Scary incident; total electrical shut-down, and complete lock-up while driving.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:31 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scary incident; total electrical shut-down, and complete lock-up while driving.

Hi folks, first time poster here, and a long-time Acura fan. (I'm on my 6th Legend/RL) I just experienced a very scary incident yesterday, and need your help please.

Yesterday, just as I left home to go shopping, my 2005 RL, which had started up normally, experienced a complete lock-up, and electrical shutdown, just as I arrived at the first stop-sign away from my home. It happened so quickly that my memory of the exact sequence of events may, or may not, be fully accurate, however, this is how I remember the sequence.

I arrived at the stop-sign and came to a full stop, then started to proceed through the intersection. Suddenly I heard my doors locking,,, and the shifter and steering locked,,, then the dash-lights went black, and the engine had shut down. There were no preliminary warning indicators. Everything seemed normal to that point. I was unable to steer, or shift out of Drive, or unlock any of my doors, nor roll the windows down. Luckily, my car was angled just enough to get me partially off the street, and unable to steer,,,my car came to a full stop, straddled accross a sidewalk. I immediately tried to get out of the car, but realized I was trapped,,, locked in. The doors wouldn't open regardless of what I tried.

Manually releasing the door-locks didn't work. I realized I was trapped inside the car, without a phone to call for help. Fortunately,,,, I was able to contort and squeeze my 70 year-old and 250lb body between the seat-backs, and reach into the rear-seat area, and thaaaank God, one of my back doors hadn't locked itself, so I was able to slither out head-first between the seat-backs, and onto the back seat, and the sidewalk. Fortunately, before exiting the car, I had the presence of mind to pop the hood latch.

Luckily for me, I was less than 1/4 mile away from my home, so I walked home to get some tools. After returning to the vehicle 30 minutes later, I disconnected the battery (brand new 800cca battery and -super-clean battery terminals) I waited for a few seconds, hoping this would reboot the computer, then I reconnected the battery, and the power came back. From the point, the car started normally, and I was able to get my shocked and frightened self to my home.

I couldn't help but think "what would I do if this happened while I was driving at cruising speed on a busy autoroute,,, unable to steer, with hi-speed traffic coming at me from both directions?"
How could something like this POSSIBLY happen????? It seems unimaginable and inconceivable that I wouldn't be able to exit the vehicle manually from inside? I find this shocking, and I'm thanking my lucky stars that the vehicle wasn't struck by oncoming traffic, or that the car wasn't on fire.

My closest Acura dealer is about 40kms away, and I'm scared to drive the car until I know precisely what happened, and what to do in the event it re-occurs. Fortunately, I had just bought another RL two weeks ago (a 2008 Elite w/79,000km's, and that car is fine). I'm mobile with that '08, but I'd like to keep my 2005 as a "winter car", or possibly sell it. I wouldn't dream of selling it unless I was 100% certain this problem won't re-occur.

Any ideas here? For what it's worth, I had the proximity-keys for both RL's in my pocket when this incident happened. I'm wondering if the "lock" function may have been transmitted from the key, if the lock-button was accidentally actuated in my pocket. (lock-button being depressed by other items in my pocket). Seems highly unlikely. Hmmmm.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-21-2018, 07:22 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Similar here

We have been having a LOT of rain locally and I was in my 2006 RL. First noticed that the Nav unit was restarting at random. Removed the disk and reinserted. Didn't seem to change anything.

Finally had several episodes of (almost) complete shutdowns for a second or so, then coming back to life. Got a warning about steering problem. The steering WAS very heavy (as in no assist). But I would pull to side of the road, shut the car down, let is set for a moment or 2 and restart. Would be good until the next time.

Finally got a chance to look at it. Found battery terminals tight and clean but the assembly that houses all of this was "flexible" as the top cover was not snapped shut on both sides. I can only guess that between the flexing and the possibility that water had gotten in there, things were going crazy. It's been a few days and no reoccurrences have been noticed.

Not sure this is an "answer" to you experience, but we can certainly see if others have the same experiences.

It will be interesting.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
battery died or the terminal has corroded.
The following users liked this post:
rlx015 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:29 PM
8th Gear

Thoiboi, the battery was brand new,,,purchased 2 weeks ago, and the terminals are clean, and tight. When I first got into the car to start it, the car started normally, despite having sat in my yard for a week since the last start-up. Also, immediately after the lock-up incident, I was able to restart the car normally after disconnecting/re-connecting my battery and re-booting the main computer, using that same battery.

