Buying a 2006 RL

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:08 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Buying a 2006 RL

Hi everyone, I've been wanting a 2nd gen RL for the better part of a year now and I ended up sourcing one through my part-time job at Carmax. Car is an '06 with 67k miles, has been a Florida car all of its life and looks to be very clean with 3 previous owners. I decided to go ahead and pay to have it shipped up so I can buy it. I'm wondering though, is there anything in particular I should look out for that would be a red flag before I buy it? If everything checks out, is there anything you guys recommend I do to the car besides a basic tune-up? Timing belt possibly due to age? I know Carmax inspects the cars they sell, but knowing that they're a major retailer with tons of cars coming in and going out everyday, that really doesn't hold a lot of weight with me.

I realize these cars are solid, but I'm just making sure I don't miss anything obvious. I've never bought a car through a dealership and I've only ever owned older GM's lol. So I feel slightly uneasy since this car is coming from a big box car retailer and this is my first car with any kind of modern day technology.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'd rather lose the hundreds I spent on having it shipped than thousands on buying a headache.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:48 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Welcome! There are a fair amount of common quirks the RL has like door handle failure, prop shaft wine, etc... General used car buying skills go a long way, I'd still have the car inspected privately. Odds are the Carmax mechanics don't really know what they are looking at. I'd try and source any maintenance records based off the carfax, maybe hit up the dealers it was serviced at and get the full records.

Would you happen to have a link of the car?
Old 06-27-2017, 06:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Carmax must have changed some of their policies they only kept 10 years or newer vehicles on their lots. I have looked at a number of cars at carmax over the years and Im with projekt above in that they only look at basic stuff. If they are selling this on their retail lot then you should also qualify for a warranty. Now I know their warranty in the past has been pretty crappy in coverage but maybe that has changed. Check it out for coverage if your concerned as an option, might be pretty expensive though. Coming from old GM's it will be a shock to you but if you wrench you should be able to do most of the work with minimal cash outlay.

Other than TB and water pump and tensioner I would baseline car with all new fluids, filters to include diff and transmission, brake, coolant and new drivebelt etc. I also replaced all pulleys but that was me. Also, these cars have few cosmetic issues with bubbling on top of glovebox, also the center console armrest and door armrest stretch out and tear. I think there was a thread on here for other issues. My car came out of florida and had the glovebox issue the PO got dealer to replace it my console and door handles are fine.

The car will likely go through another inspection at your local carmax quality review plus any safety inspection if your state has that so brakes and such should be fine. I would ask to see all docs on car and since your an employee they should comply. Also since your an employee have them pop it on a lift and walk underneath it.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Technology Package 06 RL? - BEWARE of the PAX

Understand an 06 RL could have the Tech Pkg - is so you get the HORRIBLE PAX SYSTEM. Investigate! My 07 RL has it and didn't know it when I purchased. An additional $1000.00 is necessary to get rid of it when purchasing new tires you must buy new wheels. Good luck. Great car, de paxed and love it.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by projektvertx
Welcome! There are a fair amount of common quirks the RL has like door handle failure, prop shaft wine, etc... General used car buying skills go a long way, I'd still have the car inspected privately. Odds are the Carmax mechanics don't really know what they are looking at. I'd try and source any maintenance records based off the carfax, maybe hit up the dealers it was serviced at and get the full records.

Would you happen to have a link of the car?
Yeah, I'm prepared for those issues if they come up. But, I do think I remember reading that Acura dealt with most of that for the '06+ cars though. I agree about the carmax mechanics, would you recommend an independent Honda/Acura spot or a dealer? They took it off of the website the day I paid for the transfer lol.

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
Carmax must have changed some of their policies they only kept 10 years or newer vehicles on their lots. I have looked at a number of cars at carmax over the years and Im with projekt above in that they only look at basic stuff. If they are selling this on their retail lot then you should also qualify for a warranty. Now I know their warranty in the past has been pretty crappy in coverage but maybe that has changed. Check it out for coverage if your concerned as an option, might be pretty expensive though. Coming from old GM's it will be a shock to you but if you wrench you should be able to do most of the work with minimal cash outlay.

Other than TB and water pump and tensioner I would baseline car with all new fluids, filters to include diff and transmission, brake, coolant and new drivebelt etc. I also replaced all pulleys but that was me. Also, these cars have few cosmetic issues with bubbling on top of glovebox, also the center console armrest and door armrest stretch out and tear. I think there was a thread on here for other issues. My car came out of florida and had the glovebox issue the PO got dealer to replace it my console and door handles are fine.

