Using Fog Lights as Daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:55 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using Fog Lights as Daytime running lights

I recently got a 2014 RDX tech and i am thinking about using the fog lights as DRL so I can use a whiter lights on the fogs.

Does anyone have experience with this wiring process or what needs to be done?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I have a 2014 and as far as I know, the DTR's are only on in the daytime, and they switch off when it gets dark and the HIDs take over. If this is the case (pls confirm), i don't see why you couldn't just do the following:

1. Unplug the connector from the back of the DTRs as well as the fog lights. .
2. Using an ohmmeter, confirm that there is less than 1 ohm between the ground wire for the DTR and the ground wire for the fog.
2. Using proper connection techniques, (like soldering, do not use those little plastic snap-down tee connectors or butt splices that you crimp) patch into the +12 volt wire at (or close to) the DTR connector and run a new wire (16-18 gauge) to the +12 volt wire on the fog light, patching into it..
3. Repeat for the other side and leave the connectors on the back of the DTRs disconnected.

Now if I was doing this, I would first confirm how much current is drawn by the DTRs and compare that to the current drawn by the fogs. (You can also compare power ratings for the bulbs) If the fogs draw more current by ...lets say 20% or more, (or 20% more wattage if comparing power rating) then you run the risk of overheating the wiring that was going to the DTRs or exceeding the current rating for the relay that energizes them, so, do not do it.

if all this seems like mumbo-jumbo, or you are not comfortable working with wiring connections, ignore and forget about a DIY approach.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:59 AM
8th Gear

Thanks Skidoor. If I am going to switch it, I will put LED bulbs in the fogs so it will draw less than Halogen while still meeting the LED's requirement. Because the fog is low and has a cutoff it won't blind drivers.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Racer

Does anyone know of a replacement LED lamp for the DTR light bulbs? Hoping for something that looks a little bluish. (This is for a 2014)
Old 05-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Racer

I just discovered that the DTRs on my 2014 also serve as the high beams. Doh!
Old 05-03-2017, 03:22 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Skidoor
I just discovered that the DTRs on my 2014 also serve as the high beams. Doh!
Yeah, that's the reason why I looked into the option of having fog light as daytime running light.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Racer

My Murano used the fogs as the DTRs which they did like that for a year or 2.
I may get the blue LED upgrades that are available for the DTR/high beams if I can just swap the lamps, I saw something about a possible wiring kit that may be needed, I still need to check into that.

So are you still going to try to switch to the fogs?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:47 AM
8th Gear

I am leaning towards leaving the stock halogen in for high beam and DRL because LED light causes a lot of diffused light and foreground light in a halogen housing.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:18 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Puni
Thanks Skidoor. If I am going to switch it, I will put LED bulbs in the fogs so it will draw less than Halogen while still meeting the LED's requirement. Because the fog is low and has a cutoff it won't blind drivers.
I am interested to see how it turns out. My concern is that putting an LED bulb in the housing meant for halogen (in fogs) could mean completely different light pattern and / no cut off and may blind the oncoming drivers.
As far as the high beam is concerned I don't think there is any aftermarket LED light bulb currently available which would work as replacement for the factory halogens (in terms of beam pattern/ safety and ability to see as designed).
Old 05-08-2017, 09:36 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Comfy
I am interested to see how it turns out. My concern is that putting an LED bulb in the housing meant for halogen (in fogs) could mean completely different light pattern and / no cut off and may blind the oncoming drivers.
As far as the high beam is concerned I don't think there is any aftermarket LED light bulb currently available which would work as replacement for the factory halogens (in terms of beam pattern/ safety and ability to see as designed).
yes, so i have given up on the DRL / high beam LED option. I will test the Fog led to see if the light is downward enough.

I will share my findings once I gave it a try.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Racer

For the 2014 RDX I did find LED lamps as a replacement for the DTR/high beam bulbs but you also have to add a small wiring harness with some hi-wattage resistors which need to be mounted on something metal to dissipate the heat.. = no thanks... :-)
Old 05-08-2017, 05:03 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

For the 2014 RDX I did find LED lamps as a replacement for the DTR/high beam bulbs but you also have to add a small wiring harness with some hi-wattage resistors which need to be mounted on something metal to dissipate the heat.. = no thanks... :-)
Can you post a picture of the light pattern on a vertical wall 25 feet and 100 feet away at night. It would be awesome if you can do that with one side still on the original halogens to make it a sort of valid comparison.
Of course you can find plenty of LED bulbs to fit the housing and work, but the important aspect is light pattern which I'm skeptical about. If it can replicate the OEM halogen pattern or even better it, I'm all for it. So far no one has posted a comparable picture even though many have claimed that the light and visibility is better.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Racer

