Best year Rl between 2005-2008 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Best year Rl between 2005-2008

 
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 AM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Age: 46
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best year Rl between 2005-2008

I am looking to buy a 2005 to 2008 rl. I have read that 05 had tranny problems. Was this fixed in all 06 models. Or is all this about the tranny a myth?
zedjr10 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:58 AM
  #2  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,096
Thanks: 0
Thanked 218 Times in 195 Posts
I've never heard of any tranny issues in the RL. The 2004-05's and some 2006 TL's had tranny problems, which was remedied in 2007 by using the RL tranny.

I'd look for 2006-2008 RL's mainly because 2005 was the first model year. But all in all, the 2G RL was equally reliable accross all model years. They are solid vehicles.

Personally, I'd be more concerned of lack of maintenance or electrical problems than anything.
Midnight Mystery is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Midnight Mystery For This Useful Post:
rl015 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 02:37 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
rl015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Age: 39
Posts: 526
Thanked 76 Times in 62 Posts
I have 2006 and did exactly the same research before jumping into RL - what year to get or better, what not to get
I agree 06-08 is definitely to go for, if anything you may want to look for 07 or 08 - but only for the reason of getting backup camera installed (where tires are non-PAX) so at least that option is there.
I miss camera on my RL after I drive my wife's TL - definitely comes in handy to spare you turning around in your seat old fashioned way
rl015 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:52 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 62
Posts: 4,178
Thanked 730 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
I've never heard of any tranny issues in the RL. The 2004-05's and some 2006 TL's had tranny problems, which was remedied in 2007 by using the RL tranny.
Not sure where you got that information, but I'm like 99.999% positive the 2007 RL transmission had exactly zero chance of fitting in a 2004-2006 TL.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:46 PM
  #5  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,096
Thanks: 0
Thanked 218 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
Not sure where you got that information, but I'm like 99.999% positive the 2007 RL transmission had exactly zero chance of fitting in a 2004-2006 TL.

I've read probably a dozen times that the 2007-08 TL 3.2 and 3.5 engines had modified how it pairs to the transmission in order to use the RL transmission and stop using the old 5AT in the 2004-2006 TL that was prone to failure.

(I've discovered this though members here on AZ)
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:57 PM
  #6  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,096
Thanks: 0
Thanked 218 Times in 195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_0022
In 07, didn't they start using the RL transmission?
In 2007 they started using a FWD trans based off the design of the RL trans in both the base and Type S. The trans that went in the base TL has the 3.2 liter bell housing which is different than the bell housing on the type S trans. The type S trans was also tuned for more aggressive shifts, has the paddle shifters and the external cooler.

Source : https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ura-tl-773160/
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:17 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 62
Posts: 4,178
Thanked 730 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
Nothing in that thread says an AWD transmission from a 2007 RL will even remotely work in a 2004-2006 TL (or any 3G TL for that matter).
horseshoez is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:23 PM
  #8  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,096
Thanks: 0
Thanked 218 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
Nothing in that thread says an AWD transmission from a 2007 RL will even remotely work in a 2004-2006 TL (or any 3G TL for that matter).
I'm under the impression that Acura used the internals and some other components to create a special transmission for the 2007-08 TL.

I think it's an RL transmission with the AWD removed, maybe a few other things too.

I am no technician and cannot attest to any of this personally, but I've read this many times, and I can say the 2007-08 TL AT has some realation with the RL transmission, and this was done for durability.


