Bought a roof spoiler and had a couple ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bought a roof spoiler and had a couple ???'s

Okay so I bought a roof spoiler ( lip ) that came in today and I am having painted this weekend and putting it on. I guess I was expecting it to be a little bit different. It was actually made of a rubbery material and flex's and bends. I assume this is to mold to the rounded shape of the rear window of the car but I was not sure if this was typical. I am including a link at the end of this.

Also, I am getting it painted to match the car of course, and they have a whole page of instructions which include a flex agent primer and paint as well as reccomending the use of epoxy to the rear window. Anyone done this ? And does rubber sound like a quality product? .. just not too sure myself.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-31-2016, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=roof...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 08-31-2016, 04:36 PM
Instructor

I know how to install it, but they say in the instructions that above 160 degrees F (which glass CAN exceed under sunlight on a hot day ) it is reccomended to use epoxy with 1200 pounds per sq inch - compared to the 8 lbs per sq. inch that the 3m holds.

I was more concerned about the rubber it is made of and if that is normal lol
Old 09-01-2016, 06:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
The ad says its made of polyurethane rubber, never heard of such a thing in automotive parts. If its really polyurethane then the flex additives they note are required for adhesion to the piece and natural flex piece will have same stuff as they would use to prep your bumper etc.

My personal opinion 3m is way to go to install using epoxy to hold down a 2lb spoiler (their shipping weight) is effin assinine. Lets say you ever want to remove it or replace it with that sort of tensile strength tell me how you plan to remove that shit?

Product Description

Spoilers are made from high quality polyurethane rubber (flexible) material and will sit flush against the edge of the windshield or trunk of the vehicle. Made in the USA.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
The ad says its made of polyurethane rubber, never heard of such a thing in automotive parts. If its really polyurethane then the flex additives they note are required for adhesion to the piece and natural flex piece will have same stuff as they would use to prep your bumper etc.

My personal opinion 3m is way to go to install using epoxy to hold down a 2lb spoiler (their shipping weight) is effin assinine. Lets say you ever want to remove it or replace it with that sort of tensile strength tell me how you plan to remove that shit?

Product Description

Spoilers are made from high quality polyurethane rubber (flexible) material and will sit flush against the edge of the windshield or trunk of the vehicle. Made in the USA.

The reason for using the adhesive epoxy instead of the three and is so that it does not fall off. ItThe reason for using the adhesive epoxy instead of the three and is so that it does not fall off. It gets the reason for using the adhesive epoxy instead of the three and is so that it does not fall off. It gets up to 98 degrees down here in Fort Lauderdale Coral Springs area and the temperature on the glass is probably double that. I don't want to be driving down on a hot day and have it come off.

Once I put it on I am probably never going to take it off. I was just wondering if rubber is a heart that is typically used. I see the point of it however because every single car is not exactly the same so you need something that is flexible. The only thing that is a flex agent is the paint The only thing that is a flex agent is the paint that they have to spray so once they do Flex the spoiler to add it on, it does not crackle the paint
Old 09-01-2016, 06:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cib16waker
The reason for using the adhesive epoxy instead of the three and is so that it does not fall off. ItThe reason for using the adhesive epoxy instead of the three and is so that it does not fall off. It gets the reason for using the adhesive epoxy instead of the three and is so that it does not fall off. It gets up to 98 degrees down here in Fort Lauderdale Coral Springs area and the temperature on the glass is probably double that. I don't want to be driving down on a hot day and have it come off.

Once I put it on I am probably never going to take it off. I was just wondering if rubber is a heart that is typically used. I see the point of it however because every single car is not exactly the same so you need something that is flexible. The only thing that is a flex agent is the paint The only thing that is a flex agent is the paint that they have to spray so once they do Flex the spoiler to add it on, it does not crackle the paint
Huh? Put the pipe down dude before you respond next time.

The following 2 users liked this post by 08KBP_VA:
justnspace (09-01-2016), oo7spy (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:02 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=08KBP_VA;15839352]Huh? Put the pipe down dude before you respond next time.[/Q0UOTE]

The pipe? I use the voice texting on my I use the voice texting on my phone and I did not proofread it because it's usually very accurate. It's freaking 8 o'clock in the morning I'm getting ready for work LOL. Just use a little common sense and try to decipher it there's only a couple words that were misplaced or Mis read by the voice software
Old 09-01-2016, 07:06 AM
Instructor

Sorry about the post 3 comments up.... The voice texting software really destroyed what I was trying to say.

