is 06 RL with 90k miles worth it

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile is 06 RL with 90k miles worth it

Hi I am new and interested in buying an RL did some research and 06 seems to fit my profile. This 06 RL is a base model which I will install the backup camera on my own later, it has 90k miles on it and has service records at Acura dealership, interior is 9/10 shape almost brandnew looking, electronic seems to all work fine, no weird growling or jerk from 30-45mph. Cons the silver moldings front and rear are badly oxidated and there is a light scuff or scratch on the driver rear door and hes asking 9k for it, Ive use the vin and check up on the recalls and it seems only the taka one from 2/16 is open. I want you pros insight on this purchase.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:07 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Old 03-23-2016, 12:11 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
There is one 2008 Acura RL in mint condition at ebay. Mileage is 20k, Color is Red.

Originally Posted by nxstrikerxn
Hi I am new and interested in buying an RL did some research and 06 seems to fit my profile. This 06 RL is a base model which I will install the backup camera on my own later, it has 90k miles on it and has service records at Acura dealership, interior is 9/10 shape almost brandnew looking, electronic seems to all work fine, no weird growling or jerk from 30-45mph. Cons the silver moldings front and rear are badly oxidated and there is a light scuff or scratch on the driver rear door and hes asking 9k for it, Ive use the vin and check up on the recalls and it seems only the taka one from 2/16 is open. I want you pros insight on this purchase.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Has the timing belt been done?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Has the timing belt been done?
No it hasnt thats my top concern as its near 105k service timing belt, water pump, pulley, other belts, and lastly spark plugs. I asked the owner if he has done transmission and rear diff fluid flush and he said no so that is on the list too.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Timing belt is on borrowed time, 7years/105k. Shocks and struts will need replacing too, that's a combined 2-3k in maintenance right off the bat. Tires and brakes? At 90k, he hasn't done trans or diff? Is he the original owner...if so, that's a badly neglected rl and 9k is too much. What service exactly was done at the dealership...just oil change? Brake fluid changed?

Ac working? Headlights flickering? Any messages on the nav screen!

I have an 05 with everything done, 112k miles, I'll sell it to you for 10k. Clean as a whistle title.

Last edited by rlerman; 03-23-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Senior Moderator

No drivetrain fluids is a red flag. Not a deal breaker, but it shows a lack of care.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rlerman
Timing belt is on borrowed time, 7years/105k. Shocks and struts will need replacing too, that's a combined 2-3k in maintenance right off the bat. Tires and brakes? At 90k, he hasn't done trans or diff? Is he the original owner...if so, that's a badly neglected rl and 9k is too much. What service exactly was done at the dealership...just oil change? Brake fluid changed?

Ac working? Headlights flickering? Any messages on the nav screen!

I have an 05 with everything done, 112k miles, I'll sell it to you for 10k. Clean as a whistle title.
hes acutally the 2nd owner, the tires are pretty worn brakes are getting there and yes he didnt do the diff the only thing i see on the service receipt are engine mounts, battery from 2yrs ago. The ac works all electronic are good except he told me when he listens to AM theres a static sound probably ANC from what ive read..My own instincts tells me he doesnt really take care much about the car but the interior does seem to look a great shape so are the shade blinds. I probably wont pay 9k going to try to haggle it down 8k is max I would pay.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Cruisin'

forgot to add I didnt test drive it yet probably tomorrow because I only have enough time to look and chitchat about the history of the car will give feed back about shocks. PS the service info I saw when I start the car is A16..from my research thats an oil change but could be wrong.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
dont forget that the RL has a takata airbag recall.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:58 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
hes acutally the 2nd owner, the tires are pretty worn brakes are getting there and yes he didnt do the diff the only thing i see on the service receipt are engine mounts, battery from 2yrs ago. The ac works all electronic are good except he told me when he listens to AM theres a static sound probably ANC from what ive read..My own instincts tells me he doesnt really take care much about the car but the interior does seem to look a great shape so are the shade blinds. I probably wont pay 9k going to try to haggle it down 8k is max I would pay.
Yeah don't. Sounds like he's trying to avoid doing the upcoming maintenance on it and trying to flip it on someone else. Honestly with what it currently needs I'd offer $7000-$7500 just because of everything it needs.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JJones91
Yeah don't. Sounds like he's trying to avoid doing the upcoming maintenance on it and trying to flip it on someone else. Honestly with what it currently needs I'd offer $7000-$7500 just because of everything it needs.
Yea that is what I am thinking too in order to get her up to date and running well for the next 5-7years Ill be keeping the car.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Pro