Sorry, maybe I wasn't too clear, I didn't install this, I just found the kits online.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Can you post a picture of the light pattern on a vertical wall 25 feet and 100 feet away at night. It would be awesome if you can do that with one side still on the original halogens to make it a sort of valid comparison.
Of course you can find plenty of LED bulbs to fit the housing and work, but the important aspect is light pattern which I'm skeptical about. If it can replicate the OEM halogen pattern or even better it, I'm all for it. So far no one has posted a comparable picture even though many have claimed that the light and visibility is better.
I replaced my wife's halogen DRLs with high power LEDs. Im not going to lie, the light throw is not as bad as I thought it was going to be, and it is a heck of a LOT brighter than the halogens. Even more so when you hit the high beams.

That said, I never took a before shot, so I cant compare it. and before the pro-OEM-or-nothing posters come in and say that the housing wasnt designed for LED - yes I know, yes it diffuses the light all over the place and yes its not a good factory replacement and it would have been technically better to leave the halogen in the housing. Heck I have HIDs on the fogs so I've heard the same shebang before.

But my wife wanted to get rid of the yellow DRL, and being a light nut myself, I didnt hesitate to do my research and found one that was a direct fit, no splicing, no resistors, etc. essentially plug and play. AND you don't lose high beam functionality.

Pros - it definitely is brighter and throws out more light than the reflector can handle. during the day, it looks like the RDX has HIDs on the DRL sockets. It's THAT bright.
Cons - well it wasnt designed for it, so its stupid bright. plus it was expensive. but imo its worth it.

I will try and take pics later and post it here.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Racer

I couldn't resist the same urge. Ordered LEDs on eBay for my DRLs the other day, and they also are advertised as not needing resistors etc etc. and will not throw a code or flicker etc.

​​​​​​
Old 05-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Drifting

I couldn't resist the same urge. Ordered LEDs on eBay for my DRLs the other day, and they also are advertised as not needing resistors etc etc. and will not throw a code or flicker etc.

​​​​​​
The ones I got plug onto a small module similar to the slim ballast on an HID kit. does yours have the same? if its just a bulb by itself it wont be as bright most likely.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
The ones I got plug onto a small module similar to the slim ballast on an HID kit. does yours have the same? if its just a bulb by itself it wont be as bright most likely.
Mine appear to have a small black module mounted on tbe back of the lamp with a pigtail cable coming off that. The ad photos​ dont show what is on the other end of the cable so I also ordered a connector
just in case. If I wasnt on my mobile I would post the link to the ad.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:40 PM
8th Gear

sixsixfour, would you be able to share the one you got with me? I might give it a shot as well.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Puni
sixsixfour, would you be able to share the one you got with me? I might give it a shot as well.

Thanks.
certainly.

this is what I got for my wife:

DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting

The following users liked this post:
Puni (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 12:57 PM
8th Gear

Thanks! This is great!
Old 05-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Drifting

you're welcome!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:09 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Before any of you install the bulbs...please please please take comparable pictures (before and after) of your halogen bulbs and LEDs...... not looking at the car from a distance (yes I've seen so many people do that ) but facing forwards at the light pattern on a vertical wall 25ft, and 100 ft away ... preferable one side still halogen for the best comparison....
Any other opinions and pictures are also welcome. .
Old 05-21-2017, 11:21 PM
Drifting

Ok so here are the pics I promised.

I shot these, especially the two that show both regular and high beam on, at the same ISO, shutter speed and aperture so its as close to an actual comparison as you can get.

here is an upfront shot:

front quarter view:

this is the actual range. that distance to the trailer is about 3 houses down. so maybe 70 to 90 feet? didn't really measure but the houses should give some distance perception.

this is at regular power, with the engine on and the DRL running as designed. both this and the high beam shot were both shot with the same settings of 1/25 second at F/2.8 ISO 6400 at 17mm

this is with the LED DRL switched on the high beam mode. note the huge difference in brightness.

Last edited by sixsixfour; 05-21-2017 at 11:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sixsixfour:
auskip07 (05-22-2017), Skidoor (05-22-2017)