Anyways, to reiterate it. The 3M tape is only rated to hold temperatures of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Glass down here in Fort Lauderdale Coral Springs area does not comply with that. It gets comply with that. It gets much hotter so I am considering using epoxy. As far as getting it off, I don't think I'm going to remove the spoiler anytime soon and if I do I'll deal with that problem then.

The rubber material is what concerned me. I understand that no car is made exactly the same and making it out of rubber would make a spoiler easy to adjust to the roof line. As far as the flex agent, the paint has a flex As far as the flex agent, the paint has a flex agent additive put in it so that when the spoiler Bends to get on the roof it is not cracked the paint

Last edited by cib16waker; 09-01-2016 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-01-2016, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Turn the voice to text off.

Glass does not get twice as hot as the ambient temperature. If you are worried about 3M tape holding up in the heat, go for something in between 3M and 1200 psi epoxy. Get a heat tolerant adhesive designed to adhere to glass and plastic. The spoiler is surely polyurethane thermoplastic and just feels rubber.
The following users liked this post:
cib16waker (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:45 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
The spoiler king lips have horrible "paint holding ability"...best I can describe it. Since it's flexible, it will be really hard to paint and in the future paint may start cracking/peeling. Which means in the future you possibly may need/want to remove it, so I'd vote against epoxy.

There are plenty of already painted spoilers on eBay for around the same price.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
I know it isn't the same thing, but I have my deck-lid spoiler attached using 3M VHB Tape. 4 years of harsh summer, winters and many, MANY car washes later, it's still as strong as day 1. And I have OBP paint, so it's dark. Just saying.....
Old 09-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Sorry about the post 3 comments up.... The voice texting software really destroyed what I was trying to say.

Anyways, to reiterate it. The 3M tape is only rated to hold temperatures of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Glass down here in Fort Lauderdale Coral Springs area does not comply with that. It gets comply with that. It gets much hotter so I am considering using epoxy. As far as getting it off, I don't think I'm going to remove the spoiler anytime soon and if I do I'll deal with that problem then.

The rubber material is what concerned me. I understand that no car is made exactly the same and making it out of rubber would make a spoiler easy to adjust to the roof line. As far as the flex agent, the paint has a flex As far as the flex agent, the paint has a flex agent additive put in it so that when the spoiler Bends to get on the roof it is not cracked the paint
This is vendor crap about tape and heat, this is ridiculous comment by them and I think what it boils down to is quality of their product. Man think about it this thing is like 5 pounds max? Their decription says 3lbs shipping weight. 3m adhesive is pretty strong stuff using epoxy is crazy overkill thats the equivalent of using a sledgehammer to drive in a finishing nail. Just ensure you wipe down the glass with alcohol before applying adhesive tape. You can also buy additional 3m tape and apply if your that concerned I believe there may also be a super adhesive tape too. Im with vertx I have a trunk spoiler on CGP and no issues either.

My comment was this is not rubber its urethane per their descrption and its a material that has been used for many years successfully for aftermarket parts. As to what YOU got I cant speak to their quality. I know what flex agents are and what they are used for i was saying its normal to apply to this material as vendor stated.

Last edited by 08KBP_VA; 09-01-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by projektvertx
I know it isn't the same thing, but I have my deck-lid spoiler attached using 3M VHB Tape. 4 years of harsh summer, winters and many, MANY car washes later, it's still as strong as day 1. And I have OBP paint, so it's dark. Just saying.....
Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
This is vendor crap about tape and heat, this is ridiculous comment by them and I think what it boils down to is quality of their product. Man think about it this thing is like 5 pounds max? Their decription says 3lbs shipping weight. 3m adhesive is pretty strong stuff using epoxy is crazy overkill thats the equivalent of using a sledgehammer to drive in a finishing nail. Just ensure you wipe down the glass with alcohol before applying adhesive tape. You can also buy additional 3m tape and apply if your that concerned I believe there may also be a super adhesive tape too. Im with vertx I have a trunk spoiler on CGP and no issues either.

My comment was this is not rubber its urethane per their descrption and its a material that has been used for many years successfully for aftermarket parts. As to what YOU got I cant speak to their quality. I know what flex agents are and what they are used for i was saying its normal to apply to this material as vendor stated.
Originally Posted by Harper
The spoiler king lips have horrible "paint holding ability"...best I can describe it. Since it's flexible, it will be really hard to paint and in the future paint may start cracking/peeling. Which means in the future you possibly may need/want to remove it, so I'd vote against epoxy.

