05 RL 45K miles Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 RL 45K miles Maintenance

Hi guys, my name is Oscar, we are owners of a beautiful black/tan/wood 05 RL, I am new here and i'm looking fwd for advises and exchange of information/knowledge in this site, I am on S2ki / prime etc ...

sorry for not "searching" ... I promise it's only this time

Question, we have the 45K service to be done, question, here 's the list of things to do, I'd rather do this b4 my wife goes and spends $388 @ the dealer, normally I do everything but MAJOR stuff on my cars, I have done the differential fluid change on my S2k twice with 0 issues .... here's the list they gave to her:
==
Change wipers = her wipers are good, no need to change
Change oil = i'll do that
Coolant = i'll do that
Brake fluid = i'll do that
Differential fluid = NEED ADVISE
New air filter = i'll do that
Rotate and balance tires = i'll do that
====

So yeah is there any link for the RL differential fluid change? any special instructions been AWD? // should I just let her do that @ the dealer the differential part?

Many many thanks!

Oscar
Old 05-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
There are instructions to do the differential fluid here if search is done. But basically, there is a drain and fill plug back there. The only thing you need to know is that it uses ATF, not differential or VTM4 fluid. There is also a drain and fill plug for hypoid fluid which also uses ATF. Also recommend to losen the fill plug first. Only tool needed is a 3/8 rachet and possibly an extension and breaker bar or hammer.
I'd recommend changing the cabin filter. That's a snap also and should take about 5 minutes and no tools required.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is your service recommendation is in accordance with the MID maintenance message such as B16? Or is it something that the dealer recommends based strictly on mileage (i.e., is he trying to make some bucks in these bad economic times, after all, over maintaining never really hurts, just that they make more money, and Acura owners tend to have semi deep pockets)?

Looking at post #28 this car has more than one differential chamber in the rear, and of course there is the front, also.
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/rear-differential-oil-change-497458/

Works a lot better than the forum search tool:

Go to google, type in

site://rl.acurazine.com <insert search terms>

Example:
site://rl.acurazine.com rear differential fluid change

You can use the same search (different terms, of course) to find the cabin filter diy
Old 05-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by oscar_driver
Hi guys, my name is Oscar, we are owners of a beautiful black/tan/wood 05 RL, I am new here and i'm looking fwd for advises and exchange of information/knowledge in this site, I am on S2ki / prime etc ...

sorry for not "searching" ... I promise it's only this time

Question, we have the 45K service to be done, question, here 's the list of things to do, I'd rather do this b4 my wife goes and spends $388 @ the dealer, normally I do everything but MAJOR stuff on my cars, I have done the differential fluid change on my S2k twice with 0 issues .... here's the list they gave to her:
==
Change wipers = her wipers are good, no need to change
Change oil = i'll do that
Coolant = i'll do that
Brake fluid = i'll do that
Differential fluid = NEED ADVISE
New air filter = i'll do that
Rotate and balance tires = i'll do that
====

So yeah is there any link for the RL differential fluid change? any special instructions been AWD? // should I just let her do that @ the dealer the differential part?

Many many thanks!

Oscar
Wipers = buy from dealer and install yourself.
Oil = buy oil then filter online and have dealer change for $20
Coolant = no need to change
Brake fluid = no need to change
Diff fluid = do yourself (dealer charges too much)
Air filter buy online and do yourself (don't forget the cabin filter)
Rotate tires = only if you are in need of balance or have uneven wear..

BTW - I just saved you hundreds!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Instructor

^
I agree except buy the PIAA wipers from Autobarn.
I have had continuing discussions with my servicing dealer about the MID (manufacturer) required services in contrast to the dealer recommended mileage based services which are uniformly more expensive and way above the MID services.
The dealers are simply trying to make more money and cloaking the real reason with comments about local "severe" conditions, etc.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I may not agree with brake fluid. I would change it. I remember reading somewhere in the manual it requires being changed every 3 years regardless of mileage. I just changed mine at 36K miles and it was pretty dirty. But then again, I just syphoned the fluid in the master master and refilled, didn't bother with going to each wheel. I know this doesn't change everything out, but a little is better than nothing. A trick I learned when I used to work at a Honda dealer.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Good advice here. Welcome to AZ!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

Thank you guys so much, normally I use Royal Purple on the nsx, but on the RL case i will just use maybe a Mobil1 synthetic ...

Again, thanks so much, I really appreciate it!!

Oscar