Upgrading base 2013 RDX halogen headlights to HID

Old 03-21-2016, 01:07 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InfamousJamous
HIDs and (SH)AWD should be standard! Glad I got an '07.
Absolutely NOT for SH-AWD! 2WD only for me, I don't need to waste money on a heavier car, expensive rear differential fluid replacement, extra gas and a higher purchase cost. I feel sad I bought AWD '14, I wish it was 2WD.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I just want to ask, are we mixing up halogen projectors with reflectors?

In my experience, I have never ever been blinded by people who put hid bulbs in cars with projectors that I know never had factory hid's. For example 2011 kia sorento or 2007-2012 hyundai santa fe. I understand that halogen projectors don't function like hid projectors, but they won't blind anyone (IME). Like big douce bag pickup truck drivers.

IME all that happens when people put hid bulbs in halogen projectors is that you get a dimmer light. The light is never as bright as a true hid projector would b and the beam pattern is sort of low and muddied vs wide and bright. But this is just me.

Lol for what its worth, I get flashed every once in a while because the lights on my rdx are absolutely ridiculously good. They are aimed properly, I have checked. Just really really bright!
Perhaps. Not sure if the OP was referring to halogen reflectors or halogen projectors. If the latter. It isn't as bad.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:03 PM
3rd Gear

My friend's 2015 RDX has halogen projectors and looking at the back cover, the wiring from the bulb that goes through the cover into the car's wiring changes from H11 (at the bulb) to something else. Are the 2013 headlights the same way? If so, how did these places install the HID kit? Can someone with their conversion post pics of the install (especially the back cover and wiring into the car)?
Old 01-07-2021, 08:58 PM
7th Gear

2013 RDX Halogen Low Beam

Its been a while since anyone has posted on this thread. The Halogen low beam headlamps on my 2013 RDX AWD are both barely projecting light at night anymore. I thought now that I need to replace them it might be a good time to consider upgrading. Does anyone have any recommendations? I just want to have a nice bright light at night without a big modification.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:42 AM
alexmed2002

Received 137 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by SoyRDX
Its been a while since anyone has posted on this thread. The Halogen low beam headlamps on my 2013 RDX AWD are both barely projecting light at night anymore. I thought now that I need to replace them it might be a good time to consider upgrading. Does anyone have any recommendations? I just want to have a nice bright light at night without a big modification.
Honestly I would suggest Philips CrystalVision Ultra bulbs. They've been great in my vehicles that I've previously owned that were halogen based, and look very white rather than orange and old. Typically it's not always a great idea to put LEDs in a headlight assembly that was built for halogen bulbs because the light pattern can get thrown off. You may want to check and see if your headlights aren't clouded or faded, especially inside the assembly near the lenses that the light comes out of.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:56 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Honestly I would suggest Philips CrystalVision Ultra bulbs. They've been great in my vehicles that I've previously owned that were halogen based, and look very white rather than orange and old. Typically it's not always a great idea to put LEDs in a headlight assembly that was built for halogen bulbs because the light pattern can get thrown off. You may want to check and see if your headlights aren't clouded or faded, especially inside the assembly near the lenses that the light comes out of.
Alex, thank for your response on the Ultra bulbs. I don't think its clouding or fading of the assembly because the High beam are very bright. Maybe that is an incorrect assumption by me. I've read a lot of information on what can cause dim headlamps from bad wiring to moisture or cloudiness in the lenses and thought I would start with changing the bulbs since they are old. Did you consider HID?
Old 01-08-2021, 02:25 PM
alexmed2002

Alex, thank for your response on the Ultra bulbs. I don't think its clouding or fading of the assembly because the High beam are very bright. Maybe that is an incorrect assumption by me. I've read a lot of information on what can cause dim headlamps from bad wiring to moisture or cloudiness in the lenses and thought I would start with changing the bulbs since they are old. Did you consider HID?
HIDs are going to possibly have the same issue as LEDs. Once again the light pattern can get thrown off due to the assemblies being designed for halogen bulbs. Some people say they have no issues with throwing LEDs or HIDs in their halogen based headlights, but I stick with bulbs are correctly made for the vehicle. Are your projectors still working fine? They are what the light comes out of for the low beams, and I added a picture as to what they look like.

A headlight projector in action.

