Unadvertised differences between 2013 and 2016 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Unadvertised differences between 2013 and 2016 RDX

Having purchased one of the first 2013 RDX's to hit the market (had AWD and Technology package), after 80K miles, I thought that it was time for an upgrade. 3 weeks ago, I purchased a 2016 RDX (AWD and Advance Package). I thought that the 2013 was an awesome vehicle...the 2016 is even better! Acura's Marketing department did a great job of illustrating the new features in the recent refresh, but here are a few that missed the publication:

-Brakes: there was an Acura logo on the front brake calipers. Don't see one now, but the rims essentially hide the calipers. You wouldn't see it anyways.

-Tailgate: The 2013's power tailgate was only "powered" when closing. The 2016's is "powered" when opening too.

-The ELS stereo in the 2016 no longer has DVD-A capability. The Marketing department did a good job of explaining the many features that were added, though. I only had 1 DVD-A. Not thinking that I will miss this a lot, but the 1 DVD I had sure sounded great!

-The 2016 (at least mine) does not feature a clunking noise from the rear shocks.

-The 2016 does not have a strip of tinted glass across the top of the windshield.

-The 2016 does not have a "low washer fluid" warning on the MID. I realized that when the dealer forgot to top off the reservoir on delivery and I ran out this week. Sadly, I will miss this...

-The "stick" that used to hold open the hood on the 2013 has been replaced with a hydraulic hood prop. Much easier now!

-The carpet in the passenger compartment (hardly plush on the 2013) is even less plush on the 2016. The OEM mats, though, hide it well.

-The interior seems a bit quieter to me in the 2016 than the 2013.

-The turn signal stalk seems a bit more difficult to move up and down than the 2013. Still feel solid, though. The turn signal relay has a slightly different pitch to it too.

-Both outside side mirrors have a small frame around them. Maybe this is part of the heating capability? (Although the 2013's were heated too and I don't recall seeing this). I don't think that it's part of the auto-dimming feature as it's present on both side mirrors and I think that only the driver side mirror actually dims.

-The rear-view mirror no longer has a green LED light signifying that it is turned on, nor does it have a power switch to turn it off (never did turn mine off on the 2013). There do appear to now be 2 sensors in the mirror (one of them where the power switch used to be).

Just some interesting observations. It's a great vehicle and I look forward to owning and enjoying it for many years to come.

For others that made the same switch, what else did I (and Acura Marketing) miss?
The following 3 users liked this post by gbrucken:
hadokenuh (04-08-2016), musty hustla (03-20-2016), Stanuwmad (03-21-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by gbrucken
Having purchased one of the first 2013 RDX's to hit the market (had AWD and Technology package), after 80K miles, I thought that it was time for an upgrade. 3 weeks ago, I purchased a 2016 RDX (AWD and Advance Package). I thought that the 2013 was an awesome vehicle...the 2016 is even better! Acura's Marketing department did a great job of illustrating the new features in the recent refresh, but here are a few that missed the publication:

-Brakes: there was an Acura logo on the front brake calipers. Don't see one now, but the rims essentially hide the calipers. You wouldn't see it anyways.

-Tailgate: The 2013's power tailgate was only "powered" when closing. The 2016's is "powered" when opening too.

-The ELS stereo in the 2016 no longer has DVD-A capability. The Marketing department did a good job of explaining the many features that were added, though. I only had 1 DVD-A. Not thinking that I will miss this a lot, but the 1 DVD I had sure sounded great!

-The 2016 (at least mine) does not feature a clunking noise from the rear shocks.

-The 2016 does not have a strip of tinted glass across the top of the windshield.

-The 2016 does not have a "low washer fluid" warning on the MID. I realized that when the dealer forgot to top off the reservoir on delivery and I ran out this week. Sadly, I will miss this...

-The "stick" that used to hold open the hood on the 2013 has been replaced with a hydraulic hood prop. Much easier now!

-The carpet in the passenger compartment (hardly plush on the 2013) is even less plush on the 2016. The OEM mats, though, hide it well.

-The turn signal stalk seems a bit more difficult to move up and down than the 2013. Still feel solid, though. The turn signal relay has a slightly different pitch to it too.