Somehow, my car received a signal to shut itself down, and lock itself.,,rendering the vehicle immobile. I spoke to a friend who is a mechanic with 35 years experience, and he said he's never heard of such a thing. He said, 'it almost sounds as if your car's operating system was "hacked".

I've been driving for 54 years, and I've never heard of such a thing. Can you imagine if this would have happened while driving by a body of water??? Unable to steer, or unlock my doors, nor able to open the doors as the car is filling with water? or,,,, the car catches on fire??? This is insane.

Fortunately, I've worked as an airline crew member for many years,, and I'm trained in dealing with emergency aircraft landings, and ditching at sea. The vital element in succesfully dealing with such a scenario, is to have a well defined plan of escape BEFORE setting out on a trip. I never dreamed I might need such a plan for a simple "car ride" to the grocery store.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:35 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by tvande

Finally had several episodes of (almost) complete shutdowns for a second or so, then coming back to life. Got a warning about steering problem. The steering WAS very heavy (as in no assist). But I would pull to side of the road, shut the car down, let is set for a moment or 2 and restart.
I couldn't steer,,, the steering column locked up, as well as the gear-shift and the doors. The car didn't restart until I disconnected and reconnected the battery,,, then it restarted as if nothing had ever happened.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:50 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by tvande

Finally had several episodes of (almost) complete shutdowns for a second or so, then coming back to life. Got a warning about steering problem. The steering WAS very heavy (as in no assist). But I would pull to side of the road, shut the car down, let is set for a moment or 2 and restart.
I couldn't steer,,, the steering column locked up, as well as the gear-shift and the doors. The car didn't restart until I disconnected and reconnected the battery,,, then it restarted as if nothing had ever happened.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:36 PM
9th Gear

Yeah, that's really scary.... imagine if you went to pull out from an intersection/stop sign or even trying to merge into oncoming traffic from an on-ramp & this happened... has the potential to be deadly.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
battery died or the terminal has corroded.
I had this exact same thing happen to me and it was completely corroded ground terminal (the black one) that needed replacing... it really was scary at the moment, but I guess no one thought of implementing some form of mitigation so people do not get into this situation if something was bad like that.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobby2shots
I recommend checking the wiring harness around the battery, battery itself, etc. 13yr old car must have some stock items that need to be replaced for sure - otherwise, it will happen again and you do not want that for sure.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:02 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
1st I'm quite confused as to why you couldn't get out of your driver door. Doesn't the lock switch on the inside handle just flick with your finger and lock/unlock?

2nd, was it raining? or night before? had a door handle been acting up? Fuse 7 can shut down many things.

If the battery cables are fine, and the battery too, check all fuses on driver's side, passenger side and especially under the hood.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:17 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RL09
1st I'm quite confused as to why you couldn't get out of your driver door. Doesn't the lock switch on the inside handle just flick with your finger and lock/unlock?

2nd, was it raining? or night before? had a door handle been acting up? Fuse 7 can shut down many things.

If the battery cables are fine, and the battery too, check all fuses on driver's side, passenger side and especially under the hood.
Yes, you would think that manually flicking the door locks would allow you to open the door,,, but it didn't. I manually released the lock, and tried the door handle,,,, but the door wouldn't open. That was probably the biggest shock to me,,, and once I was able to wrap my head around that fact, I realized in disbelief that I was trapped inside the car, with no way out other than to break a window. It was by pure luck that one of my back doors had not locked itself properly, and this ultimately provided me with an escape route. That particular back door lock has for years now, routinely failed to lock properly unless I repeatedly hit the lock-button on the key-fob. That failure turned out to be a blessing after all.

Regarding the weather,,,,, it was a bright and sunny Fall afternoon,,, temerature was 14 degrees Celsius/ 57 degrees Fahrenheit.

Regarding fuses, I haven't checked them individually, but remember that once I disconnected the battery to allow the main computer to reboot, then re-connected the battery, the car started instantly, with zero warning-lights on the dash. Everything operated normally, and all appears fine at the moment. After letting the car sit for a few days, I went out to start the car again last night, and it instantly fired up, with no warning-lights on the dash. It's a head-scratcher.