Yea that is what I am thinking too in order to get her up to date and running well for the next 5-7years Ill be keeping the car.
The RL is an amazing car and very technological even to today's cars being built. I love mine and it's running strong at 159k miles. Has had all the maintenance done at the recommended mileage. Only thing I need to have done to the car is have the front driver side molding replaced because the chrome just looks horrible. Other than that my car is mint. No dents, or scrapes. Leather is in great shape for the most part, if I could figure out how to soften it up because it has become rock hard. One thing I've learned with Honda/Acura is that their leather will do that over time.
I had a 98 Mustang GT and the leather was just as soft and plush as the day it rolled off the assembly line.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

The RL is an amazing car and very technological even to today's cars being built. I love mine and it's running strong at 159k miles. Has had all the maintenance done at the recommended mileage. Only thing I need to have done to the car is have the front driver side molding replaced because the chrome just looks horrible. Other than that my car is mint. No dents, or scrapes. Leather is in great shape for the most part, if I could figure out how to soften it up because it has become rock hard. One thing I've learned with Honda/Acura is that their leather will do that over time.
I had a 98 Mustang GT and the leather was just as soft and plush as the day it rolled off the assembly line.
wow i like the leather factor from ford but from what ive heard if you condition the leather im sure over time it will soften the only hard leather ive experience are rsx tsx tl which often crack if one doesnt take care of it.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Pro

wow i like the leather factor from ford but from what ive heard if you condition the leather im sure over time it will soften the only hard leather ive experience are rsx tsx tl which often crack if one doesnt take care of it.
Well the issue is that the leather absorbs all the body oils over a course of time and so if you try conditioning the leather with all the oils present you're just going to be coating the oils and not conditioning the leather, so you have to know how to properly clean it to open the pores to get all the oils out. I've bought the Lexol cleaning and conditioning including a 100% horse hair brush as recommended but I still cannot seem to get it out.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
No it hasnt thats my top concern as its near 105k service timing belt, water pump, pulley, other belts, and lastly spark plugs. I asked the owner if he has done transmission and rear diff fluid flush and he said no so that is on the list too.
It sounds like you have a handle on things already!

Last July, I posted a similar thread abot a '07 with '81k. I ended up buying the car. To date, the only issue is the cupholder cover on the console stopped closing, but I usually just leave it open anyway so it would be a waste of money fixing it.

Next year I will have a very expensive service. It still beats spending $100-200 a month on misc. repairs like I was on my previous car, a '11 Dodge Charger which I traded in with 50k. Or spending $1000/month on the car before that, a '10 Cadillac CTS that I traded in with only 45k... the seats in my RL actually have less wear still than either of those newer, high mileage cars which were among the cleaner options I had to choose from as well. There's a small dent in the trunk and roof, and a small paint chip on a door handle but overall the car is in great shape and was cheap enough so I bought it and I think it was the best car purchase I've made in years personally. I'm fairly confident the RL will hold up well, the interior is still rather quiet, my struts are in good shape.

Last edited by Boomstick0; 03-27-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey nxstrikerxn,

I think I bought the car you are describing hahaa.

I looked at the car back in Dec. but wasn't happy with the sun damage on the chrome.. He listed it for $10k but was firm on $9,500... I didn't want to pay that much... I offered him $8,000 and he didn't take it... So I passed because of the issues you described... I started looking for other RLs but nothing really popped up in 2-3 months (they're soo rare)... On the 26th to look at the RL again and a Lexus GS430.. I drove the Lexus first then went to look at the RL... I liked the Lexus a bit more than the RL but the extra $3,500 for the Lexus is not worth the cost.