I II didn't I didn't I didn't I didn't see I didn't see anything on eBay that were painted black with this exact Style.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harper

Painted for 1996 2004 Acura RL Rear Window Roof Spoiler Black Color 97 98 99 00 | eBay

I saw that one, but its garbage
Old 09-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Here is a copy of what they sent me

Old 09-01-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
How is that garbage? it certainly looks better than the rubber flex one...

you're freakin' garbage!!
Old 09-01-2016, 12:18 PM
2007 LSM KB1 Tech w/CMBS

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
You want a good quality roof spoiler, buy a Sarona.
Custom Acura RL 2008 Products - Sarona
oo7spy (09-02-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
How is that garbage? it certainly looks better than the rubber flex one...

you're freakin' garbage!!
Of course a painted spoiler looks better than an unpainted spoiler. Moron.. Wait until I get it painted and installed. It will look much better than that ebay spoiler
Old 09-01-2016, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevieray
You want a good quality roof spoiler, buy a Sarona.
Custom Acura RL 2008 Products - Sarona
Yeah I looked at that one also before buying. I liked it but wasnt wow's by it. I pick the spoiler up that I bought on Friday and I will have it on and put up pix!

--Thanks to those who actually gave useful information.

P.S. --- BIG BIG project news coming up about the car, just waiting on Greddy to get back to me with information about fitment on something.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
I'm gonna say exhaust?
Old 09-01-2016, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by teh CL
I'm gonna say exhaust?
... I wish I could find a good exhaust that wasn't exhaust that wasn't $2,000 LOL. I am awaiting on this work of magic I just had to wait on the shop to see if they could custom fabricate the intercooler piping and the exhaust piping.

Anyways I'm going to order the kit in the morning and I expect it here sometime next week or so and then I'm going to begin the install and the fabrication with my local shop guy. I will start a separate thread once I get the parts in.

I went with a kit that is mild because I'm still going to probably daily the car for the majority of the week. I'm only going to be running about 5 to 8 pounds of boost.

It's going to be a really fun and need installation, I was going to leave the Motor stock but I figured getting up to the 355-390whp range is not going to hurt the car and will be fun. With the flex fuel E85 I might see numbers higher but I do not want to run the transmission that hot. I'm also going to be adding an upgraded radiator oil cooler and maybe a transmission cooler depending on how the car performs. Anyways here's a couple attach pictures that the dealer sent me before I ordered and I just wanted to share this bit of information. The supercharger kit is far too complicated and expensive for the amount of gains in Horsepower I would receive.

Last edited by cib16waker; 09-01-2016 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

You should start a progress thread and just put all of this in there.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
You should start a progress thread and just put all of this in there.
Absolutely! That's what I said above butt yeah I'm going to make a separate thread once the parts get here. The tuning should turn out terrific with the VTech. The turbo spools up fairly quickly, and with the long rev range that we have in the Acura RL, it should hold boost for a long time and be a terrific fun little commuter, with style
Old 09-01-2016, 06:42 PM

Fabrication costs are gonna add up real fast. Either way in beyond interested, been toying with the idea of piecing a kit together.

What engine management are you gonna use?
Old 09-01-2016, 06:44 PM

VTech.

oo7spy (09-02-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Instructor

Fabrication costs are gonna add up real fast. Either way in beyond interested, been toying with the idea of piecing a kit together.

What engine management are you gonna use?
The mechanic that is putting in and tuning the system has a few different ideas that he is going to run by me for the engine management. More than likely I'm going to go with an AEM product.

To avoid complications and having to custom make a turbo manifold, I'm going to have the turbo mounted towards the middle or rear. He also threw the idea of a twin turbo kit but he needs to put the car on the left and see how the stock exhaust is laid out in terms of fitment. Most people just cut the muffler's off and put the turbot and place. I'll know a little bit more after the weekend when I go and meet with him but I have always been a fan of AEM in the past.

As far as the cost adding up, I definitely agree. The only real as far as the cost adding up, I definitely agree. The only real fabrication that needs to be done is the intercooler piping leading from the front to the rear and the exhaust coming off the turbo.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:05 PM
Instructor

I know, voice texting.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Dude, that's some solid 2.4GHz communication, don't knock it and don't blame it on voice to text.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
I wish there was a way we could determine a user is voice texting so we could block it.
The following 3 users liked this post by oo7spy:
08KBP_VA (09-03-2016), projektvertx (09-02-2016), teh CL (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
UtahTSX did a rear mounted TL-S turbo for his son...and it didnt go as planned, he ended up scrapping the project...or changing where the turbo sits...(hint NOT THE REAR)

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-mount-915801/

Old 09-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
UtahTSX did a rear mounted TL-S turbo for his son...and it didnt go as planned, he ended up scrapping the project...or changing where the turbo sits...(hint NOT THE REAR)

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-mount-915801/
I'm going to check it out! !