aftermarket Onstar

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket Onstar

Well, I sort of wished this article came out before I made an offer on an '06, since onstar was a big selling point for me vs getting an '07 without onstar.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-32254_1-20027278-283.html

basically you can replace your rearview mirror with the bulky, onstar rearview mirror that will give you some of the onstar features.

nah, I probably wouldn't get one anyway as i'm not sure how this would look. but an option for those who are okay with limited onstar services - and the look...

plus it seems to be geared towards the basic family sedan market like the camrys and accords.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
You are suggesting that Onstar has credibility with an RL. I think that most people with 2nd Gen RL's with the Onstar option have not renewed their subscription. For what purpose did you want Onstar?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM
9th Gear

I agree, I dropped Onstar when I was told that the Verizon deal did not apply to Acura, only GM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually OnStar works great with the '05 and '06 RLs. Here is what they support:

-Remote Unlocking/Horn honking & Lights flashing
-Automatic Crash Response (If your airbags deploy)
-Emergency Assist (Roadside Assistance)
-Stolen Vehicle Tracking (They can tap into the RL's GPS and track the car's movement, but cannot shutdown or slow the engine)
-Handsfree Calling (Not to be confused with HandsfreeLink Bluetooth)

Turn-by-turn navigation, engine shutdown, and vehicle diagonistics are not supported.

Personally, I love having this feature in my RL and will gladly pay the $200/year to protect myself and my passengers.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rmjse
Actually OnStar works great with the '05 and '06 RLs. Here is what they support:

-Remote Unlocking/Horn honking & Lights flashing
-Automatic Crash Response (If your airbags deploy)
-Emergency Assist (Roadside Assistance)
-Stolen Vehicle Tracking (They can tap into the RL's GPS and track the car's movement, but cannot shutdown or slow the engine)
-Handsfree Calling (Not to be confused with HandsfreeLink Bluetooth)

Turn-by-turn navigation, engine shutdown, and vehicle diagonistics are not supported.

Personally, I love having this feature in my RL and will gladly pay the $200/year to protect myself and my passengers.
Remote Unlocking - My daughter has a Tahoe and at my house she has left the keys in the car twice but Onstar could not unlock it. Besides, the RL does not have a key to leave in the ignition.
Automatic Crash Response - My friends GMC truck was kust written off in an aquaplane on the freeway but the airbags did not deploy so so Onstar intervention.
Roadside Assistance - Your Nav system has a quick link to Acura service or a search for assistance or just subscribe to AAA.
Handsfree Calling - just use your cell phone. There is much better coverage now than there was in 05.
Turn by Turn - your Nav system does this for you and it came free in your RL.
Engine Shutdown - If I wanted someone else to shutdown the engine then I'll give them my other fob!
Vehicle diagnostics are useless - all it tells you is to take your car to the dealer at your earliest convenience.

I don't think that I would subscribe even if it was only $5/mo..
Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
I don't think that I would subscribe even if it was only $5/mo..
For $5.00/month, I'd subscribe just for the airbag deployment notification...but, a friend of mine (former GM dealership owner) told me they will contact emergency services if the airbags deploy even if there is no active subscription since not doing so would expose them to all kinds of liability (they knew of the accident and did nothing). I have no proof that they will but I'll take his word for it. Personally, I'd gladly subscribe to a $5.95 (or even $9.95) per month subscription that does nothing other than call emergency services in the event of an airbag deployment. As stated above, all of the other stuff doesn't necessarily work in an RL and I don't need what does...

LL
Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 PM
9th Gear

Unfortunately, $18.95/month is their lowest offering.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:17 PM
9th Gear

I have had several cars come with OnStar and never found any use for it. The one time I tried to turn it on and "register" with OnStar -- in my driveway -- they could not locate my car! I figured if they couldn't find my car in my driveway then it wasn't something I wanted to rely upon in an emergency...
Old 01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lland
For $5.00/month, I'd subscribe just for the airbag deployment notification
I was pretty tired and half asleep when I drove into work this morning but I still think that I would have noticed if the air bag went off!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
I was pretty tired and half asleep when I drove into work this morning but I still think that I would have noticed if the air bag went off!
Not if you're unconscious. When they get notification of airbag deployment, they call the car and see if the people in it are OK. If not or they get no response to the call, they are supposed to notify the appropriate emergency response unit.

LL
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
we have the onstar turned on in our 06. The 95 Legend we had (notice "had") was hit so hard from behind we are lucky to be here. Figured might as well have someone watch over us if we need help and can't request it. It is money but I have but one life. The system has better phone reception and clarity than our wireless phones do.