Acura 100 Month Battery Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Just wanted to provide my experience as a datapoint for everyone.
I have an 06 RL which I bought in Jun 2006. In Feb 2010, the battery tested bad at the dealer and they replaced it free. The past Oct, the battery failed again (exactly 3 years 8 months like the original), I decided to go to local parts store for a replacement since the dealer was 80 miles away. Bought an Autozone battery but it didn't fit because it didn't have a flush filler cap. So I jumped started the car and drove it up to the dealer and they agreed the battery was bad and needed replacement. Since it was past 3 years, I had to pay the prorated price which was $87.XX installed! Before I left, I asked the SA how long is this replacement battery warranty for? I was surprised to hear the clock starts over again!
I didn't need a receipt because my previous replacement was in their system. I just want to say that there are some honest dealers out there that will go out of their way to help a customer out and not stick them for every last dime.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2005 had the first battery replaced under the battery warranty, when the replacement battery went bad the dealer refused to replace it, insisting the warranty started from the in service date of the car and would not pro rate it. So I purchased an aftermarket with better specs.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:49 PM
2007 LSM KB1 Tech w/CMBS

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by wackjum
I don't have any specific experience with application in the MDX and RL, but you should look into the Optima batteries. They are AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) batteries instead of the usual plates floating in acid battery that are common. The main advantage is that the acid is absorbed into a fiber material instead of sloshing around. This means vibrations and temperature stress on the lead plates won't affect them as much. I live in Houston, where the high temperatures kill batteries every 3 years like clockwork. I have a 5 year old Optima that is still running in one of my cars. The warranty is still 3 years on them, but I think at least 5 years is pretty typical for these.

They are expensive though. At least twice the cost of a typical battery.
According to Optima's website, they don't have one to fit an RL. Interstate has this one but for $255, you could buy 3 Deka 634MF batteries that another member suggested. That Interstate is badass, though---800 CCA, AGM, 48 months free replacement.

Last edited by stevieray; 02-14-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what if battery failure was potentially caused by failed alternator?

that's a mechanical possibility, right?

if so, that's my current situation. i should have the receipt for the battery, which was purchased from acura within the last year.

alternator no longer under warranty, btw. i'm getting that fixed somewhere else and probably won't bring it up to acura dealer, but they may notice the brand new alternator.

anyone have experience with this or a similar situation where another non-warrantied part failure may have caused an acura warrantied battery to fail?
Old 01-30-2015, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
When your alternator goes, your battery won't last long, so it is definitely a possibility. Whether or not they catch on to the new alternator depends on how keen the tech is.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:03 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by ovep
that's a mechanical possibility, right?

if so, that's my current situation. i should have the receipt for the battery, which was purchased from acura within the last year.

alternator no longer under warranty, btw. i'm getting that fixed somewhere else and probably won't bring it up to acura dealer, but they may notice the brand new alternator.

anyone have experience with this or a similar situation where another non-warrantied part failure may have caused an acura warrantied battery to fail?
Why even show them the car??? Just take the battery out and bring it to the parts counter with the receipt. If they ask, say the car is dead in your driveway because of this battery. They may test the battery, but if it is indeed shot, then it will be replace on the spot. Simple.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Dusting off an old thread here...

Back in August of 2012 I bought a 2001 V6 Accord EX with 114,000 miles on it, however, I never really paid much attention to the battery which was in it; it looked a bit old and I figured it probably had a year or two left in it before I'd have to replace it. Over the last five years I've wondered when it would quit, but other than that, I ignored it.

Last year I was tooling down the Mass Pike and the battery light came on late on a Friday afternoon while I was en-route between New Hampshire and Manhattan; I managed to drive the car about ten miles to the closest Honda dealership and they slapped in a brand spankin' new alternator (for a whopping $700). The battery didn't seem to miss a tick and charged right back up.

Fast forward to today, as some of you know I bought a new (to me) daily driver back in May, a 2006 Acura TL 6MT, and I parked the Accord waiting for the state of New Hampshire to get me a new duplicate title; my wife and I rearranged our filing system a few years ago and that particular folder is missing; we probably put it someplace where we wouldn't forget where it was. The title came today so I went out to start the old girl up so I could take her down to have her detailed prior to putting her up for sale and wouldn't you know it, the battery was almost dead.

Out came the Acura, on went the jumper cables, and while I was waiting for some charge to get into the Honda's battery I looked at it. Yikes! The battery, billed as a Honda 100 Month unit, had the month and year punch outs set to May of 2008, 110 months ago! Okay, color me impressed.

After reading this thread I'm wondering if the Accord, which doesn't have an HFL or many of the other power draining accessories the TL has, is simply easier on batteries.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:41 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
More than likely the Accord is easier on batteries to be honest... Luxury cars have a lot of active electronics that remain powered even when the car is shut off. Some Mercedes vehicles even have secondary batteries solely to power those "always on" electronics.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Those AGM (spell check that) battery cost like $225 a piece.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
My experience is bit different. While they were handling the recall of the Takata airbags, my car was sitting on the lot for about 3 weeks and the battery died. They replaced it free of charge to me, and I asked at that time, does it carry warranty because I previously got Bosch one to ensure, they confirmed it had a warranty. So yes, they probably consider that as "newly installed battery" but no receipt nothing. The battery I suppose has markings on itself what month it went into service, no?