A-002: Propeller Shaft (Whine) & Differential (Whir)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just purchased an '05 non-CPO with under 41k miles. I live in NJ and it's been very cold. Right at 30mph and only at 30 mph I get the whine. It goes away after a couple minutes of driving. The car is 3 months out of warranty.

How do we get Acura to to replace the propeller shaft, if that is in fact the problem, for out of warranty cars?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by poppintec
i think a recall should be issued there is way to many cases for it to be coincidental.....I also feel that it is complete bs that Acura doesn't reach it out to its flagship customers who obviously believe and invest in the brand

Does anyone know of a failed propeller shaft???
Old 01-08-2010, 10:02 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
Had my 06 RL checked at the dealer today but it was not making the whine this am. Tonight when it go colder and had sat outside for 2 hours it did. The issue is documented now. I will leave the car with them overnight soon.

30mph seems to be the sweet spot for the whine. Is there any possibility it could be the electronic noise cancellation?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Originally Posted by smd40
I just purchased an '05 non-CPO with under 41k miles. I live in NJ and it's been very cold. Right at 30mph and only at 30 mph I get the whine. It goes away after a couple minutes of driving. The car is 3 months out of warranty.

How do we get Acura to to replace the propeller shaft, if that is in fact the problem, for out of warranty cars?
Your dealer can get the District Office involved and see if they will make a goodwill concession if in fact a major part needs to be replaced. Honda Corp has a good record for this. I have owned 2 new Accords, 1 new Acura, and currently the CPO RL.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:58 AM
2005 RL black on black

I went in for an oil change ...After i read this.... i told them i was hearing some whinning noises and guess what they said!!!! i have a bad c. bearing. So they are gonna replace it. The guy told me he should have the part by next monday he told me everything is covered under warranty cost $2000..
Old 01-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The reports of this issue increase as cold weather descends upon us. Second, an influx of pre-owned RLs have become part of this forum in the past year as 05s are more readily available.

Not as many warmer climate RLs have had this issue and it seems to have been rectified somewhere in the 05-06 MY changeover. Not many 06 RLs have reported on here (compared to 05) and I do not recall any 07+ RLs reporting it (sound out if so).

I have not experienced it. But my RL is in FL and I have not been home for the reported freeze. My RL also has under 30K miles thus far.

I would like to know if anyone has determined the VIN range where the shaft bearings were changed to correct the problem?

Still, remember the drivetrain warranty is longer, and add in the mileage adjustment. Even if you just ran out of warranty coverage, I would hope Acura would make a good faith correction to those just out of warranty.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I have had both the center bearing and the rear diff replaced, but developed an even more audible whine. I can reproduce it easily at 2500-3000 rpm, anytime.

It's taken a while since I reported the problem here, but the RL is in the dealership today. I've got an 08 TL and will hear what they come up with later today, I hope.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
05 RL, 106K miles
With the colder weather, I get the whir almost everyday now. It happens from about 29mph to 32mph (very narow speed range) both speeding up and slowing down. Seems to be speed related not rpm. Goes away quickly after just a couple minutes of driving.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
My dealer thinks the whine I'm hearing is from the AEM CAI I've got installed, since it's on/off like a light switch with the throttle at the noted RPM. I'm skeptical since the arrival of the noise post-dates the install by 10 months, but I will get in there and check things.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ballinger
My dealer thinks the whine I'm hearing is from the AEM CAI I've got installed, since it's on/off like a light switch with the throttle at the noted RPM. I'm skeptical since the arrival of the noise post-dates the install by 10 months, but I will get in there and check things.
When I first heard it, it sounded like interference in the radio. The got suspicious and turned off radio to hear it. It sounds like it is coming right from the center speaker, but obviously not.
The magic temperature seems to be anything colder than about 52 degrees.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Intermediate

I live in Northern NJ and it has been in the 40's the last few days...Guess what...no whine.

It appears that around freezing (32degrees) I get the whine at 28-30mph but it goes away after a couple minutes.

Anyone else have the same experience?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by smd40
I live in Northern NJ and it has been in the 40's the last few days...Guess what...no whine.

It appears that around freezing (32degrees) I get the whine at 28-30mph but it goes away after a couple minutes.

