What type of oil is factory fill?

Old 03-01-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
What type of oil is factory fill?

Does the RDX use conventional oil from the factory? I just had the first A1 service done, and the service writer fooled my wife into getting synthetic oil. I was a bit annoyed because of the added cost, but 200 miles later I'm noticing the "AVG MPG" as reported on my gauge cluster has gone up about 1 mpg. Related?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by AmberB
Does the RDX use conventional oil from the factory? I just had the first A1 service done, and the service writer fooled my wife into getting synthetic oil. I was a bit annoyed because of the added cost, but 200 miles later I'm noticing the "AVG MPG" as reported on my gauge cluster has gone up about 1 mpg. Related?
I believe its conventional mineral oil from the factory. The improvement in MPG is more likely the engine breaking in or weather. I don't know where you live but I see a few MPG jump in mine between the 10F temps and 40F temps.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Synthetic is always better than dino oil. Better lubrication, temperature control, and last longer.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Honda does not sell a 0-20w dino oil under the Honda brand. It is either semi- or fully synthetic.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Yo AmberB, go with synthetic motor oil whenever you can. Synthetic oil doesn't break down as fast as petroleum; consequently, it lubricates better and lasts far longer. Synthetic oil after 5000 miles lubricates better than petroleum oil after 500.

As a general rule, with other factors equal, synthetic oil will double your engine life. After my 'break-in' period, I will use nothing but synthetic, for every oil change. And I'll be checking to see if there's a compatible synthetic ATF for the tranny.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
YES..the RDX leaves the factory with organic oil. Read below!
An honest tech will tell you....they have organic oil and synthetic. The vehicles leave the factory with organic oil with "special additives" to help in the engine break in process. That's why they want you to NOT change the oil until the Maint. Minder tells you too. This is a fact....take it to the bank.

Acura dealers will always try and push the bigger profit margin items....such as synthetic oil which you do NOT have to use. Honda Motor Corp. engines have gone hundreds of thousands of miles on regular oil changes with organic oil....no need to use synthetic just because you want to keep your vehicle a long time.

I have my service work on both my Acuras done at my old Honda dealer. I have 1 person that does all my work. He has every cert. that Honda has to offer. He is also the shop mgr. He even asked me....do I want non-synthetic or synthetic oil!!!!!
Now....some or most....I don't know....Acura dealers may be only buying synthetic oil so they can up their profits....so they don't even have organic oil to offer.....and then the techs come up with BS stories about it HAS to have synthetic, etc.

Change your oil as required along with the filter and if you choose to use organic 0W20 for years....you will have no issues. That's from Acura and Honda....if you don't believe me. But, asking a tech...well you will get all kinds of "stories"....mainly so they can sell the more costly synthetic oil. I only use organic oil....the weight the factory says....my engines don't burn oil and of course there are no "problems" because I do what the factory designed in the first place. Yes, engines do "use" some oil, and when the service minder says you are at 15% and the mileage may be around 6,000 miles or so on the oil....yes, you may have used a 1/2 quart or so. No big deal

I remember some years ago....many engines were designed to use/burn a quart every 1,000 miles or so. They engines were "loose" when built new.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 03-01-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
YES..the RDX leaves the factory with organic oil. Read below!
An honest tech will tell you....they have organic oil and synthetic. The vehicles leave the factory with organic oil with "special additives" to help in the engine break in process. That's why they want you to NOT change the oil until the Maint. Minder tells you too. This is a fact....take it to the bank.

Acura dealers will always try and push the bigger profit margin items....such as synthetic oil which you do NOT have to use. Honda Motor Corp. engines have gone hundreds of thousands of miles on regular oil changes with organic oil....no need to use synthetic just because you want to keep your vehicle a long time.

I have my service work on both my Acuras done at my old Honda dealer. I have 1 person that does all my work. He has every cert. that Honda has to offer. He is also the shop mgr. He even asked me....do I want non-synthetic or synthetic oil!!!!!
Now....some or most....I don't know....Acura dealers may be only buying synthetic oil so they can up their profits....so they don't even have organic oil to offer.....and then the techs come up with BS stories about it HAS to have synthetic, etc.

Change your oil as required along with the filter and if you choose to use organic 0W20 for years....you will have no issues. That's from Acura and Honda....if you don't believe me. But, asking a tech...well you will get all kinds of "stories"....mainly so they can sell the more costly synthetic oil. I only use organic oil....the weight the factory says....my engines don't burn oil and of course there are no "problems" because I do what the factory designed in the first place. Yes, engines do "use" some oil, and when the service minder says you are at 15% and the mileage may be around 6,000 miles or so on the oil....yes, you may have used a 1/2 quart or so. No big deal

I remember some years ago....many engines were designed to use/burn a quart every 1,000 miles or so. They engines were "loose" when built new.

Hope this helps!
Agree. I've never used synthetic oil in any of my vehicles and I have kept several over 150K miles without a problem. I'm not saying I will never use synthetic but as of right now the "need" is not there unless the manufacturer actually calls for it. Just how long do most of us plan on driving these vehicles? If you know that you are going to put 200k plus on it then maybe, just maybe, it may be worth using synthetic. At my rate I would have to keep a vehicle 20 years to put that many miles on and that ain't gonna happen.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ Same with me..I keep my vehicle on average about 3 years.....mileage by the end of the lease, about 30 000 to 35 000 km (18 000 to 21 000 miles).
Old 03-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, if you typically sell your car early - say within 5 years or 75,000 miles, you won't likely need to worry about the advantages of synthetic lubricants. But if you're like me, and tend to drive your cars for 150-200K or longer, go with synthetic. The additional cost at each oil change is insignificant/ and your engine will last.

Of course, if you'd rather purchase cars more often (and bump up your dealer's profit margins), don't worry about it. Check any evaluation of synthetic lubes vs organic/petroleum. The advantages are clear.