one headlamp going dim

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
one headlamp going dim

Hi,

We have a 2013 RDX Tech FWD. Tonight I noticed that the driver-side HID headlamp seemed dim and/or yellowish. I assume this is a sign that it is going bad. If so, how soon do you think it will be before it goes out completely -- hours, days, weeks, months?

The car is still under the CPO warranty, and it even has an extended warranty, but I assume this would not be covered, right?

I guess I will call the dealer tomorrow, but I thought I'd try to prepare myself for bad news. I assume these are expensive. Also, should both headlamps be replaced at the same time, or might the other one be good for quite a while longer?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Gregg
Old 10-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by vbgregg
Hi,

We have a 2013 RDX Tech FWD. Tonight I noticed that the driver-side HID headlamp seemed dim and/or yellowish. I assume this is a sign that it is going bad. If so, how soon do you think it will be before it goes out completely -- hours, days, weeks, months?

The car is still under the CPO warranty, and it even has an extended warranty, but I assume this would not be covered, right?

I guess I will call the dealer tomorrow, but I thought I'd try to prepare myself for bad news. I assume these are expensive. Also, should both headlamps be replaced at the same time, or might the other one be good for quite a while longer?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Gregg
It is most likely the ballast in most cases. They are expensive to replace but if you have a warranty this should definitely be covered. PS. No need to replace both if the other seems fine. Waste of money. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:50 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
If the headlight isn't covered by the warranty, you could flip/flop the bulbs. You can then determine if the bulb is just going bad or if the ballast is the problem.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Thank you both for the responses. It sounds like a failed ballast might be covered by the warranty, whereas a failed bulb would not be covered. Is that right?

How difficult is it to flip/flop the bulbs? Might I end up damaging the "good" bulb? If the headlamp is going to need to be fixed anyway, should I just let the service person determine whether it's a bad bulb or a bad ballast? Hopefully they would be honest about what needs to be replaced.

Thanks,

Gregg
Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
HID bulbs will often change color or dim before failing. In my experience a bad ballast would result in the light not coming on at all. If it is the bulb, I would recommend replacing both at the same time. They are not expensive if you don't buy from the dealer. As to the warranty, just take it in and find out. If it isn't covered, you may want to DIY to save $$$.