Anyone else have the same experience?
It seems like my 06 with 42000 miles on it just developed the same symptoms. It's been warmer the last couple of days so it dissappeared. I am planning to bring it in this Sat and hopefully it'll get colder and the sound comes back and they can fix it. I am also having them check the battery as I am having problems with the tilt wheel going to its saved position after it gets started.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Cruisin'

THANK YOU stevesrl. I have had this issue on my 2005 RL for the last 20k or so miles, always complaining about this noise. Two dealers tell me they cannot replicate it, and while on a road trip this summer, a dealer just south of Reno, NV told me it was my tires.

I have an early-VIN 2005, and confirm the basics of noise reproduction: cold start, noise picks up at 30mph, dies midway, and again at higher speeds.

This is the first time I've heard of the TSB, but I intend to follow this vigorously. I will now be following this thread closely, and am happy to contribute any information about my vehicle etc. I have meticulous records. PM me if you like.

Best,
Neil
San Francisco, CA
Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Neilah,

If you have it documented (Customer states "whining sound...") on the work order, then you're covered. How many dealers are in SFO? You may want to try a different dealer.

I too had a May '05 build RL. It had the front right bearings going out along with the whine/whir sound. When I turned the car in at end of lease, it was in the shop for almost 2 weeks. (Dealers love these kind of repairs...good profit from Acura)
Old 01-20-2010, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

I have an 06 with 77k with a whine/tuning fork like noise that I will describe below:
  • is more pronounced in cold weather, possible gone during warm weather
  • usually between 31 and 34 mph when car is cold
  • between 30-33 after some driving, eventually unnoticeable if weather is warm enough
  • varies in pitch dependent on velocity
  • unaffected by gear
  • unaffected by wind speeds (ruling out wind noise)
  • seems to come from behind the center console
Some report another noise at a higher speed, I don't have this issue. I have yet to take my car to the dealer. I have some questions and would appreciate feedback if anyone has an answer.

First, is there a reversible modification I could make to the driveshaft bearing that would change its behavior so that I could isolate the problem? I thinking heating it before a drive on a cold day, lubricating it, etc.

Second, has anyone had luck getting this problem paid for even though their car was out of warranty?

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by getakey
When I first heard it, it sounded like interference in the radio. The got suspicious and turned off radio to hear it. It sounds like it is coming right from the center speaker, but obviously not.
The magic temperature seems to be anything colder than about 52 degrees.
I found that the ANC was doing a great job of covering up the sound. During my test drive with the Service advisor, I made sure to shut off the ANC in front of him.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shadrack
I have an 06 with 77k with a whine/tuning fork like noise that I will describe below:
  • is more pronounced in cold weather, possible gone during warm weather
  • usually between 31 and 34 mph when car is cold
  • between 30-33 after some driving, eventually unnoticeable if weather is warm enough
  • varies in pitch dependent on velocity
  • unaffected by gear
  • unaffected by wind speeds (ruling out wind noise)
  • seems to come from behind the center console
Some report another noise at a higher speed, I don't have this issue. I have yet to take my car to the dealer. I have some questions and would appreciate feedback if anyone has an answer.

First, is there a reversible modification I could make to the driveshaft bearing that would change its behavior so that I could isolate the problem? I thinking heating it before a drive on a cold day, lubricating it, etc.

Second, has anyone had luck getting this problem paid for even though their car was out of warranty?

Thanks.
You can try calling Acura for goodwill.... Worst thing they'll say? No.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by gbriank
Neilah,

If you have it documented (Customer states "whining sound...") on the work order, then you're covered. How many dealers are in SFO? You may want to try a different dealer.

I too had a May '05 build RL. It had the front right bearings going out along with the whine/whir sound. When I turned the car in at end of lease, it was in the shop for almost 2 weeks. (Dealers love these kind of repairs...good profit from Acura)
I have an Acura-serviced 100k mile extended warranty I got from the dealer I bought the car from (Glendale Acura), and ~80.5k miles on the car as of today.

There are several dealers in the area -- I've been to Serramonte Acura (Colma/Daly City), and I am sometimes lucky in getting good service from them.

I also lived in New Jersey for a spell with my RL, and have been to several Acura stealers^H^H^H^H^H dealers there with little joy.

I cannot remember the name of the dealer in Reno, but they were the only ones to hear the noise, despite the recommendation that it's tire noise.

I'll give Marin Acura a whirl this time around.

