What new technology feature do you surprisingly use a lot on the RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
What new technology feature do you surprisingly use a lot on the RDX?

I've found that I've been using the lane keep assist a lot for highway driving. It doesn't work that well in the rain, but in other weather it's pretty decent and gives me more confidence during highway driving. Heavy winds seems to move this vehicle a bit so the lane keep assist also helps with that.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I use the adaptive cruise a lot and have turned off all the other tech.Way too sensitive and annoying..
Old 05-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I use both of the above features and find them useful. I had a TL loaner without the adaptive cruise control and I missed it.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I love the ACC and LKAS on long freeway jaunts! Also enjoy the blind spot monitors: Was getting ready to change lanes to my right, turned the signal on after a brief glance and it lit up and beeped at me...a closer look showed a Subaru BRZ right in my blind spot and keeping pace with me.

Happy with them all.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I love all the tech my 2016 RDX Advance comes with but one thing that I thought I wouldn’t care much for is the backup camera. I was wrong! My RDX is the first car I’ve ever had with a backup camera and now I can’t ever imagine having a car without it. So very useful.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A feature I find very useful are the parking sensors along with the backup camera.

Handy when city parking in tight parallel spaces after a Prius pulls out with a couple of motorcycles already parked at the rear in front of a crowded outdoor cafe.

I would of loved the wave your feet to open the rear hatch feature.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would agree, first car I've had with a back-up camera and I'm probably going to add it to my 06 tsx because of how convenient it is.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
If I wanted new tech I would get a CR-V...or better yet an Outback
Old 05-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Both the CRV and Outback are good vehicles. If you buy them fully loaded, they cost almost as much as the more refined Acura RDX.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

a RDX is not more refined compared to an Outback especially when it comes to AWD performance and safety features... Nice try though
Old 05-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
a RDX is not more refined compared to an Outback especially when it comes to AWD performance and safety features... Nice try though
Thank you
Old 05-16-2017, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

If you look at the vehicle overall, the RDX is more refined. Fully loaded, it has more features and tech than the Outback and the engine is more powerful. A fully loaded Outback is very near to the price of the RDX. For my money, it's the RDX.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
ACC is my favorite. But I also appreciate the Blind Spot warning, the rear camera, alerts when parking, and occasionally the LKAS.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:12 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

For sure their 4WD is better than RDX. I stayed away from the Outback because of the oil consumption issue with their 2.5L engine. They have fewer tech toys than RDX (eg. ventilated seats, power fold mirrors...).
Old 05-17-2017, 06:43 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny Boy
For sure their 4WD is better than RDX. I stayed away from the Outback because of the oil consumption issue with their 2.5L engine. They have fewer tech toys than RDX (eg. ventilated seats, power fold mirrors...).
I came from an impreza and i did have oil consumption issues with the 2.0 engine. They did take care of it and gave me a new short block that didnt burn oil but jumping through the loops was a pain in the butt (they lost a lawsuite). The outback is a nicer car than the impreza so im sure most of my interior rattles and annoyances wouldn't translate. They are great to drive in terrible weather, a well planted vehicle.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:16 AM
Instructor

If I wanted new tech I would get a CR-V...or better yet an Outback
Checked out the new CRV...not bad; however, even with a few more bells/whistles and tech features, was not impressed with the powertrain at all....now, a new outback with the 6 cylinder....hmmmmm...
Old 05-17-2017, 05:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by auskip07
I came from an impreza and i did have oil consumption issues with the 2.0 engine. They did take care of it and gave me a new short block that didnt burn oil but jumping through the loops was a pain in the butt (they lost a lawsuite). The outback is a nicer car than the impreza so im sure most of my interior rattles and annoyances wouldn't translate. They are great to drive in terrible weather, a well planted vehicle.
You are quite correct about the oil burning issues. My son bought a 2013 Outback Manual, with 113,000 KMs on it (65,000 miles). The thing went about 1200 KMs, (700 miles), before it needed oil. Bought it at a Subaru dealer and they had to know and they did not tell us. Anyway the shortblock was eventually replaced. I can tell you, as much as I like the Outback, I would never touch a Subaru now. The boxer engines are notorious for oil useage. Any Honda I have had, I have never had this problem. As for the suggestion the Outbacks are as refined as the RDX, please. Not even in the same class, even the V6 loaded Outbacks, with the exception of the AWD, but I have no complaints with my RDX AWD.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One addition to all the answers above. We weren't planning on buying a 2016 Advanced but, due to color options and availability, we went for one. The Advanced has electrochromatic side and rearview mirrors that auto darken at night. I considered the feature a gimmick but now, having used it for a year, I would want it in my next car. No more blinding headlight glares, which makes driving safer at night. In a normal rearview mirror, you could simply flip the angle, but you'd still be blinded by the side mirror glares.

