Bought a 2006 RL - opinions? Rear main seal, brakes, heat shield, speakers, HIDs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a 2006 RL - opinions? Rear main seal, brakes, heat shield, speakers, HIDs...

Hey all, last week I purchased a 2006 RL with about 155k miles. It was LOADS above every other used option I've considered for about 6k. The previous owner did not have the timing belt service done (which made me cringe to think about everything else he's neglected.) However, short of a few minor inconveniences, everything looked and sounded great.

Now that I own my RL, I have noticed a few things in the last week that seem concerning and would like some opinions.

1) rear main seal leak: noticed when the dealer did the timing belt service. No oil on my parking spot yet, so I'm thinking it's a hold my breath situation and hope it doesn't start urinating. The dealer also recommended I get a transmission and differential fluid change. Should I do it now or will it probably be fine for another 30k?

2) brakes: the previous owner replaced the pads all around, but did not do the rotors - all of which look aged, one of which looks chewed up, and another has a scratch. It seems to be stopping fine, but I worry that one of the calipers have seized in the past and may not be working properly now - causing the chewed up rotor. Hopefully, the prev owner just changed the pads too late. If that/s the case, I may be willing to neglect the chewed rotor if it only means needing pads on that rear wheel more often. No smoke shows as of yet.

3) Heat shield: noticed a rattle near the front of the car that turned out to be a heat shield that rusted around the bolt holes. Gave it a love tap and now the rattle is gone. The concerning thing is that the cat it was shielding was WAY deep in the engine compartment, about a foot deep from underneath the car. So, what happens if that cat goes bad? Seems extremely costly to have someone repair that. Anyone have experience with such on their RL?

4) Speakers: occasionally, I notice a rumble / blown speaker sound from the driver door lower speaker. Sometimes it's from the passenger door, sometimes its from the front center dash speaker. It happens when the stereo's on or off. Sometimes it matches the tachometer. Sometimes the speakers sound perfect. I sincerely hope this is a simple glitch or something and not a sound system shorting out. Any tips? I noticed blown speakers are a known issue with the RLs.

5) headlights: still rolling the original HIDs...which I hate having to use in fear of the ballast, igniter, or bulb eventually going. I never use "Auto" mode, and never flash my high beams to prevent repeatedly turning the lows on and off. Anyone have tips on how to further preserve them? Even better, anyone willing to make a youtube video with instructions on how to replace them?? I know the TL headlight replacement video got about 100,000 views. A previous Acurazine thread for RL low beam replacement with pictures is missing all the pictures.

With all this considered, I am still proud of my purchase and encourage anyone looking for a used RL to go for it. People do notice it. And it definitely has enough kick for drivers on a budget.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Welcome and on your RL. My opinions are below.

1) Change your transmission, transfer case, and diff fluids ASAP. Why wait and take a chance?
2) Buy new rotors on Amazon. They are cheap and brakes are important.
3) I assume you are talking about the rear pre-cat. RV6 has a straight pipe, pre-cat delete part for the J-series engine. Many people have taken theirs out, but it is a major PITA. Still doable with lots of write ups.
4) If it happens with the stereo off, it's most likely the ANC system. I would disconnect the harness at the Bose amp in the passenger quarter panel behind the trunk liner.
5) I don't understand your fears, and believe they are largely unfounded. Not using something in fear it might break is like buying a toy and never getting to play with it. Honestly, there are number of other weaker parts on the RL that will likely break first. But you continue to use those...

The following users liked this post:
not_a_doctor (01-09-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 05:55 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Being that the HID bulbs are 10 years old now, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap them out. The output is probably pretty bad if they are original, which I'm assuming they are...
Old 01-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
You can swap them out if you want - Philips and Sylvania make nice bulbs but expect to pay $100+ for each one.

I think the money is better spent polishing the headlight lenses - they are probably a bit weathered. I had mine polished with a place that used the 3M kit and then applied the 3M film on the lenses to prevent recurrence for $75 - great price.

Chris
Old 01-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Senior Moderator

You can buy Phillips D2S, OEM-quality bulbs for $80/pair on Amazon.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So update:

Heatshield around the 1st cat was rusted around one bolt causing the rattle. Happy ending after a quick cleaning.

Speakers were buzzing because of the ANC. It has since been disabled via the diagnostic menu on the headunit..no need to unplug anything. Unfortunately, I waited until it blew out my passenger speaker to make an effort at fixing.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

The setting in the diagnostic menu will reset each time the car turns off. If you're okay doing that every time you drive, then it can be a long term solution.
The following users liked this post:
not_a_doctor (03-23-2016)