Worn windshield weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:50 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worn windshield weatherstripping

I just picked up a 2015 Rdx and noticed that the upper windshield weatherstripping has chunks taken out of it. I could not take a good picture right now but I did find virtually the same picture online. I was wondering if anyone has replaced this before, or if anyone has any info about it from a factory service manual. I want to know if it is one single continuous piece and can it be replaced without removing the windshield? Hopefully it can be pried out and a new one pushed in. I dont want water to go in there and become trapped.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Worn windshield weatherstripping-accura-weatherstrip.jpg  
Old 07-12-2017, 04:49 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
My neighbor owns a glass company, and from replacing many windshields with him, I can tell you this is put on the glass before installation. There is a "U" shaped channel (with adhesive) that goes over the glass before it is installed. Has the windshield been replaced before? They may have tried to "re-use" the old gasketing rather that just replace it. Look at the bottom corner of the glass to see if it says "Acura" or an aftermarket name like PPG or Securit. This may give a clue as to whether or not it has been replaced.
Attached Thumbnails Worn windshield weatherstripping-images.jpeg  
Old 07-12-2017, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks, that's a help. I did stop by an auto body shop and he had said that it is also under the glass.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:10 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Piss poor design. Many Z4's suffer this issue(mine luckily has not yet) and the strip can be removed and replaced without removing the windshield.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Intermediate

My 2014 RDX has exactly the same chunks missing out of the seal. I tried to warranty repair it, but, it is part of the windshield and they said they won't replace a perfect condition windshield for worn rubber.