2nd Gen RL Headlights Cleared DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen RL Headlights Cleared DIY

I search forever to find out more info on clearing my Headlights with no luck. I bought my 2005 at the end of September less than a month and a half ago. So far I have installed a Dice ipod interface, R1 Concepts top of the line Premium Cross Drilled and diamond slotted rotors and new ceramic pad. I also did a custom paint job on the rotors. Bought 18" Vortex wheels that were stated to "Fit" my car RL, they didn't, so I had to drop $300 bucks more for 14mm hub centric/wheel centric (the only way to run spacers), because they wanted me to pay for shipping both ways. The wheels are good, the company sux, and I could have had 20"s for the price of these 18" and the spacers. Yeah, I'm a little bitter. Installed a factory spoiler. Today I cleared the headlights and I love the results. I can't believe that there isn't somewhere aftermarket that you could buy the clear JDM corners, but it looks pretty damn good without them. Here's how to do it:
First remove the bumper, there is a screw in the wheelwell that is hard to find: (I'm a "noob" so I'm not sure how to post up pictures, so I'm going to post and try to figure it out from there)
Old 11-16-2008, 08:48 PM
10th Gear

Help!

Yes, I posted these smiles on myself. I don't have a "manage attachments" option under my message box as explained in the FAQ. Maybe it's because I'm new here as I don't have privilages others do. Well if anyone can help me out with this problem, I'd be happy to help out others. If not, sorry, I tried.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
WOW! I have to see this. If it looks really good without the JDM headlights, here goes 2000$ in savings!
P.S. Email

shawnfortune@hotmail.com and I will upload them for you!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Racer

yes yes... WHERE ARE THE PICS?!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
If you guys want, I have a contact in Japan that's willing to ship an used JDM headlight set from Yahoo Auctions Japan to US for $1250 USD.

Let me know and I can tell him to ship it to you
Old 11-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Advanced

I'm curious to see how they came out Troughttdawg..Any luck posting pics or do you have a step by step procedure? I did this on my civic a few years ago and it was time consuming and required lots of patience with the outer housing..It's way too expensive though to experiment on an rl headlight! #1
Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Post images on a photo website such as flkr and then use [img] URL [/img] tage to place in your post
Old 11-17-2008, 12:01 PM
10th Gear

Hey guys, I'll work on it tonight. I am going to do my best on step-by-step instructions. If worse comes to worse, I will send them to Shawn for him to uploadl
Old 11-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Sounds good Trouttdawg..I think everyone is looking forward to see them..How long did it take you?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:17 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

damn trout you have me getting impatient
Old 11-18-2008, 12:57 AM
10th Gear

As promised, here you guys go! There is instructions with several of the pictures. The steps aren't in order with the pictures, but start at 1 and you'll get it. I'm sorry I didn't take more pictures, but the instructions are pretty good. So, what do you all think? http://www.flickr.com/photos/32517011@N05/
Thanks for the FLICKR hook up too! Enjoy!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 171 Posts
That came out clean. Good job. You should of add some angel eyes while you were at it.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:47 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Wink Here it go for ya...OP Congratulations!!

You saved a bunch of us money on the JDM lights I am tackling this hopefully tommorow morning.
Step 1

Step 1: You'll need to pull off the plastic piece in the engine compartment that covers the radiator, a couple of the plastic tabs keep the grille in place and you'll have to get behind it to take the screws out that hold the lights in. You'll Pictured is the hard to find screw to get bumper off (1 on each side). There is 4 - 10mm bolts on the underside of the bumper that you have to remove, then pull out all of the plastic tabs. Don't remove the allen wrench screws. Start from this corner, where I am unscrewing this screw and pull bumper outwards gently. It will begin to pop off and continue all the way around the front of the car.

Step 2

Step 2: unplug these 2 plugs from the bumper and there is 1 more on the other side. That's it. the bumper is off. Takes about 10 minutes. Pull off the styrofoam off that is under the bumper cover as well.

Step 3

Step 3: This is looking left into the engine with that cover off that I told you about. This is the back screw to the headlight assembly on the left side.

Step 4

Step 4: remove this screw tucked behind the battery. It's a bitch to get to, but you shouldn't have to remove the battery. This is looking right into the engine compartment, the back screw to the right (drivers) headlight.

Step 5

Step 5: Unscrew this screw on both sides. Also unscrew the black screw right above it in this picture. It's the front screw to the quarter panels and it will give you a bit more wiggle room.

Step 6

Step 6: Unscrew this screw on each side. You'll need a socket extention.

Step 7

Step 7: Remove this screw on both sides and the light will pull out. Then unplugs all the plugs. They are all different sizes, so re-installation is simple.

