Two potential problems on my 2016 RDX. Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Two potential problems on my 2016 RDX. Help!!!

Two potential problems I've encountered. Any thoughts?

1) Is it normal for hot air to come out of an air vent (mostly on the one left of the steering wheel) without the heat turned on? This has been happening in my 2016 RDX. Is the heat from the engine getting into the cabin via the vent? Is this normal? If I press the air recirculation button the hot air goes away, so I'm thinking the heat is coming from the engine.

2) When I turn the lighting switch to daytime running lights only and then turn it back to auto, then I try to turn on the fog lights they don't turn on. Otherwise if the switch is left on auto, the fog lights work fine. Anyone else experience this?
Old 07-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
1. Completely normal.

2. I have no idea.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
2) When I turn the lighting switch to daytime running lights only and then turn it back to auto, then I try to turn on the fog lights they don't turn on. Otherwise if the switch is left on auto, the fog lights work fine. Anyone else experience this?
In Canada we don't have a position for daytime running lights only.

The light switch has 4 positions.

#1 is the off position. When the engine is running only the strip of white LEDs at the front of the vehicle come on at high brightenss (i.e. the DRLS)

#2 Turns on the the parking, side markers, tail and rear license lights. In this case the strip of white LEDs at the front of the vehicle come on at reduced brightness (not DRL mode) because they are acting as parking lights.

#3 Auto position. When it is still daylight no lights will be on except the fron DRLs (i.e. white LEDs at high brightness). When it gets dark, the headlights, parking lights,side marker, tail, and rear license plate lights come on. At this time the front white LEDs will switch to reduced brightness because they are now acting as parking lights and not DRLS.

# 4 All the same lights that come on in position #3, except that it doesn't have to be dark at the time.

The fog lights will only operate when the low beams are on. So if you switch to AUTO the fog lights will come on only if it is dark enough to switch on the low beams. The fog lights will not operate when the switch is "off" or in "parking light" positions, or in "Auto" position during daylight, because the low beams are not on in those positions.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 07-08-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks guys! So #1 is normal. And #2 might be normal, I'm gonna test it out at night again to see what happens but good to know fog lights only come on if DTRLs are on
Old 07-09-2017, 08:15 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Thanks guys! So #1 is normal. And #2 might be normal, I'm gonna test it out at night again to see what happens but good to know fog lights only come on if DTRLs are on
The fog lights will only come on if the low beam headlights are on (not with DTRLs or DRLs). The DRLs will actually go out when the headlights are on. To be more precise, the white strip of LED's that you call DRL's will dim in brightness and become parking lights.

When your RDX is in the auto position, you can tell when the headlights have switch on by looking for the green "headlight" icon on the dashboard.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
The only time we go to #4, full lights, is when it rains. Auto the rest of the time - works well.

I'm not aware of an off/off switch for the DRLs in our U.S.-spec car. I just wish they automatically switched to Auto if I ever had the switch in Off. I see too many cars running DRLs at night because the driver thinks all is well when the instruments are lit up. But no tail lights- very dangerous for the car and following traffic.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:10 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

If it's daytime, the fog lights won't come on. They only work when the headlights are on.