I drove the car, found a rattle on the dash (coming from the air vent).. and everything else you described... I ended paying $8,400 which I think is a pretty good price considering how new the interior is.. it's just messy.. I spent 2 hours detailing it yesterday and it looks 9.5/10....

I ordered the chrome part on the grill for $65... the chrome pieces around the bumper will be sanded down and painted to match the car.. i can't justify paying $400 to replace all 4 corners... My body shop will do it for $80..

Timing belt/Water pump/ 4 Brakes and rotors... Im getting that done once I get the car back from the Acura Dealership for the airbags.. It'll cost me $650 (cousin is a mechanic)..

Did these myself or will do soon:
Transmission Fluid $80 (drain and refilled 4x)..
Oil Change $25..
All Air Filters $20..
Transfer Cage Fluid $14 (shit sinks)
Differential Fluid $23
New headlight bulbs $70
P/S Fluid: $12
6 NGK Spark Plugs $48
Back up Camera/Navtool $170
Aux input jack: $65
Rear Deck Lip Spoiler $40
3M Heavy Duty Headlight restoration: $25
Clay bar, polish, liquid wax: $50

My biggest concern on the test drive was to see if there was the notorious Whine between 35-45mph... didn't have it so i was quite happy...

Paid $8,400+ $690 for transfer fee + $650 for major service + $650 in fluid changes/accessory upgrades.

I paid around $10,300 + 6 hrs of my labor after all is said and done...

The car now looks Brand New, and I have the peace of mind that the only thing ill need for the next 5 years is just basic maintenance is priceless..

I still paid $1,700 less than the Lexus (not including the transfer fee for the lexus)...

Driving the RL puts a smile in my face... It's a world difference v.s. my 3G TL.. I was considering buying a RLX PAWS but this RL is way better (it feels more solid) Look forward to put 120,000 miles on this car in the next 5 years.

Last edited by twiz03; 03-29-2016 at 12:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by twiz03
And you have for barely over $10k a car that should last you the next 5 years. Getting 5 years out of a $10k car in this day in age is an impressive feat (unless you're under 5 ft tall and don't ever have to carry groceries in your trunk and get something really tiny and pathetic).

I also really like the way the RL drives a lot. It's not nearly as hard as a Lexus (which I would take any day) and still steers well.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:49 PM
Pro

Hey nxstrikerxn,
My biggest concern on the test drive was to see if there was the notorious Whine between 35-45mph... didn't have it so i was quite happy...
That whine you describe is very common, mine will get it on a cold start, but from what I read it's nothing to even get worried about. Yeah it's a whine, but goes away after everything warms up. Can't justify spending what people spend just to fix a sound that only occurs for a few minutes when the car is cold.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM
Advanced

That whine you describe is very common, mine will get it on a cold start, but from what I read it's nothing to even get worried about. Yeah it's a whine, but goes away after everything warms up. Can't justify spending what people spend just to fix a sound that only occurs for a few minutes when the car is cold.
I have it for a few minutes when it's really cold out, like below 20 or so and it goes away really fast even in the coldest I have driven at (20 below). It's not very loud either, so not going to worry about it.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boomstick0
And you have for barely over $10k a car that should last you the next 5 years. Getting 5 years out of a $10k car in this day in age is an impressive feat (unless you're under 5 ft tall and don't ever have to carry groceries in your trunk and get something really tiny and pathetic).

I also really like the way the RL drives a lot. It's not nearly as hard as a Lexus (which I would take any day) and still steers well.
If the Lexus gs430 was within $1500 after taxes and what not. Id probably go for it too...

Thanks for the input about the whinning noise!
Old 03-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Advanced

If the Lexus gs430 was within $1500 after taxes and what not. Id probably go for it too...

I could have got a Lexus GS for around $3.5k more than my RL too, same lot. Thing is I couldn't even get my feet on the floor of a GS as a passenger because my knees hit the dash, so I didn't bother looking at it or anything.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:10 PM
Cruisin'

Hey nxstrikerxn,

I think I bought the car you are describing hahaa.

