AcuraLink Messages

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AcuraLink Messages

Is everyone getting the messages from Acura via the AcuraLink? I have been told there are initially a number of messages from Acura when you first get the car. I have not gotten one.

Does this need the cell phone set up to get the messages? Everytime I try to get the set up to work, it says can not connect to the Acura server. I am using a SMT 5600 cell phone on the AT&T/Cingular network. I have tried the easy set up as I do not not the info they want via the other set up.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:34 PM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You do not need to integrate a cell to get Acura Link Messages. Try going into your "SETUP" screen and then choosing "AcuraLink". Upon selection if you do not get further choices and it just sits there then your not communicating with the AL server.

Mine stopped communicating a while back and I had to have the dealer reset the connection.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Instructor

dtrose, is that the screen where it asks you what cell phone provider you have and then tries to communicate with the Acura server? I have gotten there a number of times and it alsways tells me the server can not be contacted or something similar.

Thanks for your response.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:58 PM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Yes I believe its the same one. It also asks if you would like updates automatically or to be prompted prior to Downloading.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Thanks. Mine always asks for me to pick a cell phone provider. It also offers easy set up or manual set up. Neither work (although I don't know what info is needed to manually enter the set up info). It then tries to communicate with the server and never connects. Maybe I have a bad unit, but the XM and Nav seem to work ok.

I will follow up with dealership but they seem pretty clueless about this system.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:20 PM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Geez, I have the same exact problem. And I have the same exact lousy h-f link problem you have. Given this circumstance, I can't imagine that the two problems are not related.

I'm at the dealer on Tuesday. Hopefully they'll get it fixed, they seem like a great shop. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Thaks, 8-)! I have called my dealer as well as Acura CS. They both said they will look into the problem. I will post any info I receive as well.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:49 PM
8-)

Try this. Log on to Owners on the Acura web site, then Owner Link, then My Profile, then Acura Link Preferences, click Edit, and there is a phone #(800) 382-2238 to call to set up your Acura Link preferences. It appears that the dealer is supposed to set this up, but the CS rep confirmed that my dealer had not. Maybe the same for you? I can't tell you yet if it worked because the rep advised that it will take about 2 days to take effect. Maybe your dealer is doing this for you now, or you could call the number and get it done directly. You'll need your VIN #.

Wish me luck. Good luck to you.

And I guess that about kills my theory on the Acura Link server problem being related to the telephone quality! Ok, one down (I hope), one to go.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:46 PM
8-)

Received my first Acura Link message when I started the car tonight.

I tried to link to the Acura Server, but still couldn't do that. Geez, not sure I need to, not even sure what it does! Back to the manual later tonight...

Listened to a call from my car tonight, it sounded like I was standing in a windstorm. Maybe my vent was pointed up, just like they warn you about in the manual? I'll check that out tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:35 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 8-)
Try this. Log on to Owners on the Acura web site, then Owner Link, then My Profile, then Acura Link Preferences, click Edit, and there is a phone #(800) 382-2238 to call to set up your Acura Link preferences. It appears that the dealer is supposed to set this up, but the CS rep confirmed that my dealer had not. Maybe the same for you? I can't tell you yet if it worked because the rep advised that it will take about 2 days to take effect. Maybe your dealer is doing this for you now, or you could call the number and get it done directly. You'll need your VIN #.

Wish me luck. Good luck to you.

And I guess that about kills my theory on the Acura Link server problem being related to the telephone quality! Ok, one down (I hope), one to go.
Is that the same as OnStar? My Acura salesman sat in the car with me for 15 minutes after delivery just to call OnStar and set up my vehicle. (I thought it was great, but I just kept thinking "let's hurry this up so I can drive it.")
Old 12-22-2004, 06:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8-)
Received my first Acura Link message when I started the car tonight.

I tried to link to the Acura Server, but still couldn't do that. Geez, not sure I need to, not even sure what it does! Back to the manual later tonight...