-Both outside side mirrors have a small frame around them. Maybe this is part of the heating capability? (Although the 2013's were heated too and I don't recall seeing this). I don't think that it's part of the auto-dimming feature as it's present on both side mirrors and I think that only the driver side mirror actually dims.

-The rear-view mirror no longer has a green LED light signifying that it is turned on, nor does it have a power switch to turn it off (never did turn mine off on the 2013). There do appear to now be 2 sensors in the mirror (one of them where the power switch used to be).

Just some interesting observations. It's a great vehicle and I look forward to owning and enjoying it for many years to come.

For others that made the same switch, what else did I (and Acura Marketing) miss?
I appreciate the things you mentioned they changed. However this isn't exactly something acura marketing missed. How irrelevant to shoppers would it be if they mentioned a removed Acura badge on the calipers? For example. The general public don't really care about 90% of what you mentioned.

On the other hand, forum members (like myself) appreciate lists like these and I enjoy them. It would just not make sense for acura marketing to mention them because very very few people would appreciate it.

Its a nice list. Thanks for that
Old 03-20-2016, 04:10 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Indeed. The salesperson I dealt with failed to mention that the rear shocks didn't clunk.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

I have a 14 which is the same as the 13 and the rear door powers open and closed.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDX10
I appreciate the things you mentioned they changed. However this isn't exactly something acura marketing missed. How irrelevant to shoppers would it be if they mentioned a removed Acura badge on the calipers? For example. The general public don't really care about 90% of what you mentioned.

On the other hand, forum members (like myself) appreciate lists like these and I enjoy them. It would just not make sense for acura marketing to mention them because very very few people would appreciate it.

Its a nice list. Thanks for that
I can see the press release now...all new hydraulic hood lifter and interior carpet that matches the lushness of a putting green...I guess this is why I don't work in Marketing!

I was, however, impressed with how they worked in so much into the 2017 RDX press release. Obviously, there's no sense in adding the ones on my list to theirs. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I have a 14 which is the same as the 13 and the rear door powers open and closed.
On my 2013, if you hit the hatch button on the fob, it did indeed open automatically, but it seemed to me as if something just got the door partially opened and then the hydraulics took over and finished the job. Several times, I remember "catching" the door as I opened it from the latch on the tailgate to keep it from hitting something and I had no issues. When I did that a few nights ago on the 2016, it made a grinding noise (guess I'll have to be more careful). The manual also mentions hitting the latch once for it to open with the motor and twice for it to manually open. I don't remember seeing that option in the 2013. Something seems different.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I can see the press release now...all new hydraulic hood lifter and interior carpet that matches the lushness of a putting green...I guess this is why I don't work in Marketing!

I was, however, impressed with how they worked in so much into the 2017 RDX press release. Obviously, there's no sense in adding the ones on my list to theirs. Glad you enjoyed it.
I personally expect the switch to the 3G rdx to be quite drastic. The changes they did in the 2016 rdx honeatly should have been present in the 2013 model.

But good on you for noticing these details. Well done. I am sure you will uncover some more details as you go along!

Btw congrats on your new purchase, I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:38 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
How does the 2016 drive compared to the 2013. Noticed any improvements in mpgs?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went for a 2015 to a 2016 and am pleasantly surprised. The backup camera is much higher resolution and now shows all colors including green. The lines curve when you back up at an angle

The navigation screen is also much higher resolution, as is the display between the gauges.

Rides better and is quieter.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:37 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I had made a thread about this in the past. In reality the 13-16 RDX the tailgate opening is only hydraulic. There is no electric power. I mean if you press the button to open and stand back , nothing happens. You have to manually pull the gate approximately one foot for the hydraulic mechanism to engage. The closing is electric activated though. Initially I was worried that my tailgate was not functioning properly after seeing a video review about the tailgate opening in 16 model (simply press the button).
I appreciate the list made by the OP. Very useful for buyers on the edge.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Comfy
I had made a thread about this in the past. In reality the 13-16 RDX the tailgate opening is only hydraulic. There is no electric power. I mean if you press the button to open and stand back , nothing happens. You have to manually pull the gate approximately one foot for the hydraulic mechanism to engage. The closing is electric activated though. Initially I was worried that my tailgate was not functioning properly after seeing a video review about the tailgate opening in 16 model (simply press the button).
I appreciate the list made by the OP. Very useful for buyers on the edge.
All I know is that if I press the rear door button on the fob or interior button it opens up fully, automatically. Now it may be the hydrolics that does this but it still opens automatically.

