I was able to cut off the serpentine belt and luckily I made it home on battery power.

Tomorrow I will try to diagnose what locked up. It could have been the A/C compressor but I am leaning towards the power steering pump. I will post more info when I have it.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:33 PM
Pro

It wasn't the compressor that locked up. The crank pulley came apart! The outer ring that the belt rides on literally flew off.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Same thing happen to me last year, so random.. lol
Old 05-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Pro

At least the crank pulley is much cheaper than the a/c compressor.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Those crank pulleys come apart a lot actually - I've seen it 3 or 4 times and other techs I know have all seen it a lot too. It's pretty crazy stuff!

As far as your A/C Compressor (if you do end up needing one) don't bother rebuilding it - just buy one from RockAuto.com, they sell the OEM part (Denso) for $200 and it includes a new clutch and coil.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Sorry, I just realized this is not a TL thread, so a quick correction to my previous post: the OEM compressor on RockAuto.com is $300 for the RL.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:03 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by UA7X
Sorry, I just realized this is not a TL thread, so a quick correction to my previous post: the OEM compressor on RockAuto.com is $300 for the RL.
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder why RockAuto.com has the Denso for so much less than Honda/Acura?
Old 06-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Pro

New crank pulley has been installed and my a/c compressor is quiet. The crank pulley was a much cheaper repair luckily. If my a/c compressor does start acting up I'll grab the Denso from rockauto.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (06-02-2017)
Old 04-06-2018, 04:27 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
I have felt today an added vibration when starting the car. The engine vibrates, and i hear a higher than normal roar from the engine while in the car. I turned off my AC, it goes away, and comes back when AC is on. AC works fine.

They are very similar symptoms like the OP. There's also an intermittent screaming noise that rarely came on lately, and it sounded like from the fan area.

Am I safe to say crankshaft pulley as well?
Old 04-06-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
I know one fan engages when the A/C comes on, it's possible that that fan is one causing the issue for you.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
The shaking in engine bay though... Doesn't that go towards crank pulley or harmonic balancer? or are those the same thing?