Last edited by neilah; 01-20-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yea man tell me about there are no good dealers in jersey....
Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Cruisin'

Sidetrack: I moved to Jersey in late '05 from California. Needed new brakes. Went to dealer in... Lambertville? 4 weeks later, rotors are all screwy. Came back, new rotors under warranty. 4 weeks later, same thing. PAID for new rotors. Dealer kept asking "are you track racing? what are you doing when you drive?" Told me that Acura rotors cannot be resurfaced, that they can only be replaced. Sure.

Lived with mild rotor shimmy for another year-ish.

Moved back to California mid-'07. Took to local dealer for new brakes, again I paid for. Rotors resurfaced.. Not a single effing peep out of my rotors in the last 2.5 years.

Don't get me started....
Old 01-27-2010, 09:19 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Failed Drive Shaft being replaced

Originally Posted by medrxman
Does anyone know of a failed propeller shaft???

I left my 2006 RL at the dealer overnight to let the car sit outside in the cold. They called this morning and did determine that the propeller/drive shaft needs to be replaced so they have ordered the parts (whine at 25-30mph when cold).

My RL CMBS is a CPO car that now has 88k miles (4k miles when I purchased in March 2008). The CPO warranty will take care of all costs!

I plan to drive this RL until about 200k. The 2010 TSX loaner is a great value for the money.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Advanced

My 05 RL recently had the propeller shaft replaced, under warranty (thankfully). Car was at the dealer for a few days, they were trying to get it to make the noise, they called me and said a handful of technicians drove the car, and heard nothing. During this time I had a 2010 TSX V6, car has good pull, but the handling sucks. The day I go to drop off the loaner and pick my car up, I road tested the car with a technician, we get literally less than 3 blocks away from the dealer and surprise surprise, there goes the noise. At first the tech said he didn't hear it, so I dropped all the windows (in 30 degree weather, wasn't raining or anything), and floored it, and he heard it, about 3 or 4 times. I asked him how did they check for the noise, on a lift? He said yes, on a lift. So, they gave me another loaner and kept my car for about a week until the parts came in, got a 09 MDX with the tech package, was a nice ride. Mind you, I asked them about the TSB, and they weren't aware of it, I would recommend anyone with this problem to print it out and take it to your dealer, and road test the car personally with a service advisor or a technician. You might have to be persistent about it, but it's worth it. That sound is annoying. So far about 4 days into it being replaced I haven't heard the noise again, did look at the invoice and it was close to a $3k repair.

If anyone is interested, we should all write a letter to Acura Client Services, we shouldn't have to fight our dealers for a warrantied repair, nor should we have to waste our time trying to describe a noise they have a TSB on.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:57 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

I am very fortunate that my servicing Acura dealer is beyond outstanding (Pohanka Acura). They are extremely competent, caring, and highly professional. I drive 50k mikes a year and have never had one disagreement or issue with them........that is why I stay with the Acura brand. I think most Acura dealers are very good, but I am sure that there are some that are not so hot.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by CadiGTi
I noticed the whine yesterday for the 1st time after my car sat in a parking lot for 2 hours. My RL made a whine for the 1st 2-3 miles between 25-30mph. Then it went away. At first I thought it was emergency vehicles off in the distance, then realized it was my car.
i just heard this noise for the first time this AM. It has been cold here lately, and my car is parked outside. cold is relative..maybe it was int he high 30s low 40s. it only happened for a mile and I noticed the sound only came on around 30mph or so...any faster it seemed to go away.

i remembered seeing a thread here about a whine and came here to read this thread...

just exactly like the above poster said he though he heard an emergency vehicle off in the distance..when I first heard my whine - it at first sounded like a siren off in the distance.... then i turned downt he radio and realized it was my car..

i'll have to talk to the dealer. i wam under factory warranty.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 PM
2005 RL black on black

My dealer is pretty good covered everything since i got my car.
Precision Acura in Robbinsville RT1 check that on out.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Out of Warranty

I purchased my car from used car dealer and when I figured that I also have the 30-40mph whining issue, my car was already over 70K miles. I did not purchase the extended warranty so does that mean dealers won't repair under good will?

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

I doubt if any new car dealer would pay $3k out of their pocket to repair a used car that they did not sell. A good dealer may refer the case to Acura's district office for possible goodwill consideration.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Safety Car

I'd like to repeat the question of whether anyone actually had the propeller shaft fail? I've seen many had it replaced under warranty, but all were based on noise.
What actually fails? The whir is at such a small speed range and then goes away.
I am well out of warranty and not anxious to shell out $3K unless I absolutely have to.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Propeller shaft replaced! Finally...

