Question for all RDX advance owners regarding heated/ventilated seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Question for all RDX advance owners regarding heated/ventilated seats

I was wondering about the heated/ventilated seats in the 2016 RDX advance and how their operation functions compares to my TLX. Specifically, my question is if the heated/ventilated seat button stays on when the car is turned off and back on again, or if the heated seat selection needs to be chosen again once the car is restarted.
I believe with the RDX tech, it's a toggle switch that stays on and retains the setting the next time the car is turned ON. (either high or low setting). I was wondering how the RDX advance package is, since, from the looks of the buttons, they aren't the same toggle style.

I'm not at all thrilled with the fact that I have to continually turn ON my heated seats in my TLX every time I restart the car. I'm hoping Acura hasn't continued this with the RDX advance. If anyone with an RDX advance could answer the question, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:05 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Only the Advanced/Elite have ventilated seats. The operation is described in this section of the owners manual.

When the engine is first started, both heating and ventilation will return to the off setting.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
When the engine is first started, both heating and ventilation will return to the off setting.
I was afraid it would work that way. It's unfortunate. I was very spoiled by my old TSX, with has the high/low heated toggle style-switch (same as the rdx tech switches). In my TSX, I would turn on the heated seat leave it on ALL FALL AND WINTER. Now, with my TLX (non-advance), I have to touch the screen and reset the seat-heater EVERY time I get in and start the car. I know it's not a big deal, but it is truly a pain-in-the-ass to have to go through those steps after not even thinking about it before in my 2008. It's a step backwards, for sure!

RDX-Rick......I want to thank you for taking the time of finding the page in the manual and posting the pic and narrative from the owners manual. It's very helpful to see it officially.

On a side note, that tells me if I ever get an RDX, I'd HAVE get a tech and certainly not an advance because of the seat switches. My next car will definitely have heated seats that stay on AND a heated steering wheel (like my wife's Infiniti) Are you paying attention, Acura???

Sorry for the rant, guys.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by bsprinker
I believe with the RDX tech, it's a toggle switch that stays on and retains the setting the next time the car is turned ON. (either high or low setting).
I'm glad the information helped. Just to confirm your suspicions I am including the information for the heated seats in the base and technology models. It looks like it will work as you described. However the term "Briefly press the switch on the opposite side to turn the heaters off", makes it sound like a momentary switch (i.e. toggles an electric circuit) rather than a switch that locks in position. It's probably just a bad choice of words.

The Elite/Advanced models don't add a lot of extra features over the technology model, but if you feel these extra features would be useful to you, it seems you would be giving them up for a very minor inconvenience of pushing that heater button.

I always have to turn the heaters off after about 10 minutes because of the heat. So even if they were toggle switches, they would probably be off the next time I started the vehicle anyway. Admittedly it would be nice to leave the seats in the on position during times I was remote starting the engine.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Racer

Thanks for that info on the base/tech heated seat description as well. After viewing the picture and reading the description, I think the heated seat controls are exactly the same as my old TSX, so they would stay ON as the switch locks into high or low position.

I really like what Acura has done to the looks of the 2016 RDX (not that the 2013-2015 rdx looked bad), but some of their choices like the seat controls and slow navigation and infotainment system just seem sub-par compared to the competition. Then when you take into account the lack of options on an Acura when those same options are offered by competitors (ie. heated steering wheel, pan roof); They are just poor decisions. If I were buying today, I would be hard-pressed to pay anywhere close to msrp for an RDX before SERIOUSLY considering it's competition, which generally have more options. That's saying a lot too since I am a Honda/Acura guy who generally loves their cars/designs.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Jeez -- the buttons are right underneath your fingers when you're seated in the driver's seat. It takes less than one tenth of one calorie of energy to turn them on. This is definitely some first world problem stuff right here.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Desert Ridge
Jeez -- the buttons are right underneath your fingers when you're seated in the driver's seat. It takes less than one tenth of one calorie of energy to turn them on. This is definitely some first world problem stuff right here.
I can only explain that for the last 15+ years (two Acuras and one Honda, all with toggle-style locking heated seat buttons), I have NOT had to turn my heated seat on at every startup. Now that I have to remember, it is a bit annoying.
And since this is the rdx forum, I won't belabor the additional steps in my TLX, but it's a nuisance at best.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
^^
The TLX's heated/ventilated seats can be set to "Auto" in the Advance trim. It works great.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:16 PM
Racer

You're exactly right. The seat in the TLX advance trim can be set to "auto" on setting. If Acura made an advance trim in the 4cyl, I would have spent more $$ and purchased it instead.