The car will likely go through another inspection at your local carmax quality review plus any safety inspection if your state has that so brakes and such should be fine. I would ask to see all docs on car and since your an employee they should comply. Also since your an employee have them pop it on a lift and walk underneath it.
Yeah it's off of their retail lot and I thought the same until I found this car, but not feeling the Carmax warranty. I'd rather just deal with any issues that may come up on my own so I can take it where I want and know its being done at my discretion, not knocking Carmax but it's just my preference. Coming out of a 17 year old GM product, none of the common issues I have read so far pertaining to these cars scare me anyways lol. I plan to pull the Carfax again when I go back to work, I didn't really get a good description of it the first time the salesperson went over it with me.

Originally Posted by Buster Hyman
Understand an 06 RL could have the Tech Pkg - is so you get the HORRIBLE PAX SYSTEM. Investigate! My 07 RL has it and didn't know it when I purchased. An additional $1000.00 is necessary to get rid of it when purchasing new tires you must buy new wheels. Good luck. Great car, de paxed and love it.
I think it does have the tech package, I feel like I remember seeing in the pictures that it had a back up camera also, was that ever an option? I don't think it was and can't find anything through my searches saying that it is or not, I also remember seeing two sensors on the rear bumper which I haven't ever seen on another RL. I'll look out for the PAX system, I have read about that.

Thank you so much for the input guys, much appreciated
Old 06-27-2017, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
It's a bullet proof car as far as engine and trans go, mostly electrical stuff like AC, mirrors, AFS, door handles and a few interior issues like worn arm rests and center console, bulbs out in hvac panel or seat heater switches. There can be bigger ticket items like prop shaft bearing and torque converter. Listen for whine noises around 35-42 mph and in the 69-70 mph range. A 2006 should have had the timing belt changed by now. At 67k, you should be looking at brakes and tires if original, shocks and spark plugs should have at least another 30k milies. If you can get the car for around $7-8k, it's a good deal.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:02 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 RL with Tech Pkg

Chris - you're missing the point. If the 06 RL has the Tech Pkg it's got the PAX system. You have real strength to negotiate the price down. The PAX system didn't and does not work. To replace 4 PAX tires, it will cost you in excess of $2000.00. Consider that cost to get the price way down.....
The following users liked this post:
rlx015 (06-30-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
What is it going to cost you? An 06 with that low of mileage would cost easily 10k+ here in the PNW.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:08 PM

^^Seriously?? There is one in Detroit I should have scooped up when I had the chance... I could have made a killing...
Old 06-29-2017, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlerman
It's a bullet proof car as far as engine and trans go, mostly electrical stuff like AC, mirrors, AFS, door handles and a few interior issues like worn arm rests and center console, bulbs out in hvac panel or seat heater switches. There can be bigger ticket items like prop shaft bearing and torque converter. Listen for whine noises around 35-42 mph and in the 69-70 mph range. A 2006 should have had the timing belt changed by now. At 67k, you should be looking at brakes and tires if original, shocks and spark plugs should have at least another 30k milies. If you can get the car for around $7-8k, it's a good deal.
Thanks for the input.

This is what I've basically gathered from what I've read. No major issues that will leave the car stranded. Hmmm, $7k-$8k? I see KB1's all over the internet with much more miles than the car I'm getting that are going for more than that.

Originally Posted by Buster Hyman
Chris - you're missing the point. If the 06 RL has the Tech Pkg it's got the PAX system. You have real strength to negotiate the price down. The PAX system didn't and does not work. To replace 4 PAX tires, it will cost you in excess of $2000.00. Consider that cost to get the price way down.....
I understand, I hope its already been de-pax'd since I'm buying it from a dealer that inspects their cars, but if not I'll be swapping wheels.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by pewpew
What is it going to cost you? An 06 with that low of mileage would cost easily 10k+ here in the PNW.
Seems about right, the one I'm getting is $13k.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
The RL is pretty solid, but like most luxury sedan it tend to have too much electrical control which can be annoying, but other than that nothing major happened. To tell if the car came with PAX or not look at the front grill, if the A emblem has a smoke plastic piece goes around then the car came with PAX originally in other words is looking if the car has ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control). $7-$8k RL in Houston area typical mileage is around 150k and up and the interior been beat to hell, I lucked and snatch one off for $7500 with 113k miles on the clock.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Very nice, welcome!
67k was the mileage I got my car with, and simply fell in love with how the car was, how the drive was, I mean everything! So I think you have quite a few miles to put in before major service needs doing.