That said if you open the rear door with the latch manually you have to lift it.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
How does the 2016 drive compared to the 2013. Noticed any improvements in mpgs?
I do believe that it is noticeably quieter, the engine noise may be just a bit diminished, but the bigger improvement has been in wind and road noise. I also believe that the steering system has been improved as well. There is better "road feel" and it seems tighter. Of course it could be that I've not hit as many potholes in this car (yet) as I did in the 2013, so it's still aligned!

MPG seems about the same to me, although my engine is still breaking in a bit.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:08 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

All I know is that if I press the rear door button on the fob or interior button it opens up fully, automatically. Now it may be the hydrolics that does this but it still opens automatically.

That said if you open the rear door with the latch manually you have to lift it.
You are right about the automatic opening from the key fob and interior button on dash in the 13-15 models (Yes, that's automatic). The difference in the 16 RDX is when opening manually from the latch. Apparently it's a lot easier compared to the pre-facelift model as you don't have to pull even little bit .
Old 03-21-2016, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Just test drove '16 FWD Tech Plus. Found a few more things: USB is now a port instead of a cable that I have in mine. The engine is a bit more refined. The stereo seem to have a better bass response and overall tighter sound. Dashboard plastic is matte finish, my '14 is somewhat more polished. Dash color is also a little different.

Overall, I love FWD handling! So light, so peppy.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:44 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Can those hood struts be fitted on a 2013?
Old 03-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Comfy
You are right about the automatic opening from the key fob and interior button on dash in the 13-15 models (Yes, that's automatic). The difference in the 16 RDX is when opening manually from the latch. Apparently it's a lot easier compared to the pre-facelift model as you don't have to pull even little bit .
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is disappointing to hear. My lease on a 2014 AWD Tech Package is up in September and I am likely going to get the 2017 model since I have been happy with my RDX.

My eyes are somewhat light sensitive and I like having this feature. I wear eyeglasses the majority of the time, and while I do have a pair of prescription sunglasses, I don't always wear them.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
Can those hood struts be fitted on a 2013?
Unfortunately they can't. I had the same idea when I saw a '16 with the struts in my dealer's showroom. I spent some time comparing the mounting area between the two models, and the '16 has fenders with extra mounting points to accept the hood struts. The hood itself would work - you can see the mounting holes on the 13-15, and can see the strut hole in the hood on the 16. Maybe if you were really creative you could create mounting points somehow on the fenders, but not sure it's worth the trouble....

andy
The following 2 users liked this post by andysinnh:
Comfy (04-07-2016), Joe Las Vegas (04-03-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 05:49 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Good list, thanks.
Do you or anybody notice the difference with those six additional horsepower and one lb-ft of torque? Acura claimed it would noticeably boost "lift-off" in low-speed driving power.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:56 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by cheffip
Good list, thanks.
Do you or anybody notice the difference with those six additional horsepower and one lb-ft of torque? Acura claimed it would noticeably boost "lift-off" in low-speed driving power.
Ha ha ha. Best joke by Acura.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:48 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Interesting. I have 14 Tech AWD and mine doesn't have a low windshield washer fluid indicator and it drove me nuts (until it became my wife's car). Apparently your 13 had it? Why would Acura take that away?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
The reason I'm in a RDX now is because it finally has parking sensors,LED rear lights,rear A/C vent, blind spot monitoring,fog lamps.Tech safety features etc.
The RDX was very late to the party with those features.

The lack of a low washer fluid indicator is not an issue for me.

Also the lack of LED fog lights when you have LED headlights is stupid.The fogs should be LED like most Lexus models.

