Windows Vent Heat Automatically?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Windows Vent Heat Automatically?

I guess this is mentioned someplace in the owner's manual but I never saw it.

I went to lunch with the bride today with the temperature hovering just over 100 degrees (Phoenix area). After lunch we returned to the RDX to discover all four windows rolled down about an inch and the moon roof tilted up. It was 113 degrees. Now that's neat! The car was trying to vent as much heat as possible before the humans returned. Now I'm curious whether everything would have closed up again if a monsoon whipped through the area with a brief heavy rain? I'll be looking that one up but who knew the RDX would react to heat this way....not me.

Cheers!
Old 06-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Are you aware of the feature that if you Press the unlock button twice within 10 seconds and hold it down the second time, the windows go down and the moonroof will open. Is it possible that you did this? I am not aware of a heat sensor that automatically opens the windows. For that matter, this could easily be a liability issue with Acura for rain or snow damage or theft.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Yes, that trick I'm aware of but thanks for the reminder. The curious thing is each of the windows was only down an inch or so and the moonroof wasn't completely open. I don't recall whether it was tilted up at the rear but when we started moving it was noisy until I hit the switch to close it. The interior panel was still closed.

I'm trying to recreate the condition now. The RDX is in the driveway, locked, outside temperature is 117. It's been sitting there more than an hour and so far..... nothing. I haven't a clue what caused the mysterious venting. I 'was' within remote range while in the restaurant.

Hopefully someone else has seen this and will offer some feedback. Otherwise it'll just go into my book as a one-time mystery.

Cheers!
Old 06-24-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the remote was accidentally triggered and held down for a little bit, causing only the windows to roll down slightly.
try the remote with the correct button combination to recreate the windows going down.
note; the windows roll down as long as the buttons are held, once let go the windows stop
Old 06-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

That must be the case Justn. I haven't been able to get it to happen again so, sorry everyone. Guess it's just inadvertent operator error, not a hidden feature after all. My bad.

Cheers!
Old 06-24-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
It happens to the best of us.
I'm a bad mechanic. So much so, instead of Justnspace, my friends call me "JustonJacks"

My car is always broken due to operator error
Old 06-24-2017, 11:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Now if this was really a feature, it would be pretty cool! But also scary! Ask mrgold35, I remember reading on here that this happened to him multiple times (only his would go all the way down). He bought a rubber keyfob case and it no longer occurs.

Just an unrelated note, VW cars are very personalize-able through a programming tool called vag-com and a bunch of people on the Touareg forum found out a way to make their cars automatically close it's windows if the rain sensing wipers detected rain. Now that is a very cool idea!