2nd Impression

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2nd Impression

I received my RL on 14 Oct 04 and have approximately 4,600 miles on – Having posted my first impression I’d like to follow-up with a few, additional, secondary impressions and observations:

Appearance – Although not an immediate head-turner, the car looks good! To me it exudes a sporty, elegant demeanor highlighted by the superb paint job, which enhances its deeply luxurious appearance. Someone pointed out, that the darker colors on the RL look best and I must agree. Mine being of the Opulent Blue Pearl variety tends to accent the chrome trim and makes the grille much more prominent than on the lighter RLs. Although there might be a family resemblance, I personally fail to see the comparison to the Honda Accord as alluded to in some of the auto forums – similarities are no more so than among the other luxury marques such as Audi, BMW and MB.

Non-Owner Comments – I’ve received the most complimentary comments from young people, especially young Asians. However, although not raving about its looks, virtually everyone in my circle of friends and acquaintances gave the car a thumbs-up and commented on how attractive and “good-looking” the car is. The interior, especially the lighting, receives the most accolades – “spectacular” is the most commonly used adjective describing the interior.

Ride – Is firm, taunt, and reminds me somewhat of my 89 Legend Coupe. It’s agile and very responsive - if not attentive, I find myself drifting towards the curb – there is no play in the steering wheel. Yes, I do feel an occasional bump in the road and I get definitive feedback on the quality of the road surface, something I actually want. The RL’s aggressive rake or slope of its hood make the driving appearance somewhat unique – it gives me a feeling of being in a bubble barreling down the highway, almost eerie. I think the weight of the car has much to do with its refinement and overall smooth ride quality.

Performance – It performs strongly! Its passing performance is superb. Punch it while cruising and the acceleration feels turbine like – very exhilarating! Because the car is so refined and quiet, I often find myself “running-up” on cars in front of me without realizing it - necessitating hitting the brakes - stopping power, feels very substantial! When it comes to high-speed cruising, the car is very well mannered, composed, consistent and sure-footed – it instills confidence without being fussy about it. Gas mileage, although not earth shattering is acceptable given the cars weight and AWD configuration – I’m averaging about 19 mpg right now.

Technology – Needless to say, it’s ultra impressive and has, IMHO, no peer! Since there are so many superlatives in this arena – I’ll leave it to others to list them

Comfort – Seats are excellent and interior room is sufficient for my needs. Recently made a 2,000 mile trip and it did not tire me out – very comfortable. I like the storage spaces (especially the hidden one in the glove compartment). Interior fit and finish looks and feels luxurious. Overall ergonomics are fantastic.

Dislikes – Are few indeed. I dislike the shift gate; it does not accommodate smooth lever movement. The rear blind spot is very annoying - maybe its me, but it seems that on a number of occasions, when changing lanes, I almost swerved into cars approaching from my rear. I dislike the reminder “binging” when exiting the car and the headlights are in “auto” mode – why is that? Defeats the purpose of the “Auto” mode. Lack of a power outlet for rear-seat passengers is inexcusable! Although not a major problem for me, I’m somewhat concerned that I can’t out accelerate a TL and barely nip the Honda Accord. For US $50k, I sort of expect to be top dog in the Honda Family and not have my top speed, governor limited to 134 MPH.

Summary – I’m very pleased with my purchase, the RL is an outstanding vehicle and I highly recommend it to anyone.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Thanks for your update. You obviously spend a great deal of time in the car.

I have only had mine for 6 weeks with 1,600 miles.

You have commented on one thing that I have noticed but seen little comment on....visability. Not only is there a much larger blind spot than on my '95 Legend but the aero-dynamic shape of the car makes it hard to judge the location of the front and rear bumpers. You don't see the front fenders because they slope down out of sight. THe tilt down side mirrors when backing up don't help much either. I assume I will get used to judging this after I drive it more [and bump into a few walls when pulling in and out of tight spaces?].

Overall, I still love the car and echo many of your comments.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I will echo the blind spot, but in regard to the front "A" pillar. I cut too sharply into a left turn and almost ran into a car that was simultaneously pulling up to stop. I think the front "A" pillars are too thick and, because of the long angled window can obstruct vision to the front corners. My humble observation. What do you think?

As to the rest of the car, it continues to impress. Consistent, solid driving. I couldn't care less about top speed, if they wanted to have a 90 mph speedo that would be just fine for me. I wouldn't mind a little more punch to 0-60 though. It seems that the RL revs high (>4000 rpms) to move to the next gear when accelerating briskly. Maybe because there is not a lot of commotion, it does not seem to be fast from a stopped start. OTOH, numbers don't lie and others have posted magazine tests of 6.7 sec 0-60. That sounds very good for this car. I will be interested to see what the car comparisons say when the RL goes head-to-head with 530i, A6, CTS, Infinity M, and Mercedes E.

