2005 RL - knuckle rubbing strut cylinder

Old 07-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 RL - knuckle rubbing strut cylinder

It's been making noise when turning left, and yesterday I discovered that the left front knuckle is binding against the strut. When the wheels are turned left, the strut sort of jumps back as the knuckle moves forward.

I removed both front wheels and compared parts to try to figure out what's wrong and noticed that the downward angle of the upper arm on the left side is much greater than the right side. But, otherwise, the parts looks the same. In other words, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the left side that could be causing this.

I did replace the strut on this side in April with a KYB 340056 strut, but my research indicated that this is the correct one.

The only way I can see to reduce the angle on the left upper arm, thus moving the knuckle outward, is to shorten the length of the strut. But, since the strut looks fine, and is the correct one for this vehicle, that is impracticable.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Intermediate

Solved.

Went out and observed about 1" clearance between knuckle and strut cylinder with wheels on ground. So, my original concern, when the wheels were off the ground, has been resolved.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Getterdun
Solved.

Went out and observed about 1" clearance between knuckle and strut cylinder with wheels on ground. So, my original concern, when the wheels were off the ground, has been resolved.
Glad it was solved, thanks for the follow up!
Old 07-27-2017, 02:22 AM
Intermediate

Update

Well after complaints about clunking when hitting bumps, I decided to look further and found the real problem. The washer at the top of the strut was missing thus allowing the strut top shaft to sink down into the hole it fits in. This caused the whole lower assembly to sink down, and caused the rubbing between the vertical control arm and the strut's cylinder. After pushing the top of the strut back up into place, removing its nut, adding a large washer, and re-tightening, there is about an inch clearance between the vertical control arm and the strut cylinder. Test driving showed that the clunking is gone.

Now for the rest of the story: who forgot to put the strut washer on before putting on the top nut when they replaced the strut a couple of months ago? Yep. Another notch in my belt. :-)
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
sounds like the time i managed to get my ratchet stuck in-between the frame and a bolt. in hindsight, i should have used a wrench.

Search this Thread