I called a local Acura dealer this morning,,, and the service guy said I'd have to bring it in and leave it for a few days,,,,( yeah,,,,, riiiiight.) That would probably cost more than the car is worth. He's also 40 miles away,, and I don't have a second driver to pick me up at the dealership, then return me to the dealer a few days later. That's simply not an option at the moment. One possibility might be a local guy who specializes in electrical systems,,,however,,, my understanding is, a "scan" will only show a "problem" if it's occuring at that moment. I don't think it will show an intermittent problem if the car is operating normally as the scan is being conducted,,,, I hope I'm wrong about that.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:00 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Welcome to the modern world of too much electrickery! It's slightly concerning that despite the locks being cable-operated, you were unable to budge the solenoid.

In all likelihood, it is corrosion on a connector - somewhere - and it completely freaked the computers. I'd take the advice and check every ground connector you can find and hit every fuse with contact cleaner.

Some people think that the usual SH-AWD/AFS freak is caused by corrosion on the grey connector under the steering column - it's worth cleaning that, too.

But these things are very difficult to trace with 100% certainty.
justnspace (10-25-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 07:07 AM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, you would think that manually flicking the door locks would allow you to open the door,,, but it didn't. I manually released the lock, and tried the door handle,,,, but the door wouldn't open. That was probably the biggest shock to me,,, and once I was able to wrap my head around that fact, I realized in disbelief that I was trapped inside the car, with no way out other than to break a window. It was by pure luck that one of my back doors had not locked itself properly, and this ultimately provided me with an escape route. That particular back door lock has for years now, routinely failed to lock properly unless I repeatedly hit the lock-button on the key-fob. That failure turned out to be a blessing after all.

Regarding the weather,,,,, it was a bright and sunny Fall afternoon,,, temerature was 14 degrees Celsius/ 57 degrees Fahrenheit.

Regarding fuses, I haven't checked them individually, but remember that once I disconnected the battery to allow the main computer to reboot, then re-connected the battery, the car started instantly, with zero warning-lights on the dash. Everything operated normally, and all appears fine at the moment. After letting the car sit for a few days, I went out to start the car again last night, and it instantly fired up, with no warning-lights on the dash. It's a head-scratcher.

I called a local Acura dealer this morning,,, and the service guy said I'd have to bring it in and leave it for a few days,,,,( yeah,,,,, riiiiight.) That would probably cost more than the car is worth. He's also 40 miles away,, and I don't have a second driver to pick me up at the dealership, then return me to the dealer a few days later. That's simply not an option at the moment. One possibility might be a local guy who specializes in electrical systems,,,however,,, my understanding is, a "scan" will only show a "problem" if it's occuring at that moment. I don't think it will show an intermittent problem if the car is operating normally as the scan is being conducted,,,, I hope I'm wrong about that.
I had forgotten to mention in my previous postt, tthat I had done an OBD scan for current and stored codes and found nothing after several episodes of the intermittant that I was seeing.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:18 AM
8th Gear

Well, today I took a chance and drove the car to Costco and back,,,roughly 100 km's (62 mile) round trip, and no issues whatsoever. I had a "check VSA" light, but that's been going on for quite a while, with no negative effects that I can discern. My back windows won't go down from the driver's control-panel, but that's an easy fix. My ceiling map-light panel is not working again,,,but as I recall, that was an easy fix too.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I had this happen on my '05 years back. The car remained drivable, but event he SHWAD disabled itself and switched in to FWD mode (rather harshly too!). Dash lit up like a christmas tree. A/C was turning on/off, radio, lights, doors, cats living with dogs. Mass histeria! Turned out to be a failed Yaw Rate sensor. It was covered at that time under warranty. Otherwise it was pricey, just north of $1,000. Took the dealer nearly two full days of labor just to pin point the root of the problem.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:19 PM

Well, today I took a chance and drove the car to Costco and back,,,roughly 100 km's (62 mile) round trip, and no issues whatsoever. I had a "check VSA" light, but that's been going on for quite a while, with no negative effects that I can discern. My back windows won't go down from the driver's control-panel, but that's an easy fix. My ceiling map-light panel is not working again,,,but as I recall, that was an easy fix too.
How long have you had the car? Have you ever changed the battery cables?

The car entirely shutting down, then working normally, looks like a power interruption. Like Thiboi said.

Even if you don't see anything wrong visibly, the black ground cable i read is 10 bucks... the red one may be higher... but changing them might be a good idea, as well as checking all main power lines. I'm an amateur, can't tell you which they are, but it sounds like that, power interruption.