After almost 2 friggin' years, I finally got a dealer to replace my propeller shaft and bearing! Yep, took it to a total of 4 dealers (the fourth is my hero) before one would do the work under warranty or extended warranty.

I was told everything from "oh, it's nothing, it's just road noise, turn up the stereo and you won't hear it" to "you need new tires...we'd be happy to sell you some and install them today" to "I think you are over thinking (...the service advisor actually said that!) the whole thing"...

After the repair, I've finally got the car back that I really liked...smooth, quiet, powerful, etc.

FYI - the retail cost of the parts was about $1900 and the labor cost was only $99...about an hour to install (looking at the service manual (...suggest you get one if you don't have one...) it shows they had to remove right side exhaust, R/R prop shaft, reinstall exhaust.

Be persistent if you have this problem...by the way IT IS NOT a TSB that addresses this problem, it is an ACURA SERVICE BULLETIN. There is a difference!

Here's my suggested plan of attack:

Print a copy of the Service Bulletin (May 2008) that is available here on Acurazine and take it with you when you go to your dealer.

Ask the service adviser to have the mechanic come up and take a ride with you. Make sure he acknowledges that he hears the friggin' noise. The mechanic is the decision maker and is your single point failure if he cannot hear the sound! (...maybe offer him a bribe? ...just kiddin'...) My mechanic even commented that putting the car on the lift and listening for the noise could be problematic because sometimes the sound only shows up "under load"...when he said that, I swear I was going to kiss him! Finally, I found a mechanic who understood the problem!

3 days later (they had to order the parts), my car is fixed...

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2010, 03:02 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
It's not even a service bulletin but just listed on the third page of -----> AcuraServiceNews

There must be three tiers of importance, (1) Recall, (2) TSB, and (3) article in Service News. So that should answer the question of whether anyone has heard of the propeller shaft failing. The answer is no. It is simply a case of the bearing making an annoying sound when it gets cold (as stated in the news). That being said, regardless of how important Acura thinks it is, you paid for a quiet ride and thats what you should get.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:09 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

My bad...it's NOT an Acura Service Bulletin (don't think there is such a thing)...it's just the ACURA SERVICE NEWS that has a brief article on how to check the car to see if there is a problem (page 3 of the May 2008 issue)...thanks robarsan for the correction.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:58 PM
8th Gear

Stereo Whine at 1,500RPM, 5th gear

Ballinger:

I have I think a simlar case here. I swear the high-pitched whine I hear is coming from the stereo. The guys at the dealership said they have never heard of a whine coming from the stereo and claimed to not hear the sound when they test drove it. Bull...

I hear a high pitched whine at any speed from about 45-80 when I'm running at 1,500RPM with slight positive torque to either maintain speed in 5th or to accelerate slowly. Further, if you move your head around inside the cabin the noise shifts and occasionally goes away.

I will continue to scour Acurazine, which is a continual life saver, for folks with similar problems.

To note, I do have a tranny whine (much lower and less pronounced than the stereo whine described above) right at 45MPH as the dealer said I would hear and just labeled it, "typical" of RLs.

rtanton@yahoo.com for direct e-mail.

Originally Posted by Ballinger
Describe the noise and when and how it occurred. Could the noise be reproduced after 1-2 miles of driving?

The first time I went in, the noise was faint, but could hear it if I turned off the stereo and just rolled along. It was a high pitched whine.

How did the dealer determine your differential was “Tostado”?

I took it in for the whine, but I don't know what went down. They called and told me they'd checked the center diff bearing and it was fine. I asked the manager to take the car out with the stereo off, he did and then called back a few hours later with the diff judgement. I hadn't perceived any issues at all with the shifting or performance of the car.

Once the noise reoccurred (changed propeller shaft)…Was it the same noise as before or different.

Very similar, but louder.

You initially brought your car in for a noise not a differential problem. If the differential was so bad it had to be changed, I would think the car would be acting very funny especially going uphill or when hard acceleration was taking place (SH-AWD transmitting more torque to the rear end).

I agree, and I perceived no problems.

How did your dealer explain that your differential was toast but the net effect was only a simple noise? I would think a shot differential would really create problems.

No explanation.

How did your dealer distinguish the noise requiring a differential replacement and a noise requiring the propeller shaft replacement?

They put a stethoscope on the diff bearing.

Did your dealer ever say that the initial differential replacement was not the cause of the noise and it was actually the propeller shaft?

