RDX NAV Update Letter - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

RDX NAV Update Letter

Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 AM   #1
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

RDX NAV Update Letter

Hey folks. Today I just received in the mail a letter that my 2016 RDX NAV needs an update. Theyíre giving me an offer to buy it for $99 for a limited time until June 30th. After that itíll be $149. Supposedly this will update the NAV to 2017 standards. Anyone else get this? And if so, have you purchased it?
Carbon2008RDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

It really doesn't need an update, it's just that a new version with subtle changes is available. Have purchased them for our 3G TL each year (2014 update final release) and never knew the difference other than it was the latest available.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
mrgold35

After 11 years of using Acura Navi, they never up the prices later in the year. They usually start at $199 at the Oct/Nov fall release, $149 by the new year, and $99 mid-late spring until the new map update is available in the fall again. Acura might make minor version updates during the calendar year; but, I haven't seen any evidence of this. There are also suppose to be firmware updates with the Navi disk; but, I can't find any documentation on what systems are being updated (entertainment, bluetooth, navi, etc...). I think Acura is feeling the pain of 4G and smart-phone apps taking $$ out the bottom line.
mrgold35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

Updates don't really update much. I upgraded the nav on my 2013 RDX and it still showed us plowing through cornfields on Hwy. 24 between Fort Wayne and Toledo. On our '17 RDX our housing development that was built about two years earlier wasn't in there. So sorry, first line of defense is my cell phone, backed up by the latest Rand McNally Road Atlas.
CanTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Thanks for the replies. After some thought I decided to buy the update anyways. What the hell. If I didnít then Iíd constantly be thinking what am I missing? Total cost after shipping and tax for the DVD was $109.49. Hope they donít take 6-8 weeks to send it to me!
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

Waste of money.
dirleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX View Post
Thanks for the replies. After some thought I decided to buy the update anyways. What the hell. If I didnít then Iíd constantly be thinking what am I missing? Total cost after shipping and tax for the DVD was $109.49. Hope they donít take 6-8 weeks to send it to me!
That's about what I thought - what the hell. It comes FedEx, although it may be FedEx ground...and then today I get an email from FedEx about service disruptions due to bad weather in Memphis.......like I'm in a big hurry or something.
jcross1231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTex View Post
Updates don't really update much. I upgraded the nav on my 2013 RDX and it still showed us plowing through cornfields on Hwy. 24 between Fort Wayne and Toledo. On our '17 RDX our housing development that was built about two years earlier wasn't in there. So sorry, first line of defense is my cell phone, backed up by the latest Rand McNally Road Atlas.
Hmm...well plowing thru cornfields is fun, and if you get to the back corner, well, what you can do back there is only limited by your imagination, so, maybe I will consider shelling out for the update.

NOT.
Skidoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM   #9
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcross1231 View Post
That's about what I thought - what the hell. It comes FedEx, although it may be FedEx ground...and then today I get an email from FedEx about service disruptions due to bad weather in Memphis.......like I'm in a big hurry or something.
Yup. I just got an email saying itís being shipped via FedEx. I didnít pay extra for expedited shipping as itís not an emergency. Lol. I suspect itíll deliver in a couple days.
Old Today, 07:45 AM   #10
mrgold35

Just make sure to have the engine running when updating the Navi. My first Navi update killed the battery on my MDX after 20 minutes when I just had the navi on and engine off.
mrgold35 is offline   Reply With Quote