Last edited by colt427; 04-04-2016 at 08:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stanuwmad (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 AM
Intermediate

Another minor difference is that the sun-glass compartment, when open, partially blocked the rear view mirror in the 2015, but not in the 2016.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by colt427
The reason I'm in a RDX now is because it finally has parking sensors,LED rear lights,rear A/C vent, blind spot monitoring,fog lamps.Tech safety features etc.
The RDX was very late to the party with those features.

The lack of a low washer fluid indicator is not an issue for me.

Also the lack of LED fog lights when you have LED headlights is stupid.The fogs should be LED like most Lexus models.
I test drove 2016 RDX Tech during night time and I am also surprised at the blind (dark?) spot that those LED headlights have on the bottom. HID headlights on my 2014 RDX don't have that dark spot. I never even use fog lights on my 2014 RDX. I agree, Acura should have had install LED fog lights on all RDX's.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Other than the new color choices, are there any minor changes to the 2017 that anyone's aware of?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cheffip
Other than the new color choices, are there any minor changes to the 2017 that anyone's aware of?
I think fuel economy numbers for 2017 are back to 2015. I haven't noticed anything else.

2016:
RDX 20 / 29 / 23
RDX AWD 19 / 28 / 22

2017:
RDX 20 / 28 / 23
RDX AWD 19 / 27 / 22
Old 04-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Stanuwmad
I think fuel economy numbers for 2017 are back to 2015. I haven't noticed anything else.

2016:
RDX 20 / 29 / 23
RDX AWD 19 / 28 / 22

2017:
RDX 20 / 28 / 23
RDX AWD 19 / 27 / 22
weird, why did it change?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Advanced

I bet someone changed testing procedures or whoever tested 2017 had slightly different driving habits? I seriously doubt 2017 is any different from 2016 in mechanics. My 2014 AWD gets about 22.8 MPG mixed driving. Therefore, 2016 FWD should get around 24 MPG in my case. I follow fuel estimates based off what my car is showing me.

Last edited by Stanuwmad; 04-08-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 AM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
The 2013-2015 has chrome trim around the shifter/cup holder/slide tray...

the 2016 has a cheaper looking silverish aluminum....

Unadvertised differences between 2013 and 2016 RDX-u90a7ao.jpg

Last edited by Acura604; 05-02-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirleton
Indeed. The salesperson I dealt with failed to mention that the rear shocks didn't clunk.
There's a bushing that goes bad on the upper control arm that can cause that. Did you ever have that looked at?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:41 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
weird, why did it change?
Testing changed for MY2017 vehicles.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/23/epa-update-mpg-sticker-rule-2017-model-year-vehicles/
Old 05-03-2016, 04:59 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura604

I had a 2015 loaner when my 2016 was in the shop, hated the chrome trim as the finger print collector.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonElan
I had a 2015 loaner when my 2016 was in the shop, hated the chrome trim as the finger print collector.
Interesting. this weekend I installed the wood trim on my '15 and cleaned the console - and aside from a couple drips of coffee from the chrome trim, I found no fingerprints! Seriously, though - the changes they made between the 15 and 16/17 in terms of interior changes was confusing. Change the plastic from more of a metallic grey style to black, change the trim from chrome to brushed aluminum - but ADD shiny trim around the air vents on the dash. Confusing to say the least.....
Old 05-03-2016, 10:41 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

1+ to that. Thanks for the catch. I love chrome wherever it is. It gives a premium look and feel in my opinion. This is one of the features that pleases me while looking at the inside of RDX (there isn't much else worthwhile )
Also holding the chrome plated door handle feels so nice. I hope the door handles are still chrome plated in the new version. I wished my car would've come with chrome air vents like the new one.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:19 AM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
^^^ 2016 interior door handles are not chrome.

one of my upcoming projects is to replace my vents with the 2016 covers... must be a super easy way to do this... assuming they are the same size.

BUT the vent covers are not chrome... they are the same brushed aluminum...
Old 05-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Instructor

^^^ 2016 interior door handles are not chrome.

one of my upcoming projects is to replace my vents with the 2016 covers... must be a super easy way to do this... assuming they are the same size.

BUT the vent covers are not chrome... they are the same brushed aluminum...
Can you change the vent covers to black? I remember reading some ILX owners did that. (I'm into minimalism, not bling )