A-002: Propeller Shaft (Whine) & Differential (Whir)

Old 07-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by velobard
Our car has a driveline whine that only shows up when it's cold out when for the first mile or two in the morning. Not sure what to make of it.
I have that same problem and posted it before. I have AcuraCare, so is replacing the propeller shaft the only option? it's a tough noise to replicate at the dealer for obvious reasons.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by coreyxh
Add me to the list of people with the whine. I get it around 30-35 mph. It's unfortunate that this also has to be my first post as I bought the car about 2 weeks ago. It's winter here, I hear it everyday for a short period and after driving maybe a minute or two it goes away. I also recorded a video of the sound as to maybe help differentiate the sounds people are hearing. I'm pretty convinced, this is the bearing noise. Prior to purchasing one of these I knew buying an extended warranty would not be an option for all of the things that COULD possibly go wrong...so I do have that. I guess I now need to read my contract further, as I seem to recall seeing something about noises maybe not being covered. I currently have 81k on my 2006. I love this car, I really don't want to not love it.

Will update.

Youtube link of sound audible from start-

2006 Acura RL propeller shaft whine - YouTube
thanks for the vid, u helped me diagnose my problem!
Old 09-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Obviously, replacing whole propeller shaft is ridiculous if it's only center support bearing that's failing. Do we have any aftermarket options? I don't have this problem yet, but have had a look at it recently. Rubber part will fail one day.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has posted their experience with this issue. I just bought a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech and a week or so afterwards I noticed the propeller shaft noise. Mine sounded like a low whistle when it was below 75degrees outside, and like squealing brakes when above the 75 degree mark.

The second dealer I brought it to had the tech drive with me and replaced the shaft in under an hour! I'm looking forward to being involved on this site. You guys have all provided tons and tons of useful information for me already!
Old 12-23-2016, 05:44 AM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I post here because when considering my problem, this thread gave me guidance re. my 2006 Acura RL problem.

Over a 2 month period, a noise developed and built up. As I drove, it seemed to come from the direction midway between the middle of the rear seat and rear driver wheel. I have a professional background in dynamics testing - so this was most concerning and intriguing.

Initially, it was a droning noise, much like a plane propeller drone, that appeared at speeds 60 mph, but pronounced at 70+.. Then as time progressed, a whir sound developed at 30 mph that built up till the drone appeared at the high speed. I followed the following investigation process:

~ going into neutral, going up hills, etc. I determined it was speed related.
~ turning left or right didn't change the sound.
~ no vibration was felt in the floor, steering, etc. at the various speeds noise was heard.
~ changing traction control, etc. changed nothing.

I contemplated maybe something went wrong with a recent rear diff fluid exchange, that I was now using Michelin Primacy tires (20,000 miles on 'em) and that the RL was now 10 years old. I hoped it wasn't something major like this thread's focus on the prop shaft.

At the mechanic, with a stethoscope, one could hear there was a wheel bearing problem. But for me, this didn't explain the propeller drone noise.

Further exploring, what was also interesting was that some vibration/noise could be heard in the wheel strut. It was minor, but present, and it gave me hope. While the mechanic puzzled, I noted that the wheel strut has flexible deflectors for protection and this was where I heard the drone noise emanating from (almost too good to be true?). The compound noise might just be sourced to the wheel bearing?

Replaced the rear wheel bearing. Saved $100 by buying the part from OEMacuraparts.com. It's been some days now, all is well. It seems that the drone/droning propeller noise, giving me anxiety that this would be a major repair, may just have been those little flexible deflectors going into resonance from the wheel bearing vibration.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (12-23-2016)