Listened to a call from my car tonight, it sounded like I was standing in a windstorm. Maybe my vent was pointed up, just like they warn you about in the manual? I'll check that out tomorrow.
What was the message? Was it diagnostic or a warning? If so that is generated internally. I received a message that the key fob was not in the car and the car might not start. Obviously not true. I don't think that message came from Acura. I think the car's computer generated it. Still waiting on my first A-link messages. Acuia CS has escalated problem 2x now. No one really knows what's going on.

As for HFLsound quality I think the very small/cheap microphone is the main culprit. Wonder if it can be upgraded?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:05 AM
8-)

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
What was the message? Was it diagnostic or a warning? If so that is generated internally. I received a message that the key fob was not in the car and the car might not start. Obviously not true. I don't think that message came from Acura. I think the car's computer generated it. Still waiting on my first A-link messages. Acuia CS has escalated problem 2x now. No one really knows what's going on.

As for HFLsound quality I think the very small/cheap microphone is the main culprit. Wonder if it can be upgraded?
The first message was one that said something like "there will be 32 messages delivered in the next 90 days, one message a day..." I got the second one while driving to work this morning, it had to do with "if you leave your car running and the key fob is not in the car then bad things will happen..."

Based on my recent experience, I'd bet you just haven't been set up by acura. Maybe they input the wrong VIN #, or something as equally silly. I'd call the CS # and have them verify that you are (or are not) set up to receive the messages. The fellow I spoke to did not initially know what I was talking about, put me on hold to check with someone else, then was able to handle the call well.

I had my wife call me this morning to make sure I wouldn't have a problem answering a call in the car. Simple enough, I pressed the phone button and was connected. She said the call sounded good! Beats me. I'll try it a bunch more to see whether it stays good. Or to figure out what causes the windstorm effect (vent pointed up?).

Oh, and I've received the keyfob not in car message three times now. It was legit, though, I left the car running while I went in the house to pick up some stuff. But, here's the problem, for the life of me I can't figure out how to delete these diagnostic messages. I'm beginning to think I have to call acura or have the dealer delete them. That would be a pain. So, if anyone out there knows how to delete diagnostic messages, please, please advise!!
Old 12-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Intermediate

AcuraLink Server Problems

I am experiencing the same issues connecting to AcuraLink. I am going to the dealer this morning to see if they have to "reset" the system. The phone linked up great and the HF works. However, I keep gettig the cannot connect to the server error message. Will post my findings.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Instructor

8-), glad to see you get your messages started. No luck here and nothing yet from Acura re the problem. I called again and left a message for the caseworker.

I too have a diagnostic message I can not delete. Oh well. Off to the dealership, I guess.

Finally, on the HFL voice quality. I was speaking with someone tonight via the HFL and then reached my destination and transfered the call to my phone and the person on the other end said, "There you are, I can hear you now". I wish I could figure out if this was phone related or related to the HFL.

Does anyone know if the little square plastic between the moonroof and the On Star panel is the microphone? If so, it's pretty small. Wonder if it can be upgraded or replaced?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, and I've received the keyfob not in car message three times now. It was legit, though, I left the car running while I went in the house to pick up some stuff. But, here's the problem, for the life of me I can't figure out how to delete these diagnostic messages. I'm beginning to think I have to call acura or have the dealer delete them. That would be a pain. So, if anyone out there knows how to delete diagnostic messages, please, please advise!!
I heard a rumor while at the dealer from another owner that there is some sequence of console buttons you can push to delete the messages. A salesman confirmed this but didn't know (said someone in service knew). Does anyone know? I will definitely ask around my service department if the answer is not known by someone here.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:29 PM
8-)

I used the h-f phone a couple of times tonight. More windstorm noise, but it wasn't horrible. Just bad. I turned the vents down, so that wasn't it. Maybe just road noise? Next thing I need to try is to take the phone power out of the accessory socket. It's a longshot, but maybe the socket/power is inducing noise? Worth a try, it'll only take a minute, I just have to remember to try it!

I hope the command to delete diagnostic messages is simple, I'm still on overload.

Gator: I bet messages are on the way to you.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Advanced

Here's a blurb on how delete the messages:

To delete the keyless access warning message, press the CANCEL, MAP/GUIDE and MENU buttons simultaneously. Select XM/HIP, select XM (HIP) ECU, select Diagnostic Info, select the message, select delete, and select yes.

