2006 80k or 2005 150k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 02:03 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 80k or 2005 150k miles?

Hello all! have been keeping an eye on these forums for a while now, but finally registered to ask your opinion on a potential purchase between two RL's I am considering.
Option A:
2006 w/ tech package, 80k miles, second owner, graphite gray with the tan interior. Looks fantastic in and out, however, it is 11 years old and still has not had the timing belt changed. He said he was told to wait until the car his 100k miles. He updated wheels and tires. The seller is asking $7k and is firm on his price. Is this a good deal? I was wondering about the overall reliability of something with 80k miles. Will I end up saving money in the long run over option B as it is also a year newer?
Obtion B:
2005, silver w/ black interior. Updated wheels and tires. My concern with this car was the mileage at 150k. He is asking $4500 but is negotiable. It is obviously not as nice as option A, but still looks good for its age.
Is it worth the extra ~$3000 or so for the lower mileage, newer car with the tech pack? Or are both of these cars reliable if maintained where I shouldn't have to worry about things breaking all of the time. I can't find anything that compares to an RL with a $7k budget. If anybody has any other recommendations, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Old 08-24-2017, 04:53 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Either way you're going to have to sink in more money for repairs/maintenance/ preventative maintenance. Me personally, I would go for the Option A if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Why choose an RL? Are you open to other cars? With a $7K budget, whatever car you are buying, will need some TLC. It's gonna be hard to find a great car for $7K (if that is your budget)
Old 08-24-2017, 06:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
at 18 are you just looking for reliable transportation? are you shopping to a budget? If so this will be a good buy for the money but keep in mind some parts can be expensive, theres not much modifying and its thirsty. I hope your also not at the top of your budget that timing belt WP will be anywhere between 600-2000 depending where you live, baselining the car and any other items you need to throw at it add up quick.

to your specific question lower miles with records is always better and 2005 is 1st year of this platform so it has some more quirks. I would go with option 1 but again goes back to your budget and intent. i think theres a known issues thread id suggest reading that and which ever path you go you get a comprehensive PPI performed before purchase
Old 08-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
I would not go for either of these two regardless of pricing and here is why:

Option #1:
A) Considering lower miles, do expect to do some maintenance very soon (timing belt immediate investment, suspension parts and engine mounts within 30-40k). This will be added cost (3-5k at the indy shop with you buying parts)
B) Tech package - was it de-paxed? IF it has run-flats, run from that option as far as you can... it will cost you to pay set of tires $2000 or more... to depax them the cost will be the same.

Option #2:
A) Same as above (option #1, A) - plus added maintenance you cannot foresee immediately. +1 on quirks due to first year of model release

My suggestion: if you want reliable transportation for that kind of price, look for:
Civic, Accord, etc. (preferably 4cyl engine with timing chain - check 2.4L one)...
This will RUN for the money like no other car... Once you have more funds, than consider stepping into upper echalon of Honda - for more money you will definitely get more... at least that's my 2 pennies
Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
I agree with RL05. I would continue to look for a better deal.
The following users liked this post:
rlx015 (08-24-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not dead set on the RL. It is a very nice car for
its age but I do understand it must be maintained. I was actually going to go look at a 2008 accord coupe V6. $6,500, 100k miles. However, I am actually more concerned about the reliability of that then an Acura RL?? Is this unreasonable? The owner has service records, timing belt has been changed and new Michelin tires. Anything to look out for on these Accord coupe's? Thanks for the detailed answers, I appreciate it.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rldrivr
I am not dead set on the RL. It is a very nice car for
its age but I do understand it must be maintained. I was actually going to go look at a 2008 accord coupe V6. $6,500, 100k miles. However, I am actually more concerned about the reliability of that then an Acura RL?? Is this unreasonable? The owner has service records, timing belt has been changed and new Michelin tires. Anything to look out for on these Accord coupe's? Thanks for the detailed answers, I appreciate it.
I think "detailed answers" can be found during the process of the researching online on both cars, and then applying your so far knowledge and then asking questions you would like opinions on.

My opinion on 08 Honda Accord coupe V6 with 100k, new timing belt, new tires... same applies... engine mounts in 20-30k, suspension in 20-30k, other than that you should be fine.
Not sure what details you are looking for because no one will do the homework dissertation on this topic and serve it on a silver platter.