I would not think there is anything major to look for, but you should get ready to get timing belt service done, probably check engine mounts, and everything above ppl mentioned.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LS1SSChris
Yeah, I'm prepared for those issues if they come up. But, I do think I remember reading that Acura dealt with most of that for the '06+ cars though.
No, they didn't. All those things are things that happen to us 2G owners.

I have a 2006 and door handles & driveshaft we're all done under extended warranty. And fuel injector issue. Best extended warranty I ever bought.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by phishfood

I have a 2006 and door handles & driveshaft we're all done under extended warranty. And fuel injector issue. Best extended warranty I ever bought.
Same here, paid $900 for extended warranty, almost $6k in repairs covered.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Oh wow, thought those were just quirks for the 05's. I'll keep it all in mind, still excited to get the car, I plan to keep it for a long time.

Snapped some quick phone pics of it at work, just came in off of the truck. Car is filthy but in such good shape, the PO's took care of it. I'll be bringing it home this weekend. Does anyone know what those two little sensor looking things are in the bumper? Never saw them on an RL, they look like little back up sensors or cameras or something?
Name:  IMG_4141_zpsjk2drfkn.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  224.3 KB
Name:  IMG_4138_zpsirgztnf7.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  250.1 KB
Name:  IMG_4140_zpspnaupofg.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  180.1 KB
Old 07-05-2017, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

can't see pic.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Hmm, don't know what's going on with photobucket. Guess I'll find another image hosting site and try again
Old 07-05-2017, 09:22 PM

Photobucket has, for all useful purposes, disabled third party hosting.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Instructor

free image service
Old 07-05-2017, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Got it, anyone know what those little dots are on the rear bumper? Driving me crazy trying to find out. I'll take some better pics once I get it home, tinted and polished
Old 07-05-2017, 11:24 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
white with black interior is a rare find. i love that combo!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:19 AM
Suzuka Master

nice find, the rear dots could be aftermarket or OEM back up sensor. Congrats on the purchase.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Thanks guys, got her home today. Man I love it, car has decent power and handles great. Question though, the navigation is not coming up, the dealer thinks that the disc is missing. I bought it with a warranty so they'll cover it if so, but is there anyway to check for sure? The "Satellite Navigation" doesn't even pop up when the car is started.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:01 AM

I'm surprised the dealer didn't just pop in a disc to see what happens??
Old 07-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Racer

Check all fuses?

How long warranty, what cover?

Check the engine mounts though at 67k probably fine. Get all those fluids changed. I'd go through maintenance manual and do it all. Transmission, transfer case, differentials ...
Old 07-08-2017, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Drove the car on a 300 mile round trip today, ran great! However, one other thing I noticed, there is an XM radio antenna on the roof of the car, but no XM button? This in conjunction with the nav not working has me wondering what the deal is? I'm happy and keeping the car regardless because I can add both, but maybe this car was not originally U.S. spec'd or something?

Originally Posted by projektvertx
I'm surprised the dealer didn't just pop in a disc to see what happens??
Yeah, I don't think they had one on hand. The guy I bought it from said he'll take care of it, so we'll see. I tried to open the unit in the trunk to see if there was a disc but it won't even open.

Check all fuses?

How long warranty, what cover?

Check the engine mounts though at 67k probably fine. Get all those fluids changed. I'd go through maintenance manual and do it all. Transmission, transfer case, differentials ...
Didn't check any fuses but I think I am going to look. Warranty is bumper to bumper and up to 125k or 48 months. Yep, I plan to get all the fluids changed very soon.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Racer

Wow, I'd like to see a picture of your nav/stereo/panel

I'm thinking Canadian cars didn't have XM installed. Maybe you got a Canada car?
Old 07-09-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
We don't have XM..
Old 07-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Started polishing it today, got the first half of the car done, gonna keep working my way through it. Going to get it tinted sometime this week, I'm thinking 5% sides and back 35% windshield.

Wow, I'd like to see a picture of your nav/stereo/panel

I'm thinking Canadian cars didn't have XM installed. Maybe you got a Canada car?
Yeah man I think I have a Canada car too, this is first thing I thought of when I noticed it.

I also noticed this keeps coming up or the nav when I start the car, could this mean it could actually have a disc in there but its not working properly?

free image hosting reviews
Old 07-10-2017, 06:25 AM
Racer

Did you open trunk and push eject on NAV unit to see if disc pops out?
Old 07-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Suzuka Master

this is interesting, the head unit indicate you have nav but the display screen displayed for a 07-08 Base RL. Your airbag off indicator indicate you have a US market car.

Last edited by truonghthe; 07-10-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Started polishing it today, got the first half of the car done, gonna keep working my way through it. Going to get it tinted sometime this week, I'm thinking 5% sides and back 35% windshield.