As for the Outback, we cross-shopped it with the RDX. I liked it a lot but had 2 major concerns, one of which was the oil consumption. The other was the front windows whistling problem some 2016's had. Also, the integrated roof rack had a "rubber skirt" that looked flabby and badly designed. This combined with the anemic V6 and the CVT trans checked too many negatives for me. I still would have bought one just for the AWD, but my wife preferred the RDX and we live in sunny SoCal so that was it. But yeah, except for the AWD, the RDX is easily more refined than the Outback.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rockyboy
If you look at the vehicle overall, the RDX is more refined. Fully loaded, it has more features and tech than the Outback and the engine is more powerful. A fully loaded Outback is very near to the price of the RDX. For my money, it's the RDX.
didn't want to have to do this but you leave me no choice

Instrument cluster of 2017 RDX

vs.
2017 Outback

you were saying something about refinement? That type of cluster has been available starting back in 2013 on the Limited trims and became standard in 2015.... and to add to that, that cluster is actually secured by 4 screws and the plastic surround is secured by 3 screws

2013 Outback Limited cluster
Old 05-19-2017, 04:01 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDX cluster looks clean!

Yes outback, we alllll knoowww you are going 25 mph.Don't have to tell us 3 times.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I use to use LKAS and Adaptive Cruise Control on my 2016 Acura RDX "Technology" with 7800 miles, however neither seem to work properly any longer. I can do without the LKAS, however not having cruise work properly is a real pain in the touche! Other electronics like Blind Spot Indicator (BSI), and Lane Departure Warning (LDW) operate fine. I love the vehicle however right now it is only OK to drive around town. Have an appointment at the dealership in 10 days time. (Perhaps I should have bought that Audi Q5!!)
Old 05-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FreddyBeach
I use to use LKAS and Adaptive Cruise Control on my 2016 Acura RDX "Technology" with 7800 miles, however neither seem to work properly any longer. I can do without the LKAS, however not having cruise work properly is a real pain in the touche! Other electronics like Blind Spot Indicator (BSI), and Lane Departure Warning (LDW) operate fine. I love the vehicle however right now it is only OK to drive around town. Have an appointment at the dealership in 10 days time. (Perhaps I should have bought that Audi Q5!!)
Let us know what the dealer says....I wonder if there is an issue with the sensor, itself...
Old 05-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Drifting

didn't want to have to do this but you leave me no choice

Instrument cluster of 2017 RDX

vs.
2017 Outback

you were saying something about refinement? That type of cluster has been available starting back in 2013 on the Limited trims and became standard in 2015.... and to add to that, that cluster is actually secured by 4 screws and the plastic surround is secured by 3 screws

2013 Outback Limited cluster

The RDX does not have as colourful a gauge cluster, but to me, it is cleaner and classier. Now, I have a 2017 Elite model (Advance in the USA), and you are not showing what can be in the centre gauge screen, for instance it does not show the adaptive cruise control with the speed, navi subscreen when in use, lane assist etc. I have driven a V6 Outback, loaded, you simply cannot compare the Outbacks poor navi. The RDX is a way better setup to the interior, IMHO. Additionally with the oil burning crap, would not touch a Subaru with a 10 foot pole.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doobiewah
Let us know what the dealer says....I wonder if there is an issue with the sensor, itself...
Well guys, you probably are going to be surprised what caused my Adaptive Cruise Control and the LKAS to stop working properly. Bugs!! Frigging bugs! The day I was doing the highway driving the bugs were so bad that it sounded like hail hitting the vehicle. Evidently a couple of them hit the windshield right in front of the camera lens. I guess the camera was telling the computer that I was about to drive off into oblivion!! Tis the bug season so I will just carry a bottle of water and a couple of paper towels in the centre console in case this happens again. On a positive note I am glad that there was nothing wrong with my RDX because I love the ride, the technology, the size and just everything about it. I now have 4 coats of wax on my white with black interior RDX. Recently added lower door chrome trim and am liking the look. Now have approximately $5000 in Acura options.
The following users liked this post:
Doobiewah (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 06:03 PM
Advanced

