Acura dealer ripping me off, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Acura dealer ripping me off, what would you do?

Ok so recently my A/C blower just STOPPED blowing hot, cold, air period of any kind out of it and i thought oh 5hit this is going to cost me.

Made an appointment to take the car into Findlay Acura in Henderson, NV... when i took it in i was told the diagnosis would cost me $120 right off the bat (here we go) okay just get it going i want me car fixed. I asked if this was a pretty common problem as i mentioned the stator set issue and my service advisor (Andy) knew nothing about it and said this was not common. I swear no more than 10 minutes later the tech comes out and gives Andy a piece of paper with the issues in list.
Heater blower motor - non opp
Transistor - needs to be replaced
Parts - $570
Labor - $120
grand total - $690
I told them i need to contemplate the money because it wasnt a drop in the bucket but even more that was bugging me was the fact that they knew this within 10 minutes which you knew it had to be a common issue. I came back to Acurazine to find its more common in TL, Ridgelines, and MDX's than the RL and typically the issue is the transistor and not the motor. So i went out to the car to check out what the big deal was, popped the passenger side floor panel off and stuck my head under the glove box to see how hard it would be to order the parts and do it myself. Lordy... i saw that my transistor that used to be held in by 2 screws was missing the screws and hanging there by the wire and plug that went into it, REALLY? they left the thing apart so they could fix it just that much faster the lazy SOB. And to top it off i removed all 3 yes a simple 3 screws to the blower fan dropped it out and benched tested it off a Makita battery and guess what it works fine. So lets see they charge me $120 to diagnose my car improperly, then dont even put it back together all the way and give it back to me, and then want me to allow them to do almost $700 worth of work that really only would take $50 and 5 minutes to fix?

What would you do? Do i have a leg to stand on here to talk to management of any kind to seek some type of i dunno credit of my diagnosis money? or something... ugh im pissed.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
My first thought is how do they know that the fan is bad if the "transistor" is bad. Of course the fan won't work if there is no voltage drive applied to it.
My second thought is that the new motor is just for their profits and yes you are getting ripped. You could speak to the service manager and state that you require proof of the motor being bad and add that on your test it worked fine. Therefore the diagnostic fee was incorrectly appled due to the information being incorrect.
Did you get a document of the diagnosis? If yes, does it have the part numbers of the defective parts?
If yes, then argue your point to get the diagnostic fee back using the threat of exposure, at least to Acura customer service, and then utilize the part number(s) to buy the parts online and fix it yourself. Additional ammunition is that they left your car in a condition other than the one is was in when you gave it to them.
After all is settled and fixed, you just never go to that dealership again.