AcuraLink and Cingular Treo650

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 02:02 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AcuraLink and Cingular Treo650

Has anyone successfully used a Cingular Treo 650 with AcuraLink? I was successful in getting Bluetooth to work for voice, although it is a bit kludgy (no signal strength indicator, and when I try to transfer from the handsfree back to the phone, I can hear the calling party on the phone, but they can't hear me. I have to hang up and call back to reestablish full use of the phone).

However, I have tried multiple dial strings in the setup screen and can't get AcuraLink to connect with the server. I tried Cingular and several other strings, including the dial string on my phone that is used for data access. I have voice, text messaging, and internet data access on my Cingular account.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:09 PM
9th Gear

TL HFL and Treo650

I have an '05 TL and a Cingular Treo 650. Without the patch from Palmone, you will experience various problems using the 650 with the Acura Handsfree Link.

There are many threads on this forum which discuss the compatible phones and their issues in detail. Do a search for more details.

After I applied the CarKit update from the Palmone site and deleted the pairing on my TL and re-paired, I get decent reliability. No signal strength or Battery meter, but I can transfer w/o issue.

I still find that if you attempt to store a number with pauses, commas etc, and attempt to dial/call it, the Treo will reset. I am unable to use it for access of voice mail.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Btw, tomob63 meant, lots of discussion in BT sub-forum of 3GTL. For example. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101692
Old 04-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
drdon, agree is best to do a search. That said, I am successfully using Treo 650 with my RL and works pretty well. Only problems are no signal or battery strength, volume is different between the menu voice and my callers, and occasional resets after I hang up. I got the Palmone patch before I tried anything though. Good luck, I am sure you will solve this.

Joe
Old 04-05-2005, 06:00 AM
7th Gear

Thanks, but it's already patched

Thanks for the suggestions. However, I have been following the threads under TL and RL here, I installed the PalmOne patch before first using the phone, and the problems described above still persist. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Cruisin'

Sprint Treo 650

drdon -

I have the same issues and I have the sprint branded 650. I think what people are not understanding is that you are saying (and I agree) that it works for Hands Free Link, but not for AcuraLink. Since the RL is the only vehicle with AcuraLink, I am not sure why they are referring you to the RL threads.

I think the problem with the 650 and the RL is that when connecting to AcuraLink the RL expects the bluetooth dial up networking profile (as crotius points out in this post: thread), which isn't enabled on the 650. There are some hacks out there to enable DUN, but I haven't successfuly got them to work with the RL.

Not to get off topic, but after trying to get AcuraLink to connect unsuccessfully, I started to wonder what exactly does connecting to AcuraLink via the phone get me? Is there extra messages that will come over from that? Is that how you are supposed to get Maintenance reminders?

Good luck drdon... If I ever successfully get it to work I will let you know!

Ian
Old 04-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are supposed to get maintenance reminders, recall notices, etc and your car is supposed to send diagnostic info to Acura via AcuraLink. However, I am not sure why they made it so tough for most phones to connect. It seems to require a specific BT stack (Widcomm). I have a smartphone with MS's BT stack and I can do dial up with my pocket pc but not the Acura Link. You would think HFL could post a software hack to allow the phones that are not approved by HFL (and there are not many) to allow connection to AcuraLink. I think Acura did not fully explain this requirement when they were selling the car. At least they did not to me.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:29 PM
7th Gear

I just noted that the Acura RL website (http://www.handsfreelink.com/phones.html) now identifies a number of the "approved" phones (and the Treo 650 is NOT on the list) that do NOT work with the AcuraLink diagnostics. So, this doesn't seem to be a problem with just the Treo 650 (whether Sprint or Cingular). Does anyone have an unlocked GSM Treo 650 that works with AcuraLink diagnostics? Is this a problem with the Acura or the phone? Or both?