Anyone change entire A/C radiator fan assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:25 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Anyone change entire A/C radiator fan assembly?

Not just a swap the motor, but pull entire thing off and replace (as a unit that have fan, motor, shroud, etc., all as one)

Was it hard? Or just remove four/five bolts and a connector slap new one on done in half an hour?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:44 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I did remove everything when my AC compressor went out. The proper way to remove the fans and not damage the AC condenser is to remove 1st the serpentine belt, 2nd remove the alternator, 3rd remove the under cover or whatever it is called, then the connector from ac compressor on the right side and left side which is hard to remove. lastly the bolts.

Originally Posted by phishfood
Not just a swap the motor, but pull entire thing off and replace (as a unit that have fan, motor, shroud, etc., all as one)

Was it hard? Or just remove four/five bolts and a connector slap new one on done in half an hour?
Old 06-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a bad radiator fan on our 08 RL. To get that out, I had to crawl under and remove the splash shield. Then you release maybe 7-8 harness clips at the bottom of the two fan shrouds (that was a pain), and the connectors (after 10 years) don't come off easily. Loosening the bottom bolts (2) was easy.

Then the usual next step is removing the RFC module. That was a no-no: the screws are small and soft and you can not get much pressure on them to screw them out. Instead I finally removed the top hose at the radiator end and folded it back. That allowed me to lift up the radiator fan shroud enough to get the a/c fan shroud out. The radiator fan shroud then comes out, after removing the plastic air duct next to it. The nuts holding the fan itself on the motor are smaller than I expected, but they come off alright, being careful to block the fan from turning.

BTW I could not see any way to open the motor housing to check the bushings and springs.