TSX 2nd Gen to RDX or TLX? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSX 2nd Gen to RDX or TLX? Thoughts?

So I have a 1.5 year old Acura TSX (its a 2013 that I bought certified) and I'm debating if I want to go to something with AWD as I live in Chicago and it would be very useful to have. I do like my TSX, so I'm wondering what the pros/cons would be of me changing from a TSX to a RDX (probably a 2014 or 2015). I have the tech package on the TSX and would do the same on the RDX. Has anyone else made that switch? What do you miss the most about the TSX and what is better about the RDX (other than passenger/truck space and AWD)?

I also looked and the TLX is available, but only the 2015 AWD which I know had issues. I also don't want a big car and the TSX is as big/long as I want to go.

I am a slightly sporty driver and do enjoy driving the TSX if that helps!
Old 01-02-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the good news is; it's still an acura! the RDX will be very familiar to you!
you didn't say if your TSX was a four cylinder or not, but the RDX of that year comes with a silky smooth v6!!
one of the best things about going to a crossover is the high command seating/view of the road.

and I know you mistyped, but I had stumbled on your length of ownership/how old the TSX is...
I had to literally count on my fingers...'13,'14,'15,'16,'17
LOL
Old 01-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
the good news is; it's still an acura! the RDX will be very familiar to you!
you didn't say if your TSX was a four cylinder or not, but the RDX of that year comes with a silky smooth v6!!
one of the best things about going to a crossover is the high command seating/view of the road.

and I know you mistyped, but I had stumbled on your length of ownership/how old the TSX is...
I had to literally count on my fingers...'13,'14,'15,'16,'17
LOL
I meant to say that I've owned it for 1.5 years as I bought it memorial day 2016, but yes it's much older than that overall! Does the RDX feel gigantic to drive or about the same as the TSX? I'm sure the TSX is a bit more sporty, but does the RDX feel like a SUV or very close to driving a TSX? I have the 4 cylinder tech package!
Old 01-02-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by jazzneel
I meant to say that I've owned it for 1.5 years as I bought it memorial day 2016, but yes it's much older than that overall! Does the RDX feel gigantic to drive or about the same as the TSX? I'm sure the TSX is a bit more sporty, but does the RDX feel like a SUV or very close to driving a TSX? I have the 4 cylinder tech package!
you're getting into subjective territory.
Disclaimer; I dont own an RDX, rather I have a 2006 TL 6MT. I like my rides sporty and quick.
your best bet is to TEST DRIVE THE VEHICLES you are interested in...then you can get your OWN feelings, instead of relying on some ones subjective feelings.

Most OBVIOUSLY, the RDX is a SUV/CUV and will be much higher than the TSX, which will induce body roll.
Try to get away from asking about feelings, cuz feelings are subjective.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:46 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
The V6 RDX feels like a small nimble ... FAST... suv.

dont bother with the TLX...if you're going to look at the 4banger TLX it won't be much different that what you have now. (i've had a few loaners and was not impressed)
Old 01-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
So I have a 1.5 year old Acura TSX (its a 2013 that I bought certified) and I'm debating if I want to go to something with AWD as I live in Chicago and it would be very useful to have. I do like my TSX, so I'm wondering what the pros/cons would be of me changing from a TSX to a RDX (probably a 2014 or 2015). I have the tech package on the TSX and would do the same on the RDX. Has anyone else made that switch? What do you miss the most about the TSX and what is better about the RDX (other than passenger/truck space and AWD)?

I also looked and the TLX is available, but only the 2015 AWD which I know had issues. I also don't want a big car and the TSX is as big/long as I want to go.

I am a slightly sporty driver and do enjoy driving the TSX if that helps!
Test drive!! The RDX 2G has good power, but if you like a bit of sporty drive, it may not be your thing. As it is designed for comfort and quiet (which it accomplishes well) the handling is soft and prone to body roll. The front seats are flat and cushy, lacking much bolstering. If you are looking for that old-school, solid Acura feel in an SUV, this is not it. If you want to stay Acura, but move away from old-school Acura, this very well might be the SUV for you. A better wheel & tire set up on the RDX might do a lot. I've only driven them with the tall skinny stockers.

