Air Conditioned Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Air Conditioned Seats

Fellas whats up - I am thinking about adding air conditioned seats to my RL.. To those who know me.. usually I do what I intend to do so if you have any information on how this can be done or where to start (can I buy any new RL modules?)

Id like to consider this and see if it can be done if doing it is reasonable and with the leather seats maybe its possibile?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:21 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
The Canadian RL's have cooled seats. I've long thought about it, but never actually looked into it. I'd venture and say that if you can get ahold of the Canadian parts diagram, it might shed light as to what needs to be done?
Old 06-03-2017, 02:50 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Guys, I have this option on my RL and like it a lot, however, I think the seats are more ventilated than cooled and as I understand it, it actually draws air into the seat perforations. It does have a nice cooling effect and very comfortable, but I would never call it cold as if they were air conditioned. And, I never feel air blowing out through the perforations.
Here's a link. Hope this helps.
2017 Acura MDX | Features | Interior | Acura.com
Old 06-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Advanced

When I typed that last night I was at work and not able to physically check how my seats worked. So, upon further investigation, I found that the fan does indeed blow out through the perforations (sorry I misinterpreted " The ventilation works by drawing air into the seats through perforations in the leather, cooling your body". Yet it's barely enough to lift a tissue. There is a very small fan under the seat, smaller than the fan on my CPU. It sucks air from the floor and sends it through ducts into the seat bottom and the back of the seat. So the seats are not A/C'd per say, just ventilated. Having said that, I still like them and would recommend them, especially for longer trips.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:58 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Haven't made much progress on this.. cant seem to find a canadian acura store for the cooled seats
Old 06-04-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
Haven't made much progress on this.. cant seem to find a canadian acura store for the cooled seats
I know the wiring diagrams in the service manuals have Canadian and American wiring diagrams. In my experience on the Camry and putting heated seats, it's usually the same/identical harness with a couple of wires that aren't quite wired in if that makes sense?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
I looked into this a while back. It's feasible but pretty involved, and nobody we know of has tried it yet.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-seats-688858/

The best answer might be to look out for a junked RL that has the cooled seats in your color.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I am pretty sure it much more involved more than just part only, I guess you will need the additional wiring harness that will handle the cooling part.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
I am pretty sure it much more involved more than just part only, I guess you will need the additional wiring harness that will handle the cooling part.
I can't imagine it being too involved. It's not like the cooled seat is integrated into a electronic function, I.e unlike the new Acuras you don't access the cooled seat button through the screen or anything like that. I'd imagine he would need the seats, buttons, and wiring connectors. There isn't going to be a huge change in wiring for a relatively minor difference.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Advanced

Here's a picture of the blower under the seat of my Elite. It takes the air from the floor to ventilate the seat with cool (ambient) air. There is a second blower in the back of the seat as well. This blower is small. Only about 1-1/2" across in total, including the housing.
Would I recommend ventilated seats? Yes. Would I recommend a retro fit? Probably not. These work pretty good, but they won't blow you away... Literally....
Name:  unnamed_zpsakvveqxs.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  164.7 KB
Old 06-06-2017, 07:45 AM
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts
This sounds something like the power folding mirrors. If you think about it, fairly an easy job. What gets tricky is how you want it integrated. The stickler that I am,I wanted my mirrors to work with the OEM switch as opposed to an aftermarket toggle switch. This was the biggest pain in the rear. ooSpy can attest as he was helping me out giving me diagrams to construct and then test. Anyways, not to divert, but If you can get a hold of the seats, I'm sure you could make your own harness to work the cooling feature. How does the US button look on the seat? Is there an option to use cool?

I would think you want a set of Canadian, Euro, or Japanese seats and the switches. From there you should be able to mock up a custom setup. The feature is nice but feels weird as my seats get cold and it feels awkward.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Lexus ventilate seat is weak as hell, the GS350 and LS460 barely blow anything on idle, Lexus ventilate seat will blow harder once you in gear and drive. I drove several MDX and TLX with advance package and with the setting on high I barely feel anything close to be called "cooled seat". The best "cooling seat" was experienced on a CTS-V where its actually blow cold air into the seat.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Lexus ventilate seat is weak as hell, the GS350 and LS460 barely blow anything on idle, Lexus ventilate seat will blow harder once you in gear and drive. I drove several MDX and TLX with advance package and with the setting on high I barely feel anything close to be called "cooled seat". The best "cooling seat" was experienced on a CTS-V where its actually blow cold air into the seat.

As you are alluding to, there is a BIG difference between cooled seats and ventilated seats with the former being MUCH better. I believe only caddy and lincoln actually do it properly with the use of a peletier device/actual AC air piped in. Almost everybody else uses some lame ass fan setup.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

well at least MB let you do heating and ventilating at the same time.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts
why would someone want that?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Lincoln lets you do actual cooling and heating at the same time.

Originally Posted by ChocBoyWonder
why would someone want that?
From a lincoln press release a few years ago (iirc) they said that you could turn on the heating and cooling function at the same time in order to dry clothing. Apparently it's like a blow dryer and will dry your clothing if they are wet like say walking through a parking lot on a heavy rain day...etc.