Step 8

Step 8: Remove cover for the HID Light compartment. You will see the the motor for the headlight turner. There are 4 big bolts, including one that holds down the HID light cable. Twist the plug that is connect to the headlight motor and pull it all out. Again, this is pretty straight forward once you start taking it apart. Take all of the bulbs out that are accessible at this point. There is another little control unit that I thought was a bulb, but I'm not certain what it does. It has a little tan cone shaped piece of plastic. You don't have to remove it.

Step 9

Step 9: Here is the ballast for the HID light. You will need to unplug it. Pull up the rubber seal to get to the plug, then slip in a flathead screwdriver to unlock the plug. You will then need to CAREFULLY pull out the HID bulb. Never touch any of the bulbs with bare hands.

Step 10

Step 10: Make sure you have removed all of these mechanics before you bake the housing. You will see an amber bulb that I was considering using. I went back to the stock clear, because the orange showed up too much. I installed Chromed amber bulbs for the blinkers. Now its time to put a towel on a cookie sheet and put your headlight housing on the towel. Insert the headlight into the oven at 250 degrees for 5 minutes. Take it out, turn the headlight over and go another 5 minutes. Take the light out and use a flathead to pull up the tabs they will be fairly piable. Work in the flathead in between the clear plastic and the black plastic until it begins to separated and the tabs are cleared. You will need to work fast and the assembly shouldn't be too hot to work with bare hands. It is easiest to start at the pointy coner that would be closest to the grill. Start getting that part separtate, make sure all the other tabs have been lifted with the housing slightly separated at each tab, and pull apart. This will take some muscle.

Step 11

Tuck in any stringy pieces of the black adhesive. Don't remove this stuff. It is very high quality, although you'll want to add some PERMATEX BLACK SILICONE SEALANT prior to putting the housing back together. Now unscrew the 2 screws holding the clear lens and the inside together. Pop it out and use a small flathead tto pop the top corner of the larger side of the orange lens out. Once that corner is easily popped out, the entire orange lens wiggles right out. Wipe down any finger prints and reattach these 2 pieces. Use the PERMATEX BLACK SILICONE SEALANT all the way around the black side of the housing and put your housing back together as tight as you can. Put the entire housing back in the oven at 250 for about 7 minutes or until you can fully get the tabs to re-seat. I used piers to squeeze the housing and lens together. You will want to take your time doing this, even putting the lens back in the oven if you can't get it to tighten up. I didn't have any, but if you had any gaps that weren't there before you started, you would want to seal those up with the PERMATEX BLACK SILICONE SEALANT to waterproof it.

Without the Lights

Finished

I think I would get a blue bulb before I tackle this objective. Nice Job once again OP
Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Advanced

That looks incredible!! Nice job man!!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Advanced

I think this is a good project for the thanksgiving weekend coming up..That way you have an extra day to play with it in case something goes wrong. I think adding the angel eyes while it's already open is probably a good way to go!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:08 PM
unofficial HONDA rep

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does anyone think it's possible to color match the amber lens with the car's color but while keeping the light's usability?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
and you changed the lights to eliminate the safety feature of the amber turn signals from being seen from the sides or do you prefer the look of the simpler light assembly?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Advanced

I used to buy this spray paint that came in candy apple red and allowed lights to shine through the lense. I used it to modify taillights on a civic..I'm sure they make it in different colors
Old 11-18-2008, 05:39 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty cool. This exact same process is used to 'clear' the headlights on the CL. One thing I've read about is that the headlights are not always completely sealed back up and will get condensation in them later so I'd probably do what some of those guys have done and re-heat the headlights then use some clamps to press and hold the headlights together while the silicon re-seals.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Looks NICE!

Thank you so much for the pictures! That RL overall defines "clean" as well.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:46 AM
10th Gear

Hey guys, I am not nor do I claim to be a professional mechanic. I wrench on things on the weekends and that is the extent of it. I have done 2 other sets of headlights in the past on Subarus without any problems, but NOTHING as high tech as these lights. I'm sure this goes without saying, but please do this at your own risk.

That being said, when I was driving home last night both of my HID's began to flicker ever so slightly, but after I hit a bump, they stopped. Also, my stereo was cutting in and out, but my navigation was working fine and this morning I couldn't roll any of my windows up with the driver window controller, except the drivers window. Which leads me to be leave it is a loose wire. I'm going to try to make sure my battery cables are tightened up, my fuses are all good, and no wires were pinched when I put the healights in. I don't believe it is the ballast, because when you have a problem with the ballast, only one light would be affected not both. I'm confident it is something easy. There are a ton of wires hooked up to the battery and if it is loose at all, it will screw things up. I'll get back to you all as soon as I can.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Advanced

Sorry 2 hear that man..Hopefully it's nothing major..Good luck
Old 11-19-2008, 10:21 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Here are Some MOre Pics from Trout