No.

Now, here's the rub: I now have a high pitched whine that's audible at freeway speeds, low speeds, virtually any speed, even with the stereo on. The car is running fine and I'm busy, so I've decided to buck up for a "Dealer Oil Change" the next time she's due and schedule them to check the whine at that time. Both prior repairs are inside the yearlong warranty zone, and I'm inside the bumper-to-bumper.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Instructor

2006 RL, 30,000 miles and prop shaft bearings shot. Noise only occurred after about 10 minutes of driving and was loudest around 35 MPH (could not hear it when the car was cold). Tech heard it immediately. Complete prop shaft assembly replaced. Car is much quieter and seems smoother (less vibration, but perhaps that is my imagination). Repair covered under warrantee. Asked how much the part cost....$1800 plus labor. Dealer customer service was exceptionally good.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jerztl
My dealer is pretty good covered everything since i got my car.
Precision Acura in Robbinsville RT1 check that on out.
Yep, they are good, it's who I use. BTW, they replaced my prop shaft bearing under warranty.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine is making the high pitched whine now, starts about 40mph and it's cold in Cleveland right now. Going to take it in to the dealer today if I can.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Okay, I have been following this thread and have an 05 (bone stock, no wheels or anything) with 77,2xx on it. I have had the cold morning whine for a while now.

I got the B16 light and yesterday I had all of my fluids changed, engine, tranny, diff, transfer. Over kill maybe, but done none the less. On an unrelated side note, I noticed the diff was very dirty and it seemed that there was some fluid seeping out, which prompted my full change, but they claimed it was not low.

I drive 10 miles after the change, then boom I hear a crazy noise, lose all rear drive and get an SH-AWD warning light. I did not lose control nor power, the car seamlessly switched to FWD only.

I head straight to the dealer (Crown Acura) and they tell me that a "sensor" has fallen off into the diff and its destroyed. They claim to have never seen this happen and have no idea what caused it.

I have a third party extended warranty (up to 100K) through Route66 so I have to wait until the adjuster comes out to see how screwed I am.

Right now the quote is 4200 for the new diff and the waiting game begins.

I will keep you guys posted as I fight through this one.

Last edited by HEAVY_RL; 02-14-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Great thread. This should be stickied..and since it seems like the symptoms are usually caused by cold weather, perhaps this thread should have a poll to see how many cases are from those states that have freezing winters compared to states like California, Arizona, Texas...etc.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Heavy RL,

Yikes that doesn't sound good. You should call Acura corporate right away and file a claim and see if you can get it covered under Acura's warranty if your 3rd party doesn't work.

On another note dealer just called me back and they are replacing the propeller shaft bearing under warranty.

I agree with this becoming stickied.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Suzuka Master

I am making those calls today WCoy, as we stand the dealer cannot determine why my car failed.

The service writer informed me that they cannot service the differentials nor open them up to trouble shoot because they are assembled by machines in the factory.

He said that all they can see is that there is fluid coming out and the code is for the Hypoic sensor so they are prompted to replace the entire assembly.

As of right now, the extended company is looking for a differential before they will approve the purchase of new parts because of the cost. I'm not sure how I feel about that, I am going to call them this morning and see what them looking for the part actually means.

More to come.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Quick update:

I spoke to customer care, the rep told me that they (both the service team and the customer care team) received specific training regarding the SH-AWD drive train and they do not service differentials.
Even after talking to the extended warranty rep, he said that he too knows they wont open them up, they just process the replacement.

So my concern that this failure could potentially happen again because no one tracked down the error and doing so is not a priority for Acura. (please share your thoughts on this) I am seriously disappointed.

As far as the extended warranty, they are going to replace the diff with a used part from an 07 with 20k miles on it. He says they do not buy the part from Acura because of the cost and because the company they use will warranty the part for 25k miles where as Acura only warranties the new part for 12k miles.
There is an option for me to cover the difference and get the new part which would be roughly $3600 dollars. Yes the warranty company is getting the used diff for $600 dollars.

I do not want a used part, but I am almost forced to go with the flow and I feel that any diff other than one from an 05 should be an upgrade.

Now on to the propeller shaft, no one I spoke to will acknowledge that this is related, but I have asked the service writer to determine if there is any play or signs of unusual wear.

Again... more to come.

Quick Reply: A-002: Propeller Shaft (Whine) & Differential (Whir)