A-003: Whining noise at about 70 Mi/h: Acura case number

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Having experienced the whine, I'm taking some comfort in Acura wanting to get to the bottom of it. I feel for you with the thought of having the transmission replaced, or the SH-AWD, etc. That all seems like a very big deal.

I wonder why some dealers/Acura reps want to get to the bottom of it, and others kind of ignore it. On the one hand, it is an expensive and time-consuming investigation and repair. On the other hand, SH-AWD is going into almost every Acura, so they'd better be able to nip problems now.

Good luck, and thanks for the updates. Keep on keeping us posted.

Rob144
Old 12-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dwboston
Update: Replacing the shifter cable and transfer case did not solve the engine whining. The service manager consulted with Acura, and Acura insisted on replacing the transmission. The service manager said that Acura felt the whining was a serious issue and not a normal operating characteristic and the whine hinted at problems down the road. I wonder why others with the same complaint haven't received the same "fixes." Is this a test case for them?

It's kind of ironic: I got out of my 2003 TL-S because of the transmission issues (and the fact that my car wasn't included in the 100,000 mile transmission warranty extension) and the transmission in the RL is being replaced after 6 months of ownership. What happens if they replace the tranny and the engine still whines? Do I get a replacement SH-AWD system after that?

What's funny is that I mentioned the engine whine in an offhanded way. I brought it in to have some rattles fixed and to see if they could do something about wind noise from the driver door/window. I never thought most of the drivetrain would be replaced.
Any updates on the whining?

Rob144
Old 12-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
No whining in my car. (except my G/F when I drive fast)
Old 12-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob144
Any updates on the whining?

Rob144
I got the car back the day before Thanksgiving after 8 days at the dealership and a new transfer case and transmission (I'm sure the transmission isn't new - probably new parts in a refurbed housing like the ones replaced in the TL's). The whining is greatly diminished but not totally gone away I would say - though I'm probably just predisposed to hearing these types of sounds now. With the radio and/or climate control system on at normal levels I can no longer hear the noise when I could before. Bottom line: I'm glad to have the RL back after a week in a beat-up TSX. I'll post back if the whining returns.

Is there a break-in period or anything like that for a new transmission? I've been hesitant to really punch it since getting the car back.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:58 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's kinda crazy getting the tranny replaced already. I am going through the same thing with our 01 MDX. Got a re-manufactured transmission installed a couple of days ago...today the MDX is back at the dealership. Engine light came on and felt the shudder (like driving on those rumble strips) whenever the car is goes over 50 mph. I'm still waiting for the dealership to tell me what they are going to do next

Well, glad you got the RL back. I certainly hope this is not going to be future prob for our RL's.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FromTLtoRL
Wow, that's kinda crazy getting the tranny replaced already. I am going through the same thing with our 01 MDX. Got a re-manufactured transmission installed a couple of days ago...today the MDX is back at the dealership. Engine light came on and felt the shudder (like driving on those rumble strips) whenever the car is goes over 50 mph. I'm still waiting for the dealership to tell me what they are going to do next

Well, glad you got the RL back. I certainly hope this is not going to be future prob for our RL's.
This is a certified pre-owned 2005 RL w/19,000 miles on it. It had no classic transmission failure signs (gear slippage, rough shifts, warning lights, or OBD codes). The whining while accelerating was mentioned to the service advisor in an offhanded way. Acura decided to replace the transmission. I'm not worried about it - the CPO warranty is 100,000 miles for the powertrain.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Advanced

FromTLtoRL,

I also have an 01 MDX, with 96,000 miles and the 100,000 mile extended warranty. I had the 2nd Gear Inspection safety recall work done way back - they only installed the oil jet kit. I am now noticing slightly more noise from the transmission as it shifts from 1st to second, something which I did not notice before. What kind of problem did you have have with yours? How did it act prior to the failure? Did they cover it under any warranty or extended plan? Sorry for all the questions and for this being off topic, but I want to do whatever I need to before my warranty runs out.

