White lines on AC readout glass?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:18 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White lines on AC readout glass?

Does anybody else have this problem? I took in my 2013 RDX because the radio hard drive was making a winding down noise when I turned off the car. The dealership kindly replaced the entire radio which also houses the AC readout. Ever since the replacement, whenever sun is overhead and shines onto the dash there are white lines in the glass making it almost impossible to read the AC temps and the time. I took it back to the dealer and they ordered a new radio for me. Just before replacing the radio for the second time, somebody brought in there 2014 and 2015 RDXs for service and they also had lines on the glass, yet nobody had ever complained about it. I just can't believe nobody had noticed it before. It just can't be normal. It only occurred after my radio was replaced. At first I thought it was that they had left the thin plastic protector on the glass or it was my polarized sunglasses...... but no. After the dealership saw the other two cars, which they showed me, they said it must be a manufacturing defect and wouldn't replace the radio, assuming the new one would have the same defect. Has anybody else seen this and if so, what did you do?
Attached Thumbnails White lines on AC readout glass?-img_6163.jpg  
Old 10-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Peel off the protection film.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX2013
Does anybody else have this problem? I took in my 2013 RDX because the radio hard drive was making a winding down noise when I turned off the car. The dealership kindly replaced the entire radio which also houses the AC readout. Ever since the replacement, whenever sun is overhead and shines onto the dash there are white lines in the glass making it almost impossible to read the AC temps and the time. I took it back to the dealer and they ordered a new radio for me. Just before replacing the radio for the second time, somebody brought in there 2014 and 2015 RDXs for service and they also had lines on the glass, yet nobody had ever complained about it. I just can't believe nobody had noticed it before. It just can't be normal. It only occurred after my radio was replaced. At first I thought it was that they had left the thin plastic protector on the glass or it was my polarized sunglasses...... but no. After the dealership saw the other two cars, which they showed me, they said it must be a manufacturing defect and wouldn't replace the radio, assuming the new one would have the same defect. Has anybody else seen this and if so, what did you do?
Nope my 14 has never done this and my 17 does not have this display due to thee 2 screens.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:27 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CrimsonElan
Peel off the protection film.
Thank you for the idea. But I tried and so did the service dept. There is no protective film.

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Nope my 14 has never done this and my 17 does not have this display due to thee 2 screens.
You are lucky. Because they did show me a 2014 and 2015 with the same problem.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank you for the idea. But I tried and so did the service dept. There is no protective film.

You are lucky. Because they did show me a 2014 and 2015 with the same problem.
What is the dot below the passenger temp?
Old 10-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Are the bars there when the sun isn't shining directly on it?
Old 10-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by verpan
What is the dot below the passenger temp?
Great pickup! Never noticed it in the photo. Must be a reflection. I looked at the dash and no white dot.

Originally Posted by jcross1231
Are the bars there when the sun isn't shining directly on it?
Bars are only there when the sun is shining directly on it. If I drive or am parked in the shade (the ignition does not have to be on) there are no white lines.
It seems that there is something in the manufacturing process of the glass (?plastic) that causes the lines to appear when in direct sunlight. It didn't do it until I recently had the radio replaced. And again, the dealer showed me a 2014 and 2015 with the same problem. He had no idea why nobody else had complained. But it is very difficult to read the AC temps or time when the sun is shining directly on my dash. Quite annoying!
Old 10-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Great pickup! Never noticed it in the photo. Must be a reflection. I looked at the dash and no white dot.

Bars are only there when the sun is shining directly on it. If I drive or am parked in the shade (the ignition does not have to be on) there are no white lines.
It seems that there is something in the manufacturing process of the glass (?plastic) that causes the lines to appear when in direct sunlight. It didn't do it until I recently had the radio replaced. And again, the dealer showed me a 2014 and 2015 with the same problem. He had no idea why nobody else had complained. But it is very difficult to read the AC temps or time when the sun is shining directly on my dash. Quite annoying!
It's not just you, my 2013 RDX Tech did that from day 1. I don't remember if I ever figured out what it was - I recall looking to see if it was the refection of something and then eventually just accepting it as part of the car. I think it's an OEM issue because my car was ordered from the factory and came just like this.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:48 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I’ve never noticed it in my 2014 model but I’ll check it in direct sunlight and report back.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Comfy
I’ve never noticed it in my 2014 model but I’ll check it in direct sunlight and report back.
Have you had a chance to look yet?
I purchased my RDX in March 2013 and it didn't have the lines. Not until they replaced the radio in 2017 did the lines appear.