The interior is a pleasure. The nav takes some learning but is, for the most part, logical and well thought-out. The keyless access is awesome, I go into my other car now groping for a keyless start know that isn't there .

Only things I would change:
1. Eliminate rear power curtain - don't think I will use.
2. Turn off the "ding-ding" of the lights (since they can shut off automatically)
3. Turn off the DTRLs in park or give option to turn them off if not desired at any time. No need to run them when you are sitting in a car just staying warm while waiting.
4. Eliminate the "lawyer" page for the Nav, just have the buyer sign something saying that says he will activate the page for any new driver.
5. Slightly smaller owners manual case that fits in the hidden cubby without tearing the cover up each time.
6. A place for garbage.
7. Stitch the door grabs on the reverse. I know this is supposed to look trendy, but it just looks like the stiching is on the wrong side to me.
8. Remote start (you'd think for all the techno WOW this would be a no brainer!
9. FM text. Appartently does CD text if you have the right CD but I have not seen this yet. I would really like if all music (FM, CD, DVD, MP3) would have the song and artist like it does for XM (my preferred listening source now).
Anyway, these are not faults, just my niggles and a suggestion for future RLs!
Old 12-14-2004, 07:32 PM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by legendguy
I will echo the blind spot, but in regard to the front "A" pillar. I cut too sharply into a left turn and almost ran into a car that was simultaneously pulling up to stop. I think the front "A" pillars are too thick and, because of the long angled window can obstruct vision to the front corners. My humble observation. What do you think?
Funny timing, I made the same observation tonight. I had to take a hard look at the A pillar after being blind spotted just a bit too long while turning at an intersection. It looks like the A pillar is an inch or two wider than that on my Mazda. Ultimately, I think it's just a matter of knowing it's there, then compensating. I think the compensating will happen without any conscious thought after enough time behind the RL's wheel. At least I hope so!
Old 12-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice reviews guys
Old 12-14-2004, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Hmmm...I've not noticed the "A" pillar nuance...yet. I'll check it out and share my views on that.

The rear power curtain has come in handy if for nothing else other than to send a message to the guy in the SUV behind you that his lights are annoying.

Hahahaha...you know, I thought the stichtes on the door grabs were reversed too, until an individual, who has a reputation for impecable taste, pointed out that is was a deliberate design effort to make it look elegant - yeah, right!

Yes, a garbage container would be a neat addition.

I'm really enjoying the RL and I agree with you, it continues to impress...
Old 12-14-2004, 10:05 PM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotgun
Hmmm...I've not noticed the "A" pillar nuance...yet. I'll check it out and share my views on that.
If you haven't been bothered by it, don't go looking for it!
Old 12-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8-)
If you haven't been bothered by it, don't go looking for it!

You know, that's excellent advice - Thanks my brother...
Old 12-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Visibility is quite good in the RL, especially compared to certain ahem, domestic vehicles.

OTOH, I think those of us with earlier Acuras and Hondas were truly spoiled in this aspect, Honda for years has had this almost fetish for superb visibility in its vehicles. Low beltline, lots of glass and thin A, B and C pillars and a VERY low hood. Recent changes are only because of very strict safety standards.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Visibility is quite good in the RL, especially compared to certain ahem, domestic vehicles.

OTOH, I think those of us with earlier Acuras and Hondas were truly spoiled in this aspect, Honda for years has had this almost fetish for superb visibility in its vehicles. Low beltline, lots of glass and thin A, B and C pillars and a VERY low hood. Recent changes are only because of very strict safety standards.

With regards to the A-pillars, the increase in the size is mostly a result of the airbags that are now installed there. This significantly increases the thickness of those pillars, but you get used to it.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ken1997TL

Good point, the difference is noticed because of being previously spoiled as you point out. And as CGTSX2004 points out, just have to get used to it. Would be ironic, however, if the air bag activated in a situation where its additional width requirement was the critical difference in avoiding the accident in the first place.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by legendguy
Would be ironic, however, if the air bag activated in a situation where its additional width requirement was the critical difference in avoiding the accident in the first place.
Ironic indeed...
Old 12-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
After 700 miles, I agree completely with Shotgun's comments... although not necessarily the one about the darker colors. It looks great in all colors, but I'm partial to Celestial Silver!

Rear quarter visibility is actually worse than my FX, which really surprised me. I also wish Acura had made the console large enough to properly fit the cases for DVD-A discs (like the TL). Otherwise, this car is a total winner. And I also enjoy using the rear curtain to block out headlights... and people following too close!
Old 12-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Good review.

The blind spot seems common for these big cars, even new TL, sooner or later carmakers would start to add more safety camera or sensors to help with.