Yeah man I think I have a Canada car too, this is first thing I thought of when I noticed it.

free image hosting reviews
Nice looking car!

Someone stole your "XM" button.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Did you open trunk and push eject on NAV unit to see if disc pops out?
Yeah I did, won't open when I hit the button

Originally Posted by truonghthe
this is interesting, the head unit indicate you have nav but the display screen displayed for a 07-08 Base RL. Your airbag off indicator indicate you have a US market car.
I thought something was off with that, it displays the longitude and latitude and no map. Would it have been possible for someone to insert the wrong type/year nav disc or something?

Originally Posted by old_legend_guy
Nice looking car!

Someone stole your "XM" button.
Thanks! Loving it so far, hopefully that's the case because it'd be nice to have it. I'm thinking about taking this thing to Acura and have them check it out. Is there a way to check what options the car actually came with? I know on my Camaro you can do it by codes on the door sticker, not sure if this would be the same.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks! Loving it so far, hopefully that's the case because it'd be nice to have it. I'm thinking about taking this thing to Acura and have them check it out. Is there a way to check what options the car actually came with? I know on my Camaro you can do it by codes on the door sticker, not sure if this would be the same.
Have tried the VIN decoder here at Acurazine ?

https://acurazine.com/forums/vindecoder.php
Old 07-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Just did it, AK comes up next to my car so maybe I have an Alaska spec car which explains the lack of XM radio. I swear the pictures the dealer put up had a normal nav screen in them though and there is a DVD unit in the trunk.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah I did, won't open when I hit the button

I thought something was off with that, it displays the longitude and latitude and no map. Would it have been possible for someone to insert the wrong type/year nav disc or something?

2006 Acura offer the RL in two trim in the US, Base and Tech package.

Base come standard with Navi, XM, HFL and real dash wood trim and the only option is dealer install which is rearview camera.

Tech package come with CBMS (Collision Breaking Mitigation System) and ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) along with Michelin PAX run flat plus all the standard option over the base model.

Both model did NOT came with rearview/ backup camera (this is dealer install option for 2006 model).

In 2007-2008 Acura RL in the US offered in 3 trims

1. Base ----- Navi and AFS feature has been deleted, Map/Guide button now replace with "Compass" Dash wood trim is now plastic. Aux is now added as standard option and back up cam is dealer install option.
2. Tech ----- equivalent of 05-06 standard RL with Aux port and rearview camera as standard feature.
3. CBMS/PAX ---- Include all the option above along with CMBS and ACC along with PAX.

In theory your 2006 should have Navi regardless of trim. I suspected someone might install a used radio from Canadian model and deleted the Navi unit in the trunk (it might be because of it going bad). Your screen display what is know as "compass" feature on the 07-08 RL BASE model which did not come standard with Navi.

If I am missing anything people feel free to add to the list.
LS1SSChris (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Racer

Just did it, AK comes up next to my car so maybe I have an Alaska spec car which explains the lack of XM radio. I swear the pictures the dealer put up had a normal nav screen in them though and there is a DVD unit in the trunk.
If I still had my old 2006 DVD I would mail it to you .. I updated for $99 in like 2011 or 2012.

You have power on (I forget ... maybe power has to be on, maybe off, to eject DVD) I don't know did you try all ways - key in off, key in AUX position, etc.

If nothing still happening with eject button ... perhaps try GENTLY inserting a disc (just any old thing. A movie, a CD) does it suck into the Nav box in trunk? If so you verified it's working, and has no disc. If it doesn't suck in I guess you still don't know.
LS1SSChris (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Instructor

If I still had my old 2006 DVD I would mail it to you .. I updated for $99 in like 2011 or 2012.

You have power on (I forget ... maybe power has to be on, maybe off, to eject DVD) I don't know did you try all ways - key in off, key in AUX position, etc.

If nothing still happening with eject button ... perhaps try GENTLY inserting a disc (just any old thing. A movie, a CD) does it suck into the Nav box in trunk? If so you verified it's working, and has no disc. If it doesn't suck in I guess you still don't know.
%5Burl=https://ibb.co/hxZmPa%5D%5Bimg%5Dhttps://preview.ibb.co/cgCHVF/IMG_4176.jpg%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D

This is what it has, when I hit the open button it doesn't do anything but I'll try it in the different power modes like you said. This is the correct looking nav unit right?
Old 07-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^link does not work. If you need a DVD let me know, I still have my old 06 Nav DVD.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by truonghthe
^^^link does not work. If you need a DVD let me know, I still have my old 06 Nav DVD.
https://preview.ibb.co/cgCHVF/IMG_4176.jpg