The good news is that we drive our RL just about everywhere now, so the MDX is not getting much mileage any more. I do notice the whine in the RL from about 60-64mph. It's not annoying enough for me to do anything about yet, and I have 8yrs, 120,000 miles to take care of it.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

The whine

I was encouraged to see I'm not alone, however disappointed that no solution has been found. I've had the whine in my 05 RL since it was new. My dealer did try to find the problem. He replaced a lot of parts in his search for the solution. The propeller shaft was replaced first, then the transfer assembly, the belt tensioner/pully, the torque converter and transmission. The car initially had the whine between 35-45 and 72-80. After the replacement of the transmission I now only hear it between 72-80 which is really annoying when the flow of traffic is in that speed area ( which is often around here ). I now have 19000 miles and hope something comes up while the warranty is still active.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chiefmac
I was encouraged to see I'm not alone, however disappointed that no solution has been found. I've had the whine in my 05 RL since it was new. My dealer did try to find the problem. He replaced a lot of parts in his search for the solution. The propeller shaft was replaced first, then the transfer assembly, the belt tensioner/pully, the torque converter and transmission. The car initially had the whine between 35-45 and 72-80. After the replacement of the transmission I now only hear it between 72-80 which is really annoying when the flow of traffic is in that speed area ( which is often around here ). I now have 19000 miles and hope something comes up while the warranty is still active.
Same thing here. I've had the transmission, shift cable, transfer case, and now the drive shaft replaced. The 35-45 whine appears to be gone, but the 70-80 whine is still there. It's there when you step on the accelerator and gone when you let off. I'm beginning to think it's an operating characteristic of the SH-AWD system. I heard the same noise in both a new MDX and another RL. It's annoying as hell.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Advanced

Whining Noise Solved or Getting the Shaft!

As per my previous post(s). Once they replaced my drive shaft the noise went away and never returned. Acura is having a hard time keeping the drive shafts in stock. They replaced my tranny, transfer case and shift cable and nothing took care of the problem until they gave me the SHAFT.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Resurrected this thread from the dead

I have a new twist on the whining noise.

Over the last week, I have developed a "whirring" noise that appears only at low speed, such as when I am driving in a parking lot. It appears in 1st and 2nd gear and goes away above about 30 mph, or when I am accelerating quickly. Not sure whether it's tranny but the function of the transmission is completely unchanged.

I am choosing to address this by having a tranny flush at my upcoming B service--the car has 12.5k miles now and even though the manual says it isn't time, it probably is the right time to do it as I know others here are changing their tranny and diff fluids earlier than recommended.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:19 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
No suggestions. I actually drive quite often with the stereo off. Reflection time if you will, and the quiet and rattle free interior makes it so enjoyable.

I'm sure I would have noticed it.

On second thought, have them check the driveshaft. Havent' there been some reported issues regarding the bearings going out?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GoHawks
On second thought, have them check the driveshaft. Havent' there been some reported issues regarding the bearings going out?
Yeah, but my symptoms are a little different from what's reported with the driveshaft bearing failures.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Instructor

i know this question has been asked a couple of times, but how exactly are we classifying the 'whining noise'... while on low speeds, i get a sound similar to what neuron is describing, and on speeds between 60-65mph, its kinda similar... its '05 RL with 30K on it...
Old 06-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

The sound at 65-70 mph that you're getting is similar to what has been described before. Sounds like it's time for a drive shaft replacement for you! Judging from your low-speed sound, it seems like I'm going to have to do the same.

Bummer! I'll likely have to go back to at least the stock air intake before going in for this--even though this is likely a systemic problem with '05 and '06 RLs, I'm sure I'll be told that the intake did it somehow.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Advanced

I hear the "whine" usually at higher speeds, on the interstate going between 70-80mph. You don't really notice very much unless it's quiet. This has occured since day 1 on my 2005 RL.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:10 PM
10th Gear

I have a 2002 3.5RL and for some reason that crazy sound seems to happen 2/3rds through the commute...It sounds like it comes from the rear-its awfully annoying...Other than that I LOVE this CAR...I havent had anyone in the car or a heavy load either-what gives???
Old 06-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

niceone, your 2002 RL is a first generation RL, so your question might be better placed in that forum.

