touch lock on acura rl 2005 doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
touch lock on acura rl 2005 doesn't work

Hi, my acura rl 2005 touch lock from driver's side door doesn't work. Does anybody know how to fix this?
Old 12-21-2017, 04:49 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
This occurs on my car when the weather turns cool and gets very damp......foggyconditions In fact just happened two days ago. Driver's side inop, pass side is fine.

Just wait for the electrics to dry out and it will probably fix itself.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
the touch lock/unlock and be disrupted by snow/ice and wet weather, however if it doesn't work during a clear weather day then you need to check the basic such as fuse and connection. If all else is good then its possible you have a bad door handle sensor.
The following users liked this post:
HDNBenjamin (12-22-2017)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:38 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is always a mystery with these cars (touch sensors and AFS)
My scenario which i cant seem to solve:

- Door handles worked fine when i got the car - year later, they stopped working.
- Replaced passenger door handle (i cant remember why i had to replace it, something to do with the alarm or something)
- Touch sensor still doesnt work
- If i sit in the car and reach my arm out the window and touch the exterior handle, i get a "green key" that lights up on my dash (so to me, information is being sent from the door to the computer)

*Head scratch*
Old 02-08-2018, 12:52 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has been a problem on my RL for over10 years now. I've had both driver and passenger side handles replaced several times. Every time they were replaced they would work for several months, then would not lock whenever it was raining. The unlock would always work though. Whenever there is a heavy rain I still have to use the FOB to lock the doors. The thing that got me mad was that Acura knew that they had a problem, but instead of redesigning the handle, they just kept replacing them with a design that they knew didn't work. Then the warranty was over and I (and everyone else) was out of luck.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:56 AM
Instructor

Angry

The handles are expensive but at least they come painted for that price! I knew a guy that worked at the local Acura dealership and gave me 25% off parts.....came in handy when i had to order both front control arms.
Living in Canada has taken its toll on my RL. I have rust around both handles. Trying to locate a white parts car in Canada is tough!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:51 AM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
I've been having the same mysterious issue https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ystery-965577/

Weather changes seem to be the cause.

Check if your end caps are loose. Mine are.

I feel a fix for this is to remove the handles, weatherproof them somehow, and re-install them may fix this. An exterior silicone sealing of the caps and handles to the door paint may solve it, but how desirable is that.

Just thought of this... Remember how the airflow works in the car and how the inside door handle flows air inside when the roof is tilted up? I feel this may bring it added 'weather' to inside the door.... But I'm no expert.. I don't know how the air flows inside but it may also be a cause.

Anyone knows how we can 'weatherproof' a handle?
Old 02-10-2018, 03:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FoxRL
The handles are expensive but at least they come painted for that price! I knew a guy that worked at the local Acura dealership and gave me 25% off parts.....came in handy when i had to order both front control arms.
Living in Canada has taken its toll on my RL. I have rust around both handles. Trying to locate a white parts car in Canada is tough!
I have the same problem with corrosion at the handle ends. I have to believe the electrics in the handle must set up some type of electrolysis and being we are in cold country makes it worse. Fortunately I found a door on Craigslist that is the same color and no rust.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Instructor

This portion is so embedded in the handle it can't be taken out nicely.
Beautiful :s
Rusting inside the handle...So I had a spare door handle and free time today. I removed the guts of the handle only to reveal how corroded this electrical plug was. Based on all the material that was covering this plug, I would suggest that when you are pressure washing your car, NOT to pressure was the handle and maybe use a small zap of air to ensure all condensation is out of the handle.
This sensor is molded between the chrome piece and the painted part.