Safety Technology

One safety feature I like on my Canadian 2016 RDX - Tech is the rain sensing wipers and the Auto headlight features. If both are set at "Auto" and it starts to rain, when the wipers come on so do the headlights. I can only assume that when it stops raining and the wipers stop, the headlights also turn off. I read recently that at least one state is going to require this safety feature to be standard on all vehicles sold in that state, but the Acura RDX offers it now!
Old 05-31-2017, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Safety Technology

One safety feature I like on my Canadian 2016 RDX - Tech is the rain sensing wipers and the Auto headlight features. If both are set at "Auto" and it starts to rain, when the wipers come on so do the headlights. I can only assume that when it stops raining and the wipers stop, the headlights also turn off. I read recently that at least one state is going to require this safety feature to be standard on all vehicles sold in that state, but the Acura RDX offers it now!
Old 06-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Good point. The Acura RDX has a bunch of nice features that you sometimes forget about because they're automated and their are so many. I like how the sideview mirror tilts down when you back up, and how when you back up with the front wipers on, the rear wiper will automatically wipe as you're reversing. Also, the autodimming rearview and sideview mirrors is great, really prevents glare.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:34 AM
Advanced

Yes, rocky boy I do agree with you. Those tilt down dise view mirrors are saving my wheels form some curb rash. I am also finding that those electric folding side door mirrors are handy when parking in narrow parking spaces. Seems more and more like shopping centre parking spaces are being calibrated for Hona Civics and Toyota Corollas
Old 06-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
I am also finding that those electric folding side door mirrors are handy when parking in narrow parking spaces.
Are the power folding mirrors only available on a certain trim level, in certain countries or....something? My RDX is supposed to have every bell/whistle available and yet, no power folding mirrors. They show up in the owner's manual but with an asterisk (if equipped).

Cheers!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:14 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gadgetjq
Are the power folding mirrors only available on a certain trim level, in certain countries or....something? My RDX is supposed to have every bell/whistle available and yet, no power folding mirrors. They show up in the owner's manual but with an asterisk (if equipped).

Cheers!
Yes, power folding mirrors are standard on the Canadian "Tech" and "Elite" ("advance" in USA) models. It would be interesting to know why Honda/ Acura, who makes all the American and Canadian RDX's in the USA, adds and deletes options depending on which country the vehicle will be sold. For instance, the Canadian RDX 'Tech' model come standard with heated rear seats, auto car starter and power folding mirrors where as in the USA buyers have to purchase the 'Advance' model to get those. USA models are less expensive, however the more expensive Canadian models come standard with AWD and the full AcuraWatch package. Almost have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to keep it all straightened out!
Old 06-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Last edited by colt427; 06-04-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gadgetjq

Cheers!
From what I understand (at least for the 2016 models), the powerfolding mirrors were available in Canadian RDX's but not American. It seems the Canadian trims got slightly more features, maybe the luxury car market here is more competitive.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
From what I understand (at least for the 2016 models), the powerfolding mirrors were available in Canadian RDX's but not American.
And we have a winner. After asking the question I did some research and discovered the power folding mirrors are only available in Canadian and RDX's destined for some other markets (Russia for example) but aren't available on any U.S. versions. Maybe next year

Cheers!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Yes, power folding mirrors are standard on the Canadian "Tech" and "Elite" ("advance" in USA) models. It would be interesting to know why Honda/ Acura, who makes all the American and Canadian RDX's in the USA, adds and deletes options depending on which country the vehicle will be sold. For instance, the Canadian RDX 'Tech' model come standard with heated rear seats, auto car starter and power folding mirrors where as in the USA buyers have to purchase the 'Advance' model to get those. USA models are less expensive, however the more expensive Canadian models come standard with AWD and the full AcuraWatch package. Almost have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to keep it all straightened out!
There is a very long thread on the Honda Ridgeline 2G forum about this....and it is pretty funny to read some of the comments, too. The Canadian models get a list of small items not available on any trim for the US models, both made on the exact same assembly line. One small example would the those same folding mirrors, along with the Canadians getting ventilated seats, too. You'd think that these smaller items would at least be available on some high end package for the US, but, nope. Seems kinda silly; however, who knows how bean counters work.