2006 RL Tranny started whining last week - worse now

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
for sure you are right... I always shop for deals like that, you dont always get the exact color you want and there may be dings/scratches but who cares haha.

back to your ride, have you tried driving it after a battery reset and a trans service/3x3 or did you just give up?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I lost 4th and 5th while traveling in Canada. While on the highway, on cruise control, all of a sudden she automatically dropped into 3rd gear. The next day, all the sensors went haywire and the "D" started blinking and I had no reverse. It also threw P0766 code - no reverse.

Luckily, 1-2-3 still sort of worked so I was able to drive to the Honda dealer (no Acura for 120 or so miles) who looked at it, and told me to take it to Jensen's transmission shop - they (Honda dealer) were a little daunted by the task I guess.

Luckily, the tranny shop said $2800 - The Acura dealership I called wanted $4200.

So to answer your question, the tranny went south - it was no longer just a whine as the start of this thread indicates.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Yea I followed that crazy (and lucky) chain of events... just curious if something actually let go or if its sensor/electrical.

Either way good luck with the fix.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Instructor

I'm going to find out later today what let go inside the tranny - I'll post back what they find.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

that would be great!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles - 187k on a transmission is pretty darn good, so can't complain too much there

Hopefully this shop has a good reputation (did you Google them?) and they can take care of the issue. These transmissions are very complicated and everything needs to be done 100% right. My local Acura dealer in CT won't even touch rebuilding a transmission because of all the potential issues that could arise.

I think another option to consider is simply getting a higher mileage RL (100k or so) to hold you over for the time being if this doesn't work out. I realize the shop has already torn into the car at this point, but hopefully you will be up in that area for a while to put the transmission through its paces.

Sorry to hear! The RL is a solid vehicle for the most part.

Chris
Old 07-25-2014, 07:27 AM
Instructor

Hi Chris,

I agree - yes the shop is reputable and has been a member of ATRA since 1989. I'm very comfortable with them thus far. I'll be hearing this morning about what exactly went wrong in the tranny.

My local dealer would do the tranny for $4200.00. That's just too steep. I'm almost happier to have transmission experts who do tranny's day in day out work on it. I'm sure there's not much experience at the stealership with RL tranny's in any event.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Wow,
This is similar to the spot i was in shortly after buying my '05 RL. Had a whistle and dealership put microphones all over the car to determine where the noise was coming from and ended up being the transmission -- which was replaced by mostly Acura Care client services with a bit of help from me - very glad to have had it replaced now though. Yikes!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:40 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Any update, are you back in business?

Chris
Old 07-29-2014, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Lol, was just going to provide one :>)

So I'm told a bearing basically bit the dust (almost literally) and deposited shrapnel into various orifices of the tranny effectively choking R, 4th and 5th gears. The tech told me a lot more, and I'm going to get a write up from him and post back.

They also said the case had a crack in it and couldn't rebuild using IT. So we had to get a used one and he'd rebuild that. Fun Fun.

So if you ever hear a whine, and it's not the propeller shaft or the rear diff, get ready to swap that tranny for somewhere between $2500-$3000 (normal tranny shop) and $4200 (dealer).
Old 10-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
I have a whine in my transmission. It is extremely annoying between 40-45 mph. Below and above that speed and up to @70mph there is no noise. 70mph and above I can hear the whine but it barely noticeable. Keep in mind that I only have the noise under very light load and throttle. I doubt my transmission is about to fail but the noise is driving me crazy. I just recently bought this car and I have basically changed everything that it needed. Tires, rims, brakes, fluids, filters, t-belt, plugs, etc. I work for a Honda dealer and bought it at the auction. The noise is making me hate the car. I love everything about it except for the noise. I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe replace the transmission but replacing a transmission that is working perfectly besides the noise is hard for me to swallow.

Last edited by beekermartin; 10-11-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by beekermartin
I have a whine in my transmission. It is extremely annoying between 40-45 mph. Below and above that speed and up to @70mph there is no noise. 70mph and above I can hear the whine but it barely noticeable. Keep in mind that I only have the noise under very light load and throttle. I doubt my transmission is about to fail but the noise is driving me crazy. I just recently bought this car and I have basically changed everything that it needed. Tires, rims, brakes, fluids, filters, t-belt, plugs, etc. I work for a Honda dealer and bought it at the auction. The noise is making me hate the car. I love everything about it except for the noise. I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe replace the transmission but replacing a transmission that is working perfectly besides the noise is hard for me to swallow.
There's a chance that it's your rear propeller shaft - the way to test that is to remove it. You can still drive the car effectively giving you a front wheel drive car. See if the noise goes away. If not, it's probably the tranny.