Here's the link....
https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-articles-2/
Old 07-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The sound at 65-70 mph that you're getting is similar to what has been described before. Sounds like it's time for a drive shaft replacement for you! Judging from your low-speed sound, it seems like I'm going to have to do the same.

Bummer! I'll likely have to go back to at least the stock air intake before going in for this--even though this is likely a systemic problem with '05 and '06 RLs, I'm sure I'll be told that the intake did it somehow.
sorry for not replying earlier.. been pretty hectic @ work.. so took my car to the dealer (got a good-will replacement for driver-side leather seat), and asked them about this whirring noise... the tech said low speed whirring is your normal transmission @ work under lower gears, high speed whirring is the optimized V-6 prepping to deliver more power at higher speeds... so my case was dismissed as NORMAL OPERATING CONDITIONS...

i wonder how i'll get them to do drive shaft replacement given that they are so adamant about nothing being wrong!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:40 AM
4th Gear

Drive shaft problem

I had the same noise for months and I tried grommets, silicone caulk and darn near driving the car off a cliff. Finally, the tech was able to replicate the noise and it was the drive shaft which they replaced. I have not had any noise since.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

I posted about my Friday "Sunday drive" in the Suspension forum, but did want to note that I heard the whine again today. I'm wondering how to convince the service writer (and tech) that the problem is real. Are there any TSBs about this?

Is it bad form to bring notes from the forum to the service writer and suggest changing the driveshaft? I'd like to have it looked into at my next regular service appointment.

The noise was apparent on smooth roads, and seemed to coming more from under the rear cabin. It would take a pretty sharp tech to drive the car on the noisy freeway near the dealer and hear it. It's pretty subtle. But it's there, and it caught my ear just as I started my back-country San Diego drive.

Have any more people had success getting the problem resolved? Or does anyone know if there is a TSB?

Rob144
Old 08-18-2007, 03:12 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the same issue, and mine would really become loud in colder weather.
It was a bearing pack on the center shaft; however they had to replace the center shaft to replace the bearings.
the tech had heard of other cases, and what cinched it for me to get them to replace it was telling them that in the winter, when we had 0 to -10, the damn thing would howl until it warmed up.
So, the got the ok from Acura to replace the shaft, and I have been quiet ever since
Old 08-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

I e-mailed my service writer about it. He said he hasn't heard of a similar issue with the RL and wants me to bring it in for a test drive with the technician.

Any ideas on how to avoid the inevitable "We don't hear anything" or "could not duplicate"? Even scarier is that I'll hear it during the drive and they won't!

Rob144
Old 08-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Pro

get the regional rep involved.
They DO know about it. Its an issue, and they admit that it is more apparent when the weather is colder.
ever since they changed mine, its been whisper silent.
And its not all RL's, but you have to insist and get the regional manager to OK it.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Advanced

I'm getting intermittent loud "whining" at low speeds as well. Over the weekend, everything sounded normal so i'm paying close attention at the moment. I have an 07 RL-Tech with 2k miles.

When i first heard the sound, i thought it was coming from some souped up car next to me. But the sound followed me around so i pulled down the windows and there was it was - sounded like an electric car whirring. It seems that i can hear the whining most clearly when moving from a complete stop. I think if this was normal, i'd hear the whining all the time. But the fact that the car is super quiet at low speeds at other times is what's making me worry.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Pro

you should be hearing it only when you are moving if you have my dreaded whine.
anything you hear at a stop is coming from the engine or the fuel pumps.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sotiri
get the regional rep involved.
They DO know about it. Its an issue, and they admit that it is more apparent when the weather is colder.
ever since they changed mine, its been whisper silent.
And its not all RL's, but you have to insist and get the regional manager to OK it.
How did you get the rep involved? Did you go straight to the regional rep, or ask the service writer/manager when you brought the car in?