Last edited by Alex Medeiros; 01-08-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:43 AM
7th Gear

I think I have the standard model RDX because my low beams do not have the projectors in your picture or at least my bulbs are not bright enough to see them. Here is a picture of my low beams

Old 01-12-2021, 02:18 PM
alexmed2002

The picture I used was just an example off a random car, and yes you are correct about having a base model. If you look at the lens of the projector in your picture, you can see that it is very cloudy and appears to have some gunk in it or something. You'd most likely need to replace the headlight assembly. It seems like this is a very common issue on the Halogen equipped RDXs.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:33 AM
7th Gear

Alex, Thanks again for your feedback. If I search for the replacement assemblies the price ranges from $250-$650 for the pair. I know that you usually get what you pay for, but does anyone have any suggestions on what I should or shouldn't be looking for? I obviously don't want to go through the process of changing these out and have the same issue in a year due to a cheap replacement. Can anyone recommend any sites or price range?
Old 01-18-2021, 01:29 PM
alexmed2002

Alex, Thanks again for your feedback. If I search for the replacement assemblies the price ranges from $250-$650 for the pair. I know that you usually get what you pay for, but does anyone have any suggestions on what I should or shouldn't be looking for? I obviously don't want to go through the process of changing these out and have the same issue in a year due to a cheap replacement. Can anyone recommend any sites or price range?
1A Auto is great for headlights. Obviously the OEM headlights are gonna be the best in terms of knowing what you're getting out of the box. The biggest pain for you will be aiming the headlights correctly, so maybe you should have a mechanic do that part for you.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:31 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the output from the factory halogen bulbs.

This is the output with aftermarket 5500k Morimoto HID bulbs.

This is on a 2013 base
Old 01-23-2021, 12:32 PM
7th Gear

Zune HD thanks for a different perspective and pictures. Are the Morimoto HID bulbs play and play or will I need to do modifications? If I do install the Morimotos, do you think I still need to replace the headlamp assemblies? Just weighing all my options.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
@SoyRDX yeah I have had these for about 3 years now with no issues. If you upgrade from halogen to HID bulbs you will need ballasts to power the bulbs and I also used an HID relay wiring harness which is getting power directly from the battery and you won't have any flickering issues. And this is with the factory headlight housings. There was some discussion on here about swapping out the headlight assembly but I don't think that is necessary. My light output and cutoff are great with the base halogen headlight assembly.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:10 PM
7th Gear

I heard from my mechanic today and the inner lenses are ruined so the whole headlight assemblies need to be replaced for both. The quote for certified or dealer replacements installed is close to $2,000. Does anyone have any suggestions for decent aftermarket assemblies they've used and from where? I know Alex suggested 1-A Auto and I will look there. I am hoping I can get a pair for around $600 or less and they'll last for 4 or 5 years.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

I heard from my mechanic today and the inner lenses are ruined so the whole headlight assemblies need to be replaced for both. The quote for certified or dealer replacements installed is close to $2,000. Does anyone have any suggestions for decent aftermarket assemblies they've used and from where? I know Alex suggested 1-A Auto and I will look there. I am hoping I can get a pair for around $600 or less and they'll last for 4 or 5 years.
Were you using HID bulbs or aftermarket bulbs in there? There has to be a reason for the failure.. That's why I always cringe when I see people suggesting to put HId bulbs into halogen projector/reflectors like everything will be okay. There's always going to be down stream implications.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:16 PM
alexmed2002

Originally Posted by thoiboi
There has to be a reason for the failure.. That's why I always cringe when I see people suggesting to put HId bulbs into halogen projector/reflectors like everything will be okay. There's always going to be down stream implications.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:52 PM
7th Gear

My car has always had halogen bulbs in it and never HID. As for a reason for the failure, this forum has multiple posts regarding this issue explaining how this is common with Acuras between 2012-2016.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-...emoval-975484/
Old 01-29-2021, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

My car has always had halogen bulbs in it and never HID. As for a reason for the failure, this forum has multiple posts regarding this issue explaining how this is common with Acuras between 2012-2016.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-...emoval-975484/