FWIW, from when the noise started to when my tranny blew up was about 8 or so weeks and about 7500 miles (all highway).

The Acura stealership had isolated my noise to the tranny ruling out the other components - you can probably do that for $100 or so diagnostic fee.

Another potential option is to replace the transmission fluid and do a 3x3 change with something upgraded. I was going to do AMSOIL Signature series ATFQT but have been waiting until my used tranny is out of warranty.

hth!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Pro

I already have driven it on a lift. The noise I have is coming from the transmission. I have already changed the transmission fluid once using Honda ATF. The noise I have is only at certain speeds and only under very light throttle and load. It could be bearing noise but I believe it is the final drive gear making the noise. Which, if I am correct, means it won't fail anytime soon. Sometimes gears can make noise as they age. The tooth pattern can wear in such a way that it makes a noise under certain conditions. I do plan on changing the transmission fluid again at my next oil change. I doubt that will have any effect on the noise but it can't hurt to try it. I don't know about trying another brand of fluid. Honda transmissions are usually very picky about the fluid that is used.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Your story sounds a lot like mine.....don't let the fact that everything shifts properly lull you into a false sense of security - I pray I'm wrong. I will WARN you though - my car shifted fine right up until it croaked - and I drive almost all highway miles in top gear. There was zero evidence that it was going to fail (other than the noise/whine). My experience tells me that you should put away 3-4K just in case.....

There's a lot of info on these boards about different oils - ultimately most people are sufficiently convinced to continue using Honda oil - but Honda had changed the oil required which should breathe a sign of relief for trying something different.

Everything I've read about AMSOIL and other anecdotal stories from folks tell me to give it a try.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Pro

Thanks for the information kingofbytes. I am concerned about it. I am prepared to replace the transmission if it comes to that. Luckily I work for a Honda dealer so I can get the labor done cheap enough. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Instructor

I hope you're right - FYI When my transmission blew (and I only had gears 1-2-3), I HAD to go to a Honda dealer as the closest Acura dealer was about 100 miles away. The Honda dealer looked at it and absolutely positively disavowed any knowledge of fixing it and referred my 1 mile away to a local transmission shop.

Sounds like you have connections, but let me tell you that the Honda dealer I had to go to balked at the repair and punted.....
Old 10-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by kingofbytes
I hope you're right - FYI When my transmission blew (and I only had gears 1-2-3), I HAD to go to a Honda dealer as the closest Acura dealer was about 100 miles away. The Honda dealer looked at it and absolutely positively disavowed any knowledge of fixing it and referred my 1 mile away to a local transmission shop.

Sounds like you have connections, but let me tell you that the Honda dealer I had to go to balked at the repair and punted.....
I imagine most Honda dealers would not want to do it. The RL is unique. I imagine a capable tech can do the job but since the RL is so different than most Honda/Acura vehicles I can see why a Honda dealer might pass.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Most techs only take work they can turn quickly, RL trans work is not on that list.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:43 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blaser
if we are discussing repeated problem, my 2008 RL had the Driveshaft problem in 2009, was replaced 30K mils on the car, now 60K miles was replaced again.
I had this on my '08 RL at 25K this winter. Now I know what the exact issue is thanks to that youtube video. I have AcuraCare so this should be fully covered under warranty right?

Do I try to tell them this over the summer or do I have to wait for the winter when it's cold enough for the sound to be heard again?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Pro

I see this thread is back up so I figured I would give an update on my transmission. I have changed the transmission fluid, drain and fill 2.5 quarts, every oil change since last year. I have put @20,000 miles on it since then. The noise has not gotten any worse. I can still hear it while cruising under a light load between 40-45 mph. On the highway the Michelin AS-3s have gotten noisy with 20k on them so I can't hear the transmission whine.

Anyway, my transmission noise hasn't gotten any worse over 20k. Hopefully it hold ups for much longer. I now have 126,750 miles on it.