Rob144
Old 08-21-2007, 01:05 AM
Pro

I told the service manager I didnt want the car back until the issue was resolved- and I told him the issue is there, I can hear it and its unacceptable to me to be told that its not there, or in other words that I am imagining it. I went on to say that if your service tech 'cant' hear it, to get one that didnt blow out his hearing in his youth, cause I can.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 AM
4th Gear

whining noise

THe noise is much more audible from the outside. they ran the car indoors (auto treadmill) toget it up to speed where they could hear the noise. once they did so, they were able to diagnose the bearings on the center shaft. My dealer is in tulsa.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kenewag
THe noise is much more audible from the outside. they ran the car indoors (auto treadmill) toget it up to speed where they could hear the noise. once they did so, they were able to diagnose the bearings on the center shaft. My dealer is in tulsa.
That's interesting advice. It also made me think of something.

For those folks who had the problem successfully diagnosed and resolved, can you mention your dealership? It might be more compelling to the service people to know that other dealerships have encountered and solved the problem.

Rob144
Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

At the dealer now to have my bubbled tire changed. Long story, different thread.

I told them about the whining and the service advisor was already aware of the issue. They're looking at my car from that standpoint as well today. my dealer service department.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Update: They ordered a propellor shaft for my car and it should be in after the holiday. They gave me no muss and no fuss, nothing about mods, just that it was a known issue and that they'd deal with it. I hadn't said anything other than "I've got a whining noise when I accelerate" and that was pretty much it. Part of it is that I get that level of service anyway at my dealer, and in return I willingly pay them for service.

Someone at Acura obviously knows about the whining issue, so thanks to Acura and this board as my experience has so far been painless. Will keep all appraised.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Good job, Bob. Did they take it for a drive to confirm the noise?

I hope to have similar success. Any chance you can mention your dealership? I want to be ready with references just in case I get grief . My adviser was unaware of this issue when I contacted him, and talked about having the tech take the car for a drive to confirm.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Given my experience when I was in for my B16 in July, I'm SURE there was a line around the service center to drive my car. (In July, I got a lot of positive comments from the techs about my car because of the exhaust.)

Seriously, they did test drive to confirm the noise.

Good job, Bob. Did they take it for a drive to confirm the noise?

I hope to have similar success. Any chance you can mention your dealership? I want to be ready with references just in case I get grief . My adviser was unaware of this issue when I contacted him, and talked about having the tech take the car for a drive to confirm.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:06 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

So Bob, just to be clear....you are getting the shaft? And this time you are happy about it?

Old 09-01-2007, 02:04 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
In my 2004 RL, I also have the same sound, but it only happens from 75-80mph. If I gas past 80, the sound dissapears. When I let off the gas, I can't hear it, but right when I step on the gas going 75, the sound comes right back. I haven't got it checked out, but maybe I should. I would like to see what your guys' fix is before I start doing anything.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Given my experience when I was in for my B16 in July, I'm SURE there was a line around the service center to drive my car. (In July, I got a lot of positive comments from the techs about my car because of the exhaust.)

Seriously, they did test drive to confirm the noise.
Did you get the new shaft and cure the problem?

Did you learn of any reason why the newer shaft eliminates the noise?

Rob144
Old 09-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Did you learn of any reason why the newer shaft eliminates the noise?

Rob144
I had a drive shaft replacement in my 05 and the whine was still there - it's also there in my 06. IMO the drive shaft replacement does not address the 75 mph whine but a specific case where the drive shaft bearing goes bad and causes a different whine. I also heard the same whine in an 07 MDX Sport that I had as a loaner. I think it's just a slightly annoying characteristic of the SH-AWD system, but one that I can live with.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Part's not in yet. And you can be sure I will ask the burning technical questions on everyones' minds when I get it.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

I had the new propeller shaft installed on Friday after several weeks of delays on my part as work has been busy. Didn't post about it until today so that I could get in some proper testing. I have driven my car about 150 miles since Friday.

The "whirring" noise is gone. There's a typical automatic-transmission-type whine when I start out prior to the engine/tranny warming up, but it is different from the noise I was experiencing prior to part replacement. Will keep all posted as time goes on to let you know whether this changes. The service advisor provided no insight into the issue. My guess is that I indeed had the worn bearing problem.

Quick Reply: A-003: Whining noise at about 70 Mi/h: Acura case number