Apple CarPlay for RL's

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Apple CarPlay for RL's

This is purely curiosity. I read today on many different tech news sites that apple's car play was coming to after market companies like pioneer. Does anyone know if it is at all possible to incorporate carplay into the second gen. RL's? If possible, would it be as simple at a software update? Would we have to replace the DVD unit or the display head unit? All thoughts and speculations are welcomed.....
Old 04-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Racer

mmm..... guess no one cares about carplay!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
No, it would not be that simple. Nothing short of a car PC system or an aftermarket head unit would allow you to use CarPlay in a 2G RL.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
Yeah, like Bdogg said, I don't see it happening. Partly because the car was such a small seller that the aftermarket won't lift a finger to make it possible. I think the USA Spec unit for iPhones is as good as it's gonna get for us, at least within any reasonable budget parameters.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Honestly, I wish i could just turn the bluetooth button to engage siri when I hold it down, and have siri actually come through the bluetooth without having to be making a phone call. oh well. it is a 2005 after all
Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
I dunno about carplay but if you have samsung galaxy device, there's actually a very nice opportunity to make something unique.
I have the intention of mirroring my Galaxy Note 3 screen on the RL screen all wirelessly. The audio and video signals will be feeded to the car via the traditional Navtool and audio input device of ur choice. Mine is Grom audio, other people use Usaspec. 2 other device are needed for this setup. 1st the Samsung Allshare Cast which connects to the phone via Wifi Direct to need of a hotspot or router. The device can be powered by a micro-usb cable. Then outputting the A/V signal from the Allshare Cast device via HDMI to the 2nd device that we need, Mini HDMI2AV, to convert the digital signal to composite. From the converter, video cable goes to Navtool and audio cable goes to Grom unit. Finally my phone's screen will be mirrored to RL's screen wirelessly and this is a full mirroring protocol not like apple. I will be able to see exactly whats showing on my phone, all the apps, everything.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:47 AM
Racer

Please post pics and status as you do the install. If it is succsessfull it will be the nudge I need to abandon Apple products altogether. I really do find it frustrating that such expensive and tech filled vehicles like ours cannot be upgraded by software. 2nd gen RLs deffinantly were not future proof.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
The iPhone didn't even exist when the RL was designed. Your expectations are ridiculous. They made a 30 pin video out for the iPhone that mirrors the screen. However, I don't believe the 8 pin has that option yet.
The following users liked this post:
BDoggPrelude (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by M T L T L
I dunno about carplay but if you have samsung galaxy device, there's actually a very nice opportunity to make something unique.
I have the intention of mirroring my Galaxy Note 3 screen on the RL screen all wirelessly. The audio and video signals will be feeded to the car via the traditional Navtool and audio input device of ur choice. Mine is Grom audio, other people use Usaspec. 2 other device are needed for this setup. 1st the Samsung Allshare Cast which connects to the phone via Wifi Direct to need of a hotspot or router. The device can be powered by a micro-usb cable. Then outputting the A/V signal from the Allshare Cast device via HDMI to the 2nd device that we need, Mini HDMI2AV, to convert the digital signal to composite. From the converter, video cable goes to Navtool and audio cable goes to Grom unit. Finally my phone's screen will be mirrored to RL's screen wirelessly and this is a full mirroring protocol not like apple. I will be able to see exactly whats showing on my phone, all the apps, everything.
Spelling correction

Samsung Allshare Cast which connects to the phone via Wifi Direct NO need of a hotspot or router.

Im foreseeing this summer for the install so it might take a while if you are waiting for the outcome.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by M T L T L
I did this when I had my RL (used a Galaxy s4 though) and instead of the Samsung Allshare Cast I used the Samsung MHL to HDMI adapter. It was pretty cool and allowed me to see my navi screen as if it were my phone. watched Netflix, youtube, took calls, Pandora etc.

But in my new car I installed a Pioneer deck which supports app radio. I downloaded ARLiberator and can fully mirror my s4 on the Pioneer deck but it also has tocuh control of the phone via the Pioneer deck also. Once I get in the car, the phone never has to come out of my pocket or wherever I place it (cupholder, glovebox, etc) and I have full control of the phone via the Pioneer screen.