I looked at the car back in Dec. but wasn't happy with the sun damage on the chrome.. He listed it for $10k but was firm on $9,500... I didn't want to pay that much... I offered him $8,000 and he didn't take it... So I passed because of the issues you described... I started looking for other RLs but nothing really popped up in 2-3 months (they're soo rare)... On the 26th to look at the RL again and a Lexus GS430.. I drove the Lexus first then went to look at the RL... I liked the Lexus a bit more than the RL but the extra $3,500 for the Lexus is not worth the cost.

I drove the car, found a rattle on the dash (coming from the air vent).. and everything else you described... I ended paying $8,400 which I think is a pretty good price considering how new the interior is.. it's just messy.. I spent 2 hours detailing it yesterday and it looks 9.5/10....

I ordered the chrome part on the grill for $65... the chrome pieces around the bumper will be sanded down and painted to match the car.. i can't justify paying $400 to replace all 4 corners... My body shop will do it for $80..

Timing belt/Water pump/ 4 Brakes and rotors... Im getting that done once I get the car back from the Acura Dealership for the airbags.. It'll cost me $650 (cousin is a mechanic)..

Did these myself or will do soon:
Transmission Fluid $80 (drain and refilled 4x)..
Oil Change $25..
All Air Filters $20..
Transfer Cage Fluid $14 (shit sinks)
Differential Fluid $23
New headlight bulbs $70
P/S Fluid: $12
6 NGK Spark Plugs $48
Back up Camera/Navtool $170
Aux input jack: $65
Rear Deck Lip Spoiler $40
3M Heavy Duty Headlight restoration: $25
Clay bar, polish, liquid wax: $50

Paid $8,400+ $690 for transfer fee + $650 for major service + $650 in fluid changes/accessory upgrades.

The car now looks Brand New, and I have the peace of mind that the only thing ill need for the next 5 years is just basic maintenance is priceless..

I still paid $1,700 less than the Lexus (not including the transfer fee for the lexus)...

Driving the RL puts a smile in my face... It's a world difference v.s. my 3G TL.. I was considering buying a RLX PAWS but this RL is way better (it feels more solid) Look forward to put 120,000 miles on this car in the next 5 years.
OMG!!! ahhahahhha No wonder it wasnt on craiglist anymore lol I was like dang someone must of bought it...I offered the guy 7k and told him all the things that needed to be changed and he wouldnt even bother negotiating the price with me which I was sad because I really love the interior as it is the cleanest of the RL ive seen so far. Bro I am happy to see you got it because that RL needed some TLC as the previous owner didnt give it any...now I am still in search for a clean RL GUNMETAL OR BLACK with black interior. So far Ive found 2 which has less than 80k miles and they are tech pkg black on black RL in Austin, Texas trying to justify myself if its worth flying ($345 ticket) to see the RL.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Cruisin'

Would love to see some pics of the car once you get it back KEEP US UPDATED ^_^
Old 03-29-2016, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Link to the Austin car? (Not like I have time, but I might entertain the idea of testing it for you simply to drive an RL again.)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Would love to see some pics of the car once you get it back KEEP US UPDATED ^_^

Yeah, for sure... I'll post up some pictures... I don't think I'll get it back until July... It's sitting at the dealership right now... I got a shitty Camry to drive around... What a piece of junk... The interior feels like the early 2000 fords... Toyota's the new Ford...
Old 03-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Cruisin'

Link to the Austin car? (Not like I have time, but I might entertain the idea of testing it for you simply to drive an RL again.)
2005 Acura RL For Sale in Austin, TX - CarGurus

Cars for Sale: Used 2008 Acura RL in , Austin TX: 78746 Details - Sedan - Autotrader
Old 03-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah, for sure... I'll post up some pictures... I don't think I'll get it back until July... It's sitting at the dealership right now... I got a shitty Camry to drive around... What a piece of junk... The interior feels like the early 2000 fords... Toyota's the new Ford...
hahaha dam that long I would of just take it back and do the necessary things to it and bring it back when the dealership has time.