Also, has anyone tried their "personal calling minutes" with the OnStar system? When I did my girlfriend said that it sounded better than the HFL system with my T610. It wasn't a controlled test though, and my car speed (i.e. background noise) did change between calls. As far as I can tell the OnStar system uses the same microphone as the HFL. If that's true, maybe the BT interface is causing the poor quality, just a guess...

- Lawrence
Old 12-23-2004, 11:08 AM
8-)

Originally Posted by larryka

- Lawrence
Larryka: Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been obsessing over how to get rid of those diagnostic messages. Did I say thank you?

I guess some investigation into the OnStar phone is in order.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Pro

To delete the keyless access warning message, press the CANCEL, MAP/GUIDE and MENU buttons simultaneously. Select XM/HIP, select XM (HIP) ECU, select Diagnostic Info, select the message, select delete, and select yes.

Also, has anyone tried their "personal calling minutes" with the OnStar system? When I did my girlfriend said that it sounded better than the HFL system with my T610. It wasn't a controlled test though, and my car speed (i.e. background noise) did change between calls. As far as I can tell the OnStar system uses the same microphone as the HFL. If that's true, maybe the BT interface is causing the poor quality, just a guess...

- Lawrence
THANK YOU! You are my hero. I will be about 20 messages lighter tonight!
Old 12-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Quick update on the AcuraLink messages. Dealer told me today the AL messages are a widespread problem and that a fix/update is coming after the first of the year. CS told me the same thing although he said they were not sure when the fix would happen. They expected it soon.

I also learned how to delete the diagnostic messages today so won't post that again.

No one is sure why some are having audio issues with the receiving end of the HFL. Apparently not many are complaining if they are having the issues. So if you are, let CS know via the toll free number. Maybe they need to upgrade the mic or the ones they installed in some are defective. Dealer also told me to make sure volume on audio is turned up while speaking.

A good way to test sound quality on HFL is to make a call on the HFL, transfer to your cell while speaking and ask the listener how it sounds and then transfer back. You cna do this a number of times. This will give a good idea of how sound is on the HFL.

If anyone has any other ideas with the HFL, please post.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:17 PM
fmcgirt

After a couple of calls to CS my AL messages now appear to be coming through fine. The first CS person could not figure out what was wrong but did open a "case" for me and the next day a more technical person called me and said that he had reset everything for my vehicle and he thought it was all fine. Sure enough I got the first message right away followed by a second one this afternoon. I am still unable to set my Communication Prefs on the OwnerLink web site but hopefully that will also get fixed soon.

Frank
Old 12-23-2004, 10:54 PM
8-)

I cleared my diagnostic messages today, the instructions were perfect. I put a copy of the instructions in my manual, I'll never, ever remember them. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:57 PM
8-)

I spoke to an HFL CS person today. He kept telling me it was the phone that was causing the wind noise, but I don't think he really had a clue. He did suggest un-pairing and re-pairing the BT connection. I doubt it will help, but I'll give it a try - I'm desparate at this point.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 8-)
I cleared my diagnostic messages today, the instructions were perfect. I put a copy of the instructions in my manual, I'll never, ever remember them. Thanks.
I did the same thing last night in the garage. I must have gotten rid of about 25 messages! Stuffed the directions right in the glove box for next time.

Larryka, thanks again.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:04 AM
Advanced

You're welcome. I'm glad the instructions worked well for you guys.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:14 AM
Advanced

Hmm...

I received a call from ACS this morning in response to a case that I opened about not receiving AL messages. They said it's a known issue and they will have a "countermeasure part" available in mid-January for the dealer to install. I didn't push to get details on the part though. The representative also confirmed my e-mail address and mailing address to activate my VIN so that when the issue is corrected, the messages will be sent.

We'll see what happens...
Old 01-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Advanced

First AcuraLink messages showed up...

I got into my RL yesterday and I saw an envelope on my nav display, which turned out to be my first couple of AL messages. It looks like someone reset something on the server side. We'll see if they are delivered consistently... I had a feeling the "countermeasure part" that the ACS representative mentioned was bogus.