It would be nice if the RL could do something like what the Pioneer deck does for me.

Another option is to get one of those mini Android sticks (most are HDMi out) and a wireless mouse for a carputer like thing. Thats probably the route I would have gone if I kept the RL.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Senior Moderator

What did you buy?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
Sorry in advance for the partial thread jack.

Got an 09 Yukon Denali with 30K miles. Only thing it doesn't have that the RL did is the keyless start (which I miss dearly. I hate taking keys out of my pocket ) and projectors and led tails. Otherwise I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Getting close to the same mileage I was getting in the RL too with a 6.2L V8.

But I am impressed with the build quality of the truck as well. Having owned 3 Acuras and a Honda since my last American car I thought I was going to regret the switch but to my surprise my truck came off of a particular assembly line in Texas where only a select few are built so i guess more attention to detail and assembly happens there similar to how our RL's were built in Japan.

So far I've tinted, upgraded all bulbs to leds, changed the headunit and changed all of the speakers (the Bose speakers didn't sound right after the headunit swap) and added HID headlights and fogs. I'll be doing a projector retrofit soon, airraid intake hose, exhaust resonator removal, a custom tune for better mpg and shifts, led tailights (perhaps escalade), and debadge and I should be done.

Last edited by EL19; 04-22-2014 at 02:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (05-11-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by L's TL
I did this when I had my RL (used a Galaxy s4 though) and instead of the Samsung Allshare Cast I used the Samsung MHL to HDMI adapter. It was pretty cool and allowed me to see my navi screen as if it were my phone. watched Netflix, youtube, took calls, Pandora etc.

But in my new car I installed a Pioneer deck which supports app radio. I downloaded ARLiberator and can fully mirror my s4 on the Pioneer deck but it also has tocuh control of the phone via the Pioneer deck also. Once I get in the car, the phone never has to come out of my pocket or wherever I place it (cupholder, glovebox, etc) and I have full control of the phone via the Pioneer screen.

It would be nice if the RL could do something like what the Pioneer deck does for me.

Another option is to get one of those mini Android sticks (most are HDMi out) and a wireless mouse for a carputer like thing. Thats probably the route I would have gone if I kept the RL.
Touch control would be nice but not doable on the RL, the screen is too far anyways. In my setup, I would use the phone itself as the control, the best part is that the connection is wireless so no cables attached to the phone. In my case, the hardest part is to find the best place where and how to mount the phone, within reach and not obtrusive to other dashboard buttons.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Racer

How would you connect android hdmi to the car? And what functions would it have?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you just want Bluetooth audio, here is the solution i use. It works well but for one minor problem.... It turns itself off, so, every time you get into the car you have to turn it on if you want Bluetooth audio.

Amazon.com: GOgroove BlueGate Bluetooth Adapter Wireless Receiver with A2DP Technology for Home Stereo , Portable Speakers , Headphones , Car Music Sound Systems , & More 3.5mm Media Devices: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: GOgroove BlueGate Bluetooth Adapter Wireless Receiver with A2DP Technology for Home Stereo , Portable Speakers , Headphones , Car Music Sound Systems , & More 3.5mm Media Devices: MP3 Players & Accessories
Old 02-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pioneer and Alpine make Carplay aftermarket units, and I found a youtube video where they install it on an MDX. I would love to have one installed on my RL

Here are the pioneer units

Pioneer CarPlay

youtube video putting carplay in MDX

Old 02-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Toppatop
mmm..... guess no one cares about carplay!

Maybe no one cares for apple :P
Old 02-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by thefork
Pioneer and Alpine make Carplay aftermarket units, and I found a youtube video where they install it on an MDX. I would love to have one installed on my RL
If I am not mistaken, that system is a standalone stereo with standard Double-DIN size. You can take the radio out, and pop in a new one without issue.

As you know all too well, that is not the case with the RL where the stereo, HVAC, and navigation are integrated into one system.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:10 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FoxRL
Maybe no one cares for apple :P
Has anyone tried to connect your iPhone to a new NavTool 3,0 hdmi without wires? Example through Apple TV?