I got back my Integra back from the bodyshop just yesterday which I happy miss my 18yr old car and its vtec lol...but yeah I am in search for an adult car.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Toyota's the new Ford...

That doesn't make any sense.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Instructor

That doesn't make any sense.
the new ford of the early 2000s when all their cars were a piece of shit hahah
Old 03-30-2016, 01:42 PM
Cruisin'

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...2008-acura-rl/
Old 03-30-2016, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like it was a good deal the timing belt is not a major deal breaker if you really liked the car you shoulda bought it as these cars are rare and definitely hard to find i just got mine for 10,400 without timing done =( but it was clean and had rims new tires and all, nicest one i seen in LA dude was firm on price and i shoulda walked but i screwed up cuz he knew i really liked the car and he wasnt in a negotiating mood so i just bought it what the hell i was looking for a couple years already and was tired of waiting..
Old 03-30-2016, 02:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by billzblaze
Sounds like it was a good deal the timing belt is not a major deal breaker if you really liked the car you shoulda bought it as these cars are rare and definitely hard to find i just got mine for 10,400 without timing done =( but it was clean and had rims new tires and all, nicest one i seen in LA dude was firm on price and i shoulda walked but i screwed up cuz he knew i really liked the car and he wasnt in a negotiating mood so i just bought it what the hell i was looking for a couple years already and was tired of waiting..
lol dam bro couple of years glad you got what you wanted yeah... rare is right ive been looking for couple months, the first month it was all over the internet now that I really want one all the clean ones are gone and only the dead beat ones are left.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

The one at Sterling Acura is on my alternate route to work. The other one isn't too far out, but being a private seller means less chance to find a good time to meet up.

I'm currently preparing for a project that is going to take off the third week of April, so I doubt I will give either one a shot. If I wasn't busy, I would though just for fun.
the new ford of the early 2000s when all their cars were a piece of shit hahah
Toyota makes the most reliable cars, period, and they have for a long time. If you think a 2000 Camry was exceptionally worse than a 2000 Accord, you are wrong.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:52 PM
Cruisin'

The one at Sterling Acura is on my alternate route to work. The other one isn't too far out, but being a private seller means less chance to find a good time to meet up.

I'm currently preparing for a project that is going to take off the third week of April, so I doubt I will give either one a shot. If I wasn't busy, I would though just for fun.

Toyota makes the most reliable cars, period, and they have for a long time. If you think a 2000 Camry was exceptionally worse than a 2000 Accord, you are wrong.
No problem oo7spy I dont want to trouble anyone but very good to know your intention bro..Im trying to see if I can make time to go see the one in Nor Cal.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol yea the ones i seen were either in a dealership for too much or had high mileage or not the color i wanted or just in really bad condition and mine had 102,000 and sum change on the clock but the guy had clean carfax and autocheck with all the service records from the dealership its whole life plus 20" Niche rims with brand new falkens which i kinda dont like but hey they go nice with the car..
Old 03-31-2016, 11:33 PM
Instructor

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm trying to say. lol.
early 2000 fords were crappy (interior for the most part)
I'm talking about the 2016 Camry I currently have from enterprise for the RL's recall. I'm saying that the interior of this Camry has to be the worst effort I've seen from any generation of Toyota Camrys.. The car has 600 miles, it's rattles, everything is cheap cheap plastic, lots of panels don't line up property or sticking out awkwardly... I thought it was just this Camry but I took another look at the second one they had on the lot and it was exactly the same thing...

I do agree with you, the 2000 Camry was better than a 2000 Accord... It wasnt until 2003 when Honda finally built a better mid-size sedan when compared to the Camry
Old 04-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Pro

Shit I'll sell you my RL for 9k :P
Has had all maintenance done on it too
Gotta be willing to accept the mileage though
Old 04-01-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
I wouldn't let go of mine even if it was 9k US.

For the money, what touches this car?
The following users liked this post:
RL09 (04-06-2016)

Quick Reply: is 06 RL with 90k miles worth it