The big fuses under the hood are also possible.. if one is loose,.. but.. I'd go with what thoiboi indicated: battery and cables. Especially you said u had changed battery 2 weeks prior. maybe cable isn't screwed on tight enough, or corroded inside.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
My issue was with the positive cable which was ~$50.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:21 PM
8th Gear

The "power interruption" is obvious,,, however,,, it's the sequence of events "prior" to that interruption that baffles me. Why would all the door, steering-wheel, gear-shifter, and window locks be initiated? Those actions require power,,, prior to complete loss of electrical power.

Once again,,, my cables and connectors are clean and tight, and the 800cca battery is brand new. Alternator is charging at 14.3v, which is normal. Battery tests fine, at 13.2v The car also started vigourously immediately after this event,,,no hesitation whatsoever, and continues to do so.

If a fuse was blown, that fuse can't "reset" itself,,, but the car seems to be operating "normally" at the moment.

I'm wondering if there is an "immobilisation" anti-theft circuit in this car? Could the fact that I had the keys for both of my RL's (2005 and 2008) in my pocket have been sensed by the car, and seeing a "conflict", causing the car to shut down and lock up? (immobilisation) When I used the '05 to go to Costco yesterday, and the car operated normally,,, I had only the keys for that particular car in my pocket. That may be a 'red herring",,,
Old 10-26-2018, 05:34 PM

That or it was a hit.

They just didn't know you already had a faulty backdoor to sneak out from.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:50 PM
8th Gear

Smile

Originally Posted by RL09
That or it was a hit.

They just didn't know you already had a faulty backdoor to sneak out from.
That back door has not been locking properly since I bought the car, 6 1/2 years ago. I routinely have to hit the key-fob's door-lock button multiple times to get it to lock. Turns out that this was a blessing in disguise, otherwise, I would have had to break a window to get out. When I took the car out again a few days ago,,,, I had my trusty "ball-peen hammer" at arm's reach.

My pre-trip checklist now looks like this;
1. Keys;,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,check!
2. 10mm and 13mm wrenches (for battery terminals),,,check!
3. Heavy ball-peen hammer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,c heck!

Old 10-28-2018, 07:32 AM

Old 10-31-2018, 07:12 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My post from 3/17/2016

First 3 Weeks of ownership and I'm already Shook!
As some of you may know I recently purchased a Pearl White 05 RL.(3/16/16). Within a week the Car threw the AFS light, so I took it to my local Acura dealer for a Oil Change. So I can keep my own record of intervals. Acura did the Oil change, and the courtesy 20 or 30 point inspection. Car came back clean no known issues 95% Brake life and Tires, the advisor even complimented me on my purchase.

Took the car home from Acura inside the house for 10 minutes, come back out to the car try to start nothing.. DEAD... I immediately pop the hood and notice the negative cable is loose.. Push it back on the battery car starts. I got to my buddy mechanic to tighten the terminal cable. He tells me the copper terminal connecter is broken and can not be tighten any more.

Fast forward I drive a whole week , every time I turn off the car. I have to pop the hood and push down on the negative terminal to start the car, let's just say I know the Navi and Radio codes by heart now.

I decided to take the car to the dealership to have them fix the terminal since it has only been 3 weeks. I live in North Jersey dealership is in WhitePlains NY.

Driving was fine the first 30 minutes of my journey. Now mind you every bump in the road would make the negative terminal pop up from the Battery. I'm 4 miles from the dealership. For those of you familiar with the Tappen zee Bridge, it is a constant 1 mile and 1/2 of nothing but bumps.

5 minutes into the drive the car jerks and all the dash lights come on! I'm like " Shit! Please let me make it over this bridge". There are no emergency lanes so I coast all the way over to far right lane. The car starts back up and I'm thanking my lucky stars.

2 mins later the car jerks dash board like a Christmas tree, I put the hazards on and just drift going slower and slower. I knew the cable had completely came off the battery, gradually the car becomes to a complete stop. Now the Hazards have blanked out and there is no emergency lane. But alas! It gets better, fine I'll just get out the car and put the cable back on.

I try the door handle nothing! I try the Windows nothing ! Auto locks nothing!.. F Me! Now I can't even get out the car. I start panicking and try the back doors. They are unlocked I climb out back doors. Put back on the cable and was on my way.. I'm sure I cause a few people to be late to work this morning.. I hope this Experience is not a shape of things to come.
RL09 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 03:33 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
This is why I don't want an RL...
Old 11-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Did you check the alternator? It might need replacing...
Old 11-09-2018, 08:49 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If its not a bad battery connection, I would think something is wrong with the ignition since the steering locked up (you say it didn't just get hard to turn, but that it locked) as well.