Auto-Headlight: Turning On with Door Opening

Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Auto-Headlight: Turning On with Door Opening

I like the auto-headlight feature and it is working well. What I find annoying is that it turns on the headlights when you open the door. I don't see any use for that and was wondering if there was a way to make it stop (other than not using auto-headlight that is). Thanks.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/stop-hids-flashing-when-locking-709964/
Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Arrow Not Tied to Locking

Saw that but it does not seem to be the same problem. That thread is about headlights flashing when locking/unlocking. My question is about headlights turning on for as long as the door is open (not linked to locking).
Old 02-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvain
Saw that but it does not seem to be the same problem. That thread is about headlights flashing when locking/unlocking. My question is about headlights turning on for as long as the door is open (not linked to locking).
oops - did not read your question carefully. There is a similar set-up to change the length of time the lights stay on in auto mode after opening the door or turing car off (cannot remember which event it is tied to). Not sure if it can be set to zero though.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
It bothers me too, I found no option to stop it from happening. Lights turn off as soon as you slam the door...and then turn on again with the engine...retardical!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No, not retarded, it's a feature useful in a dark garage or driveway or parking area to give you illumination for a time when you are exiting or entering the car. Now that my RL is an outside car (oh, the joys of owning a garage queen summer car! ....and my wife won't give up her side of the garage... ), this feature is VERY useful.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:13 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly! That is the feature I use almost everyday!

Originally Posted by neuronbob
No, not retarded, it's a feature useful in a dark garage or driveway or parking area to give you illumination for a time when you are exiting or entering the car. Now that my RL is an outside car (oh, the joys of owning a garage queen summer car! ....and my wife won't give up her side of the garage... ), this feature is VERY useful.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

I understand the need for lights when you exit the car, but when you just opened the door? then it shuts off when you close the door, and turns on when you start the engine...that's retardical!
Old 02-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
I understand the need for lights when you exit the car, but when you just opened the door?
Yes, for the reason I stated above.

then it shuts off when you close the door, and turns on when you start the engine...that's retardical!
You can program some of this functionality in the MID. I have mine programmed to stay on for 15 seconds after opening or closing the door. That way, when I unlock the car using the handle on these dark winter days, the lights come on. They stay on after I close the door and prior to starting the car. I can at least see my newspaper in the driveway, partially buried by the snow.

From page 115-116 of the 2006 owner's manual:

Originally Posted by Acura RL owner's manual

Headlight AutoOff Timer
The headlights, parking lights, side marker lights, taillights, and license plate lights go off after the selected time when you close the driver’s door and take the remote with you.

While the multi-information display is in the LIGHTING SETUP screen of the CUSTOMIZE GROUP, press the SEL/RESET button. The screen changes to CUSTOMIZE MENU. Press the INFO (^/v) button untilyou see the above display. ("Headlight AutoOff Timer") Press the SEL/RESET button. The screen changes as shown above. Select how long you want the lights to stay on before they go off (60, 30, 15, or 0 seconds) by pressing the INFO (^/ v) button, then press the SEL/RESET button to enter your selection. When your choice is set, you will see the above display f or several seconds, (The amount of time you selected) then the screen goes back to CUSTOMIZE MENU.
Now you can get rid of the whole behavior. Just set the timer to 0 seconds and you're done.

It's OK, I still learn things from reading the manual after 2 1/2 years with my car.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Safety Car

mine are set to 0, which is why I guess I am experiencing the door open lights on, door closed lights off behavior, and lights on again with engine.

Making it 15 would prevent it from going off when I just enter the car...so I guess I can go with that route.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Arrow Same Problem on Accessory Position

Originally Posted by 037
I understand the need for lights when you exit the car, but when you just opened the door? then it shuts off when you close the door, and turns on when you start the engine...that's retardical!
Not only that but when you stop the car and leave it in "accessory" mode to, let's say wait for someone, the headlights will not turn off ever. (unless you cycle the switch from Auto to On and then back to Auto) Annoying.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
mine are set to 0, which is why I guess I am experiencing the door open lights on, door closed lights off behavior, and lights on again with engine.

Making it 15 would prevent it from going off when I just enter the car...so I guess I can go with that route.
Be thankful that on your year (and perhaps other years) that the car doesn't start beeping at you telling you that the lights are on. The beep is to tell you that the lights are on and that the car door is open, either of which should be apparent to even the average American. I say that because in other countries there is no beep for this eventuality. Acura obviously thinks that Americans are too stupid to know that the illumination around them is from the car and that they are so forgetful that they forgot that they opened the door. Absolutely insulting and Acura should be severely chastised for their insolence. Fortunately, as I mentioned, this was fixed in later models.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:19 AM
2013 RL or bust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
Be thankful that on your year (and perhaps other years) that the car doesn't start beeping at you telling you that the lights are on. The beep is to tell you that the lights are on and that the car door is open, either of which should be apparent to even the average American. I say that because in other countries there is no beep for this eventuality. Acura obviously thinks that Americans are too stupid to know that the illumination around them is from the car and that they are so forgetful that they forgot that they opened the door. Absolutely insulting and Acura should be severely chastised for their insolence. Fortunately, as I mentioned, this was fixed in later models.
Yeah, it makes my blood begin to boil when it's beeping and I'm quite aware my lights are on..
Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Safety Car

fixed or not it still beeps when the door is open and lights are on.

Luckily lights auto shut off so I just ignore the beeping while I slam the door in a hurry. When lights are in auto I think it doesn't beep...but I'm stick in the ON position as I don't have DRL anymore.