Either way, OP should feel comfortable knowing that the RL's had no know transmission failures outside of neglect and abuse.
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:23 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 28
Posts: 66
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not the same transmision, but internally, the components were based off the RL transmission for the 07-08 TL. I think that's what he's getting at. Obviously, they are not interchangeable. haha
pewpew is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:33 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
rlerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,006
Thanked 121 Times in 98 Posts
05 rl with bugs taken care of is as good as any other year. By bugs, I mean ac field coil, prop shaft bearing, side mirrors being loose, afs lights fixed. Tranny has no issues for any year post 2005 that I’m aware of. And, if the car has higher mileage, it’s likely those issues won’t pop up as they were largely occuring 60k miles and earlier.
rlerman is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 PM
  #11  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,096
Thanks: 0
Thanked 218 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by pewpew View Post
Not the same transmision, but internally, the components were based off the RL transmission for the 07-08 TL. I think that's what he's getting at. Obviously, they are not interchangeable. haha
Thanks!
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
TonyCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 766
Thanked 125 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
Mystery, I don't think this is accurate.

The forum you're quoting is a TL forum. What they're saying is that the TL Type-S had a more dependable drivetrain than other Gen 3 TL's because it used the RL's engine and transmission. All 2005+ five-speed RL's used a reliable heavy-duty transmission. There is no indication that there's any history of chronic transmission trouble with the RL five-speed as there was with TL's and V6 Accords.

Now, there are some other reliability issues that make a 2005 RL a riskier bet than 2006 and up: carbon fiber driveshaft noise, touch-activated door locks and some other bugs that were largely straightened out by '06 or '07. But the engines and transmissions were largely bulletproof from the get-go.
TonyCD is offline  
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
  #13  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,096
Thanks: 0
Thanked 218 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCD View Post
Mystery, I don't think this is accurate.

The forum you're quoting is a TL forum. What they're saying is that the TL Type-S had a more dependable drivetrain than other Gen 3 TL's because it used the RL's engine and transmission. All 2005+ five-speed RL's used a reliable heavy-duty transmission. There is no indication that there's any history of chronic transmission trouble with the RL five-speed as there was with TL's and V6 Accords.

Now, there are some other reliability issues that make a 2005 RL a riskier bet than 2006 and up: carbon fiber driveshaft noise, touch-activated door locks and some other bugs that were largely straightened out by '06 or '07. But the engines and transmissions were largely bulletproof from the get-go.

You basically posted what I was trying to explain...

I 100% aggree with you... But the TypeS and base used the same tranny (internally) vs the 2004-06. This explains why an 07 tranny won't fit an 06. This also explains why the starter sounds different for 2007. Because it's the RL starter, and the old 2004-06 starter mounted differently...
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 62
Posts: 4,178
Thanked 730 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
You basically posted what I was trying to explain...

I 100% aggree with you... But the TypeS and base used the same tranny (internally) vs the 2004-06. This explains why an 07 tranny won't fit an 06. This also explains why the starter sounds different for 2007. Because it's the RL starter, and the old 2004-06 starter mounted differently...
No, that in no way explains why an RL tranny will not fit a 2004-2006 (or 2007-2008 for that matter) TL. The AWD elements are the issue.
horseshoez is online now  
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
  #15  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,096
Thanks: 0
Thanked 218 Times in 195 Posts
That's not what I'm trying to say... The internals are from the RL, that's why the 07-08 TL transmission is more reliable than the 04-06 TL. The housing, output shafts and so on, are completely different...

I'm not saying they're interchangeable, but I am saying that an 07-08 TL tranny is closer to an 05-08 RL tranny, vs an 04-06 TL tranny...


That's why the 04-06 TL's work best using an 06-07 AV6 tranny, as does the 2G TL...


On the bright side... All of these cars are excellent... I think it's still super cool that we're arguing over 15 year old Hondas!!!

I know I may not be completely right, but I'm glad to be here... And I still believe what I'm trying to say is true on some level... I wish an Acura tech would come and settle it... I just want to know the truth... Is what I believe correct, or not....
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old Today, 02:35 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
TonyCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 766
Thanked 125 Times in 101 Posts
Midnight, I think I see what you're saying.
TonyCD is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
fredren
Second Generation RL (2005-2012)
17
03-10-2009 09:28 PM
uasound
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
53
02-27-2008 11:58 AM
Legend 11
Second Generation TL (1999-2003)
18
07-26-2004 02:12 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best year Rl between 2005-2008


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.