2005 RL - Odd wire configuration in Trunk, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 RL - Odd wire configuration in Trunk, need help

Hey guys, I was just working on installing my sub in my 05 RL and noticed some very weird pig-tail connections, a connector that wasn't even connected, and duct tape instead of electrical tape or shrink wrap and was hoping someone may know what is being interfaced/what's even going on/can I take advantage of it? I'll post pictures below and maybe someone knows what's going on....

This is what's connected to the Alpine unit and it didn't seem quite right

This is just dangling from the Alpine unit

This thick bundle of wires that's spliced off runs all the way to the front of the cabin I believe

The duct tape is what caught me off guard

Imnot sure what's going on here

If you can see the thicker black wire, that's the one I'm confused about

Here's the bundle running lose through the trunk and into the cabin

Old 03-06-2018, 12:08 PM
Cruisin'

Okay, I had mistakenly thought the USA-Spec adapter connected to the rear of the head unit, but it seems that the "thicker wire" is actually the USA-Spec Aux adapter. That still doesn't answer what's up with some of the other wiring (around the Alpine DVD especially) nor why my USA-Spec adapter only works in CD mode rather than XM, but I guess I answered a couple of my own questions.

Anyone have input? Thanks
Old 03-06-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
I was going to guess based on your post that you're trying to connect a USA Spec unit since it looks to me like what's pictured is the XM module.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by projektvertx
I was going to guess based on your post that you're trying to connect a USA Spec unit since it looks to me like what's pictured is the XM module.
Yeah, I had figured that out after I had posted that that's what is connected (previous owner had installed it), the thing that I'm confused about now is the one plug behind the Alpine DVD unit that's disconnected. It's an 05, but I believe the DVD player was manufactured in May of 2005, could that possibly mean the previous owner changed it to an 06 DVD unit? Or would it just depend on when my car "rolled off the line".. I'm only curious because it seems if it is an 06 DVD module, I'd be able to add a rear camera much easier..
Old 03-06-2018, 06:41 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Phreys

Yeah, I had figured that out after I had posted that that's what is connected (previous owner had installed it), the thing that I'm confused about now is the one plug behind the Alpine DVD unit that's disconnected. It's an 05, but I believe the DVD player was manufactured in May of 2005, could that possibly mean the previous owner changed it to an 06 DVD unit? Or would it just depend on when my car "rolled off the line".. I'm only curious because it seems if it is an 06 DVD module, I'd be able to add a rear camera much easier..
I don't think the '06's would begin their production run until August-September-ish if they operate on the same production schedule as I'm used to... Do you know what your car's manufacture month is? It should say it on the VIN sticker.

Mine is an '07 but it was manufactured in 11/06 and the in-service date (for warranty coverage) was 12/22/06 (based on records given to me)
Old 03-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by projektvertx
I don't think the '06's would begin their production run until August-September-ish if they operate on the same production schedule as I'm used to... Do you know what your car's manufacture month is? It should say it on the VIN sticker.

Mine is an '07 but it was manufactured in 11/06 and the in-service date (for warranty coverage) was 12/22/06 (based on records given to me)
I’ll have to check the manufacture date, I figured the vin sticker would be in the door sill, but I couldn’t find it where I thought it would be. I guess the thing I’m wondering about now is the loose plug in the 2nd picture.

Thanks for your help though!
Old 03-07-2018, 09:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
If it connect to the DVD drive I can only think of 1, its after market wiring harness for external video source or some kind of interface module with the navi screen. I have Naviks module and the wiring seem look like this one but mine has more since I bought the phone mirroring option. May be the previous owner took the module before trade in/ selling the car?
Old 03-08-2018, 09:29 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by truonghthe
If it connect to the DVD drive I can only think of 1, its after market wiring harness for external video source or some kind of interface module with the navi screen. I have Naviks module and the wiring seem look like this one but mine has more since I bought the phone mirroring option. May be the previous owner took the module before trade in/ selling the car?
Thats possible, I kinda wish they had left it because I’m searching for one now. He had it wired for subs which I finally got around to hooking up my amp and sub, and the USA-Spec adapter was also still in there so It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he did have a Naviks or whatever unit installed. Where is the common “installation" location for the module? Right behind the DVD player or somewhere in the cabin that I may not have looked for yet?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2018, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by Phreys

Thats possible, I kinda wish they had left it because I’m searching for one now. He had it wired for subs which I finally got around to hooking up my amp and sub, and the USA-Spec adapter was also still in there so It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he did have a Naviks or whatever unit installed. Where is the common “installation" location for the module? Right behind the DVD player or somewhere in the cabin that I may not have looked for yet?

Thanks

The common location for the module is around the DVD drive. As far as for the interface any company will do EXCEPT for Navtools lmfao, just look and see why they got banned from all the internet car forum lol.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:30 PM
BANNED

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
The common location for the module is around the DVD drive. As far as for the interface any company will do EXCEPT for Navtools lmfao, just look and see why they got banned from all the internet car forum lol.
after i've been had by naviks, i've done extensive research on navtool, and they never got banned, they never continued their advertising agreement with internet brands, owners of this forums. dont read what trolls post, read what moderators post