You just had the stock OEM bulbs, or did you do like some and get "Silverstar Ultras" in it?
Old 02-02-2021, 08:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been having issues with my headlights since I bought this car two years ago. Halogen lights are very dim and the driver's side is a lot dimmer than the passenger's side. I took my car to a place that specializes in cleaning headlights and they did a great job restoring them, but the headlights remain dim. I replaced the halogens with silverstar ultras and that made no difference.... the driver's side was still dimmer than the passenger's side. I tried replacing the halogens with HeadlightExperts LEDs (recommended by Poolman in another thread) and those were even worse in the dark/rain than the halogens. I'm starting to think I might have an electrical problem.... waiting to hear back from the shop on that this week
Old 02-02-2021, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kernel_panic
I've been having issues with my headlights since I bought this car two years ago. Halogen lights are very dim and the driver's side is a lot dimmer than the passenger's side. I took my car to a place that specializes in cleaning headlights and they did a great job restoring them, but the headlights remain dim. I replaced the halogens with silverstar ultras and that made no difference.... the driver's side was still dimmer than the passenger's side. I tried replacing the halogens with HeadlightExperts LEDs (recommended by Poolman in another thread) and those were even worse in the dark/rain than the halogens. I'm starting to think I might have an electrical problem.... waiting to hear back from the shop on that this week

Nope, if no bulbs fix the problem, then chances are it's the internals of the headlight that have failed. headlights have reflective material in the bowl. Over time, bad bulbs can contaminate that material and cause it to no longer reflect properly (it could be soot, it could be burnt off completely). Outside of taking the entire headlight apart to replace the bowl, your best bet is probably to replace the headlight assembly.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:15 PM
Cruisin'

Nope, if no bulbs fix the problem, then chances are it's the internals of the headlight that have failed. headlights have reflective material in the bowl. Over time, bad bulbs can contaminate that material and cause it to no longer reflect properly (it could be soot, it could be burnt off completely). Outside of taking the entire headlight apart to replace the bowl, your best bet is probably to replace the headlight assembly.
You (and the others who mentioned this) were right, the technician determined that the driver's side headlight assembly has failed and will require replacement. My options were either $1000+ to replace the driver's side headlight assembly using factory OEM parts, or supply my own parts and just pay them for labor. I ended up ordering THIS TYC CAPA certified part for $320 shipped and will have them replace it next week once the part is delivered.

Should I get LEDs installed as well? Or do you guys think the headlight assembly replacement alone will improve lighting considerably?
Old 02-02-2021, 06:42 PM
alexmed2002

Should I get LEDs installed as well? Or do you guys think the headlight assembly replacement alone will improve lighting considerably?
For the love of god, please don't put LED or Xenon bulbs in a Halogen headlight assembly!!! The new assembly alone will make a huge difference.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:02 PM
Cruisin'

For the love of god, please don't put LED or Xenon bulbs in a Halogen headlight assembly!!! The new assembly alone will make a huge difference.
10-4, thank you for saving me from my own ignorance
Old 02-03-2021, 12:26 AM
alexmed2002

10-4, thank you for saving me from my own ignorance
Don't worry about it lol. If you make that mistake, you could be right back to square one.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:41 PM
Cruisin'

UPDATE: Replacing the driver's side headlight assembly fixed my problem. I'm very surprised at how bright the stock halogen bulbs are now. Total cost was around $500 inclusive of parts and labor. For anyone that might be interested now or in the future, the replacement part for the driver's side headlight assembly is TYC 20928600 on the RockAuto website.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:45 PM
alexmed2002

UPDATE: Replacing the driver's side headlight assembly fixed my problem. I'm very surprised at how bright the stock halogen bulbs are now. Total cost was around $500 inclusive of parts and labor. For anyone that might be interested now or in the future, the replacement part for the driver's side headlight assembly is TYC 20928600 on the RockAuto website.
Did you aim the headlights?
Old 02-11-2021, 10:02 AM
Cruisin'

Did you aim the headlights?
I'm assuming that the shop did this when they installed the new headlight. The light pattern seems good and no one flashed their high beams at me so I'm not too concerned. If that changes I'll take it back to have them re-aimed.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:28 PM
alexmed2002

I'm assuming that the shop did this when they installed the new headlight. The light pattern seems good and no one flashed their high beams at me so I'm not too concerned. If that changes I'll take it back to have them re-aimed.
Yah you should definitely take your car on a few rides at night just to make sure the light pattern looks right. I'd also recommend driving up to a wall and checking the pattern.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Yah you should definitely take your car on a few rides at night just to make sure the light pattern looks right. I'd also recommend driving up to a wall and checking the pattern.
Just make sure you part ~20-25 feet from said wall and use that for adjustment.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...adjust-lights/
Old 02-11-2021, 10:42 PM
alexmed2002

Just make sure you part ~20-25 feet from said wall and use that for adjustment.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...adjust-lights/
This .