You'd have to go to the 1G RDX to get the sporty SUV, which doesn't make sense coming from a 2013 model.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 01-02-2018 at 04:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-02-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 08:52 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TLX has some major problems that may not be apparent on your test drive. I had 2016 TLX V6 SH-AWD Tech (Canadian), and I couldn't live with it. I drive 2017 RDX Elite now, and it's way better experience for me. I do miss TLX sometimes (quiet ride, nicer interior), but negative experiences I had with it was too much (Jerky shift, Hesitant to downshift when merging on hwy, Imperfect fit and finish, VIBRATION at hwy speeds, etc..).

As others have said, test drive all models you are interested in, but insist on hwy driving for a minimum of 10 minutes(65mph - 75mph range) if you test drive TLX.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
I had a ‘10 TSX and I traded for a ‘15 TLX. Though the TLX 4-cyl Tech was an excellent car for me (leased, now gone) I would have been better off staying with the TSX financially. We had a ‘13 RDX when we still had the TSX so switching back and forth was no problem. But AWD aside, for a northern climate you really need four winter tires, both for traction and stopping distance. My B.I.L. In Canada who can well afford it passed on the AWD for his Equinox in favor of other glitz (hmmm... did I just say Equinox and glitz in the same sentence?). He actually knows how to drive in winter unlike so many people out there, so he deemed AWD unnecessary. His driving includes winter trips to the family farm in snowdrift country.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CanTex
I had a ‘10 TSX and I traded for a ‘15 TLX. Though the TLX 4-cyl Tech was an excellent car for me (leased, now gone) I would have been better off staying with the TSX financially. We had a ‘13 RDX when we still had the TSX so switching back and forth was no problem. But AWD aside, for a northern climate you really need four winter tires, both for traction and stopping distance. My B.I.L. In Canada who can well afford it passed on the AWD for his Equinox in favor of other glitz (hmmm... did I just say Equinox and glitz in the same sentence?). He actually knows how to drive in winter unlike so many people out there, so he deemed AWD unnecessary. His driving includes winter trips to the family farm in snowdrift country.
How did you like the RDX vs the TSX? I think that was still 1st gen (the TSX) but overall driving impressions?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:52 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I had a TLX SH-AWD and TLX regular as a loaner when my RDX was in for service. I do not like the TLX as it is too low, and cramped. I love my RDX and will never go back to a car as I just love the room of a SUV.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thought I'd weigh in... not sure which model year RDX you are looking at (if you mentioned it, sorry, I didn't see it) but I own a 2010 TSX base and my mom owns a 2014 RDX V6 Tech AWD and they are very similar driving experiences. The first noticeable difference is that my TSX is a 4 cylinder with 201 hp and the RDX is a V6 with 273 hp, so the RDX has much more power. You can tell that it's larger/higher off the ground as it is not as zippy as the TSX given it's size, so you wouldn't whip around corners as nicely as in the TSX. The AWD on the RDX is very nice too - plows through snowy conditions way better than the FWD TSX. All in all they are both very good options... RDX has more power (and is still very fun to drive) but TSX is just a little more sporty as it is closer to the ground.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:20 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the snow

Originally Posted by imaginationbox
TLX has some major problems that may not be apparent on your test drive. I had 2016 TLX V6 SH-AWD Tech (Canadian), and I couldn't live with it. I drive 2017 RDX Elite now, and it's way better experience for me. I do miss TLX sometimes (quiet ride, nicer interior), but negative experiences I had with it was too much (Jerky shift, Hesitant to downshift when merging on hwy, Imperfect fit and finish, VIBRATION at hwy speeds, etc..).

As others have said, test drive all models you are interested in, but insist on hwy driving for a minimum of 10 minutes(65mph - 75mph range) if you test drive TLX.
Can you describe how the SH-AWD in the TLX vs the AWD in the RDX....were in snow conditions...I'm torn on the rdx not having SH-AWD in the 2nd gen... I prob need the hatch more than the sporty ride of the tlx but I've never had the sh-awd but would like to get it... I'm coming from a 00 TL that I have to total...got t boned... it had 351k and was still going strong...☹️