Acura releasing something unconventional.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Acura releasing something unconventional.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/21/r...nal-next-year/
Old 12-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
hopefully there will be some more info soon
Old 12-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
confused
Old 12-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
To keep this RL-centric, I will add the C&D article quoted by TSX69 in the Automotive News section of our site:

Operative quotes: "Conservative", RL owners are "conservative", and "The market is moving to us". at the last bit.

Thanks TSX69!

The launch of the refreshed Acura RL flagship gave us a chance to drill the company’s executives and PR reps with questions about the car’s successor as well as Acura’s latest plans to bring back something sports-car-like to the lineup. The information firewall was up in full force, so we were left to read between the lines. Following numerous conversations with Acura’s ebullient product chief, Vicki Poponi, and others, this is what we can surmise about the top of Honda’s top line.

The next Acura flagship likely will be called RL, not Legend or anything else terribly evocative, and it most certainly will not have a V-8 (we were told to stop asking). A former chemical engineer, Poponi is a numbers person, and she cites surveys that Acura believes disprove any notion that cylinder count is of real importance to luxury customers. “The market is moving to us,” the Acura folks said, citing increasing demand for higher fuel economy as well as the economic downturn prompting luxury customers to rein in their extravagant ways. We also kept hearing statements such as “Honda is a very conservative company,” and “the RL customer is a conservative customer.”

These hints suggest that the next RL will build upon the improvements made for 2011 in the areas of quietness, safety, and material quality, although the car will probably not feature terribly radical styling, nor will it grow all that much. So it won’t be a Lexus LS fighter but more like an Infiniti M fighter. Given that, we would also be very surprised if the next-gen car doesn’t add 25 to 50 horses so it can at least match the M37’s base output of 330 hp. When will we see the next-gen RL? With the current model’s age—and abysmal sales of about 3000 per year—it can’t come soon enough. Nods and nudges from Acura folks suggest that it will arrive very soon, perhaps within the next 12 to 18 months. We think the RL had better be at least a bit flashy if Acura hopes to get newfound attention from consumers in the brutally competitive $45K–$70K luxury-car segment. In this case, erring on the side of conservative may be an error indeed.

Details were far sketchier regarding additional members of the Acura lineup. We were told that Acura will soon introduce something unconventional sometime around the launch of the new flagship sedan. Will it be sporty? Probably. Will it be called NSX? Who knows. Will it be the front-engine supercar we saw lapping the Nürburgring a couple of years ago? No. Although that car was all but finished, according to Acura insiders, it was cancelled—not even shelved—due to Honda’s concerns that it might be crass to offer a $150K–$175K sports car in the face of worldwide economic hardship. However, much of the technology developed for that car will appear in the new car. Whatever it’s called.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

BTW, Booooooo to no V8. Now THAT would be conservative. Especially an OHV small-block V8. But I've moved past the lack of a V8 and RWD in the next RL. Really, I have. Honestly.

I mean, *sob* really!

Now just bring on the 400 hp hybrid already! I could live with that.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
what does bob think about the Genesis 5.0 huh? sure beats CTS-V mpg rating and is one supercharger away from taking it on directly...or I guess Turbo off the Sonata
Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Perhaps you would find pertinent information on the Genesis on a Hyundai web forum?

And while you are there, perhaps you can turn every topical thread on it's ear by proclaiming the wonders of your most special 09 RRP RL. Even better, why not post pics of it on every thread weather or not it is pertinent to the topic at hand.

That should drum up truckloads of intelligent conversation.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Perhaps you would find pertinent information on the Genesis on a Hyundai web forum?

And while you are there, perhaps you can turn every topical thread on it's ear by proclaiming the wonders of your most special 09 RRP RL. Even better, why not post pics of it on every thread weather or not it is pertinent to the topic at hand.

That should drum up truckloads of intelligent conversation.
Tampa, I have never ever seen you say anything positive. Thanks for being you.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, this conversation has certainly turned unconventional.

Back on topic, I hope the next RL is at least a little unconventional.

And yes, I will mention Dual-Note again. That (especially with north of 300 hp. 400 hp? )and appropriate marketing could move a few more RL units. Here's hoping they show something at the Detroit auto show, which I will be making my yearly pilgrimage to next month.