See the pyramid is no longer there....That is what I was stating in the other thread.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Question: What kind of bulb can you use in replacement for the old bulb? I was thinking about getting blue.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:39 PM
10th Gear

Hey Shawn I tried to find some other color options with no luck. So I posted that I was having some electrical problems, but it ended up being my posititive battery cable that needed to be tightened up more. Everythings perfect now. And it looks SO much friggin better!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazing GT
Question: What kind of bulb can you use in replacement for the old bulb? I was thinking about getting blue.
I think you can use the led bulb.
Looks nice btw
Old 11-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Racer

I'm wondering if the lower part(turn signal) also removeable?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Cosmetic appeal aside, how does that corner marker light shine at night? Without the prism to diffuse the light, how does it look? The LEGEND light assembly does not omit the prism, it is just clear as the amber color is US / NA traffic code standard.

And just a word of caution, modifying these, especially removing the prism light diffuser MAY be an issue for traffic code, particularly in states where auto inspections are enforced.

Nice work nonetheless, I confess I am nowhere as courageous to disassemble so much from my car. My palms got sweaty just looking at those pics!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:42 AM
10th Gear

Hey guys, thanks for all the high remarks. TampaRL I'll try to get some night shots for everyone. I love the way it looks at night, it's not too bright and since you do have some different shapes still left (not just one solid chrome piece) you still get some diffusion. It is definitely not too bright. I'll try to get some better shots of the overall vehicle. I don't like the look of the Yoko Avid all season tires and I should have gone 1" smaller on them. There is too much rubber around the rims for me. Anyone running 235/45/18's?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:49 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Yeah your tires are too big. You just need to lower that baby man!
Def. some night pictures also

Fan, do you know where I could get the bulbs?
I did this mod on the TL and it looks alot more complicated
Old 11-20-2008, 01:34 PM
10th Gear

Guys, one more HUGE thing. The piece with the tan cone that I said you wouldn't have to take out...take it out! It is your leveling assembly. You will have to take it out gently. Wiggle it because it can only come out one way as it is inside a little slot. YOU MUST PUT IT BACK IN PRIOR TO PUTTING YOUR LENS HOUSING BACK TOGETHER OR YOU WILL NEVER GET IT BACK IN.
Shawn can you upload this to the instructions?
Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND! haha

Originally Posted by Trouttdawg
Guys, one more HUGE thing. The piece with the tan cone that I said you wouldn't have to take out...take it out! It is your leveling assembly. You will have to take it out gently. Wiggle it because it can only come out one way as it is inside a little slot. YOU MUST PUT IT BACK IN PRIOR TO PUTTING YOUR LENS HOUSING BACK TOGETHER OR YOU WILL NEVER GET IT BACK IN.
Shawn can you upload this to the instructions?

Step 8: Remove cover for the HID Light compartment. You will see the the motor for the headlight turner. There are 4 big bolts, including one that holds down the HID light cable. Twist the plug that is connect to the headlight motor and pull it all out. Again, this is pretty straight forward once you start taking it apart. Take all of the bulbs out that are accessible at this point. There is another little control unit that I thought was a bulb, but I'm not certain what it does. It has a little tan cone shaped piece of plastic. You don't have to remove it.

Ok guys according to trout, in step 8 PLEASE REMOVE THE TAN CONE
Old 11-21-2008, 09:53 AM
10th Gear

Thanks Shawn but I think I may have confused you. The piece that the tan cone is attached to will look like and come out exactly like the lightbulbs. Take out the entire unit, not just the tan cone, and remember to put it back in prior to sealing up the headlight housing.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
Fan, do you know where I could get the bulbs?
I did this mod on the TL and it looks alot more complicated
I got mine from here : http://www.superbrightleds.com
They are great, still bright and not flickering.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Advanced

Hey guys I just cleared my headlights thanks to Troutts directions..I also installed the angel eyes whish easier than expected so far there are no fogging issues but it did take me a full day to do this project..The headlights barely fit in my oven!! I was only able to take pics with my cell phone so hopefully I'll post pics within the next couple of days..This is a time consuming process so anyone thinking of it plan ahead and dont plan on driving that day. The hardest part for me was the removal of the bumper and reinstalling one of the headlights that just didnt want go in easily but overall I'm impressed with the way they came out..I havent tested the angel eyes at night yet but they seem pretty bright.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:38 PM
10th Gear

Nice Juan. Looking forward to seeing it with the angel eyes. Yeah, getting my driver side light back in was a P.I.T.A. You gotta hold your mouth just friggin right... Post 'em when you get 'em.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Hey Guys I finally have 3 pics to put up..but I dont know how to post them..Can I email them to someone?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

shawnfortune@hotmail.com or you can use photobucket and upload them from there
Old 12-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Advanced

All sent